Send Topic Print
New 2003 Savage Owner (Read 396 times)
Drewdeluxe
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: New 2003 Savage Owner
Reply #15 - 06/03/19 at 19:47:47

Ok... I installed a new battery, pulled the spark plug, sprayed some fog oil in, and drained the old gas, and put in new gas..

Now starts, but it won't turn over.. Not sure what to do from here..

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #16 - 06/04/19 at 02:54:10

Drewdeluxe wrote on 06/03/19 at 19:47:47:
Now starts, but it won't turn over.. Not sure what to do from here..

I am not sure what that means.

"Now Starts" - implies the engine fires up and comes to life when you turn on the ignition and push the starter button.

"Won't Turn Over" - implies the engine is stuck and won't rotate.

Does the engine rotate when you push the starter button?

Does the engine fire (indicating it has ignition, compression and fuel/air?

Does the engine "run"?

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #17 - 06/04/19 at 05:50:12

If it turns over (starter runs & motor turns) but doesn't start ,you may have used to much fogging oil ,pull and clean the plug once more, and spray some starting fluid (ether )into the air box ,the motor can be a bit hard to fire up the first time . remember not to run the starter for long periods of time ,and allow it to cool off in between . You also need to be sure the battery is fully charged , if it gets down to less than about 10 volts (read  when turning the motor over) ,the sparkplug wont fire. you can jump the battery off a car battery, but the car should NOT be running, ( max charging rate for a motorcycle battery is only 2 amps, the car 's output is 55/60 avg.)

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
Drewdeluxe
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #18 - 06/04/19 at 10:01:04

Yes - the engine fires up and comes to life, but it's stuck and won't rotate.

I think Batman is correct, I most likely put too much fog oil, I'll get some starting fluid and a battery charger. If that works and the bike starts, will that take care of me over spraying the fog oil?

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #19 - 06/04/19 at 10:07:45

If it's hydraulically locked, you'll wreck something.
Pull the plug and spin it over.
Probably won't Fire until you clean the plug anyway, if it's loaded up with oil.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #20 - 06/04/19 at 10:34:10

Drewdeluxe wrote on 06/04/19 at 10:01:04:

Now I am even more confused than before! Huh

Let me try a different language:

When you push the starter button - Is there Joy?

Will the engine - Tick Over?

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #21 - 06/04/19 at 10:39:06

Dave wrote on 06/04/19 at 10:34:10:
Drewdeluxe wrote on 06/04/19 at 10:01:04:

Now I am even more confused than before! Huh

It's a zombie.   Shocked

WWW   IP Logged
Drewdeluxe
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #22 - 06/04/19 at 10:43:50

Lol sorry, I'm new at this and not good at explaining it.. Kinda sounds like this (forward to the 1min mark):

https://youtu.be/uk2_hMeDO2U

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #23 - 06/04/19 at 11:45:48

So:

You turn on the key, push the starter button, and the starter turns the engine over (round and round) - but it does not start?

It just makes noises as long as you push the starter button and make the starter work.

Correct?

IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #24 - 06/04/19 at 12:56:49

When you attempt to start, have the "choke" for want of the correct description pulled right out and don't open the throttle until it's running.  That's the book method of starting. If that doesn't work try turning he petcock to prime position, give the carburettor bowl a sharp tap with a screwdriver handle and see if you have any luck.

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
Drewdeluxe
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #25 - 06/04/19 at 16:35:43

Ok latest update.. Sprayed some starting fluid into the air box and she started, but only with the choke out.. Once I let go of the choke, she doesn't have enough to stay on.. Also A LOT of smoke coming off the exhaust, not sure if this is a normal thing for a bike that hasn't been alive for years.. Started her twice, then stopped, didn't want to continue without posting here first..

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #26 - 06/04/19 at 17:35:50

Drewdeluxe wrote on 06/04/19 at 16:35:43:
OAlso A LOT of smoke coming off the exhaust, not sure if this is a normal thing for a bike that hasn't been alive for years..

Absolutely....especially one that you have sprayed fogging oil into the cylinder.

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #27 - 06/04/19 at 18:58:00

Yes,  let it run! ,warm it up until it will run with the choke off, if the carb is OK. you can turn the idle up a bit.  the smoke is the fogging oil ,it will clear, the most it might do is foul the plug , but it won't hurt  anything. the plug can be cleaned and reused. Don't let it run sitting on the sidestand . if you not going to ride it ,at least place a box fan on high in front of it so it wont overheat.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #28 - 06/05/19 at 07:35:32

Hopefully, you changed the oil before you started it up if it sat for that long.  You don't want to be running oil with gas in it.

Your video sounds normal for a bike that sat that long and you got it fired up so that's good. Carry on with what batman said, it hasn't run for a long time.  At the very least, it needs the "cobwebs" blown out of it.    If you still struggle to keep it running, get a new petcock and ditch the fuel filter.  If it's still having issues, then you'll need to start looking into potential carb issues.

BUT...don't fix anything until it is PROVEN to be broken!  Too many people start taking crap apart before the really understand the full extent of the issues and end up causing more problems than they started with.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #29 - 06/05/19 at 07:49:14

ohiomoto wrote on 06/05/19 at 07:35:32:
Hopefully, you changed the oil before you started it up if it sat for that long.  You don't want to be running oil with gas in it.

That goes against what most of us believe is good for a dormant engine that is coming out of long storage.  If you drain the oil and put in a new filter - the oil system is now dry and there will not be any lubrication until the oil pump moves enough oil to fill the empty filter cavity.  A dormant engine has plenty of time for the oil to drain off the bearing surfaces - and there is no reason to make this worse by letting the remaining oil drain out of the filter and pump.

I believe it is better to get the engine started and use whatever oil is in the engine to oil the bearing surfaces as quickly as possible - then change the oil and filter after the initial run.  If the crankcase oil is contaminated with fuel or water then I guess it is OK to drain and refill the sump - but leave the filter in place for the initial start.  And you definitely should oil the piston/cylinder and open up the valve inspection cap and oil the cam and rocker surfaces.

If you really wanted to be "sure" about oiling things properly before turning the engine over......maybe you could overfill the crankcase and get all the bearings lubed - then drain the oil and refill to the proper level.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/04/24 at 04:27:31

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › New 2003 Savage Owner

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.