Send Topic Print
New 2003 Savage Owner (Read 396 times)
Drewdeluxe
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

New 2003 Savage Owner
05/29/19 at 18:37:54

New member here, just purchased my Savage this past weekend, and excited to join this community as I’ve heard nothing up good things about it through social media and YouTube.

My bike is a 2003 that has been under a carport for the past 6+ years. I have two major questions:

·   I’m currently in process of draining the old gas, cleaning the carbs and an oil change. Going to try to charge the battery and see if it’s still usable, otherwise I’ll replace that as well. Is there anything I am missing before I start her up?

·   A few rust and grim still remain after a basic wash. Noticed what looks like rust and junk in between the belt divots, will try to wire brush them out, and not sure what exactly it is on the handle bars, what would be the best way to clean these off?

Any additional tips and advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

IP Logged
Drewdeluxe
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: New 2003 Savage Owner
Reply #1 - 05/29/19 at 18:39:32

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 05/29/19 at 18:51:56

Don't mess with the oil until it's running.
Don't go into the carb until you try to get it running.
Dump the gas.
Put a half gallon of fresh, regular gas in.
Put the Petcock on prime.
See what happens.

A new battery would only make sense.

Otherwise, no new spark plug, no mechanical anything, until it Tells you what it wants.

Some ether to shoot under the seat would be a good plan.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
SpamyToo

Reply #3 - 05/29/19 at 19:28:30

I believe in your pictures thats the aluminum corroding and causing the clear finish to bubble. You cant really clean that.  

You can brush it off with fine steel wool or a small light weight brass brush.  It will make it look a bit better, but if getting at it too aggressive you will probably end up losing any painted on markings.  Also it will end up looking a little patchy as the corroded parts will come clean and the remaining clear coated parts might just look dull.

You can polish out those parts and make them look new again, but you will lose those marks. Then you can clear coat them again to keep them looking new.

But just to spruce it up a bit for now, I would just start with a small lightweight brass brush and brush it off.  It will look better, and probably decent from 8 feet away.  Smiley

WWW   IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #4 - 05/29/19 at 20:08:38

It's important to remove the sparkplug(and clean and gap it) and spray fogging oil ,or a couple of teaspoons of motor oil into the cylinder,  I would then jack the rear wheel up ,and place the bike in gear ,and turn the wheel by hand to rotate the motor and spread the oil ,and to make sure the piston rings are not frozen to the cylinder walls and insure you don't damage them , BEFORE you even try to start it. the oil has drained off these parts eons ago, on a bike that's been sitting that long, and there is not any oil pressure until the motor actually runs.  Don't crank the starter more than a minute or two (if it doesn't start by then it's not going to) and let it sit 15 or 20 to allow it to cool in between or it can be damaged  also $$$$$.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #5 - 05/30/19 at 14:00:20

Welcome to SS

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Drewdeluxe
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 05/30/19 at 15:05:09

Wow thank you for the great advice, looks like I was going about this all backwards. I just ordered a new battery online, should be here next week. Will be working on a draining the old gas, clean the spark plugs, building that $20 dyi jack lift with a 4x8 I saw posted here so I can put some oil into the cylinder, and spin the tires by hand in the meantime..

Bummed out about the aluminum corrosion, started brushing it out, and I see how it looks patchy and dull now, but I have confidence it'll still look good with a little work.

You guys have no idea how thankful I am for the detailed information. Can't wait til my battery arrives!!

If anyone else has anymore additional tips for this newbie, please let me know  Smiley

IP Logged
BrokeAss

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 05/30/19 at 18:01:09

Replace the roached out switch housings with eBay finds or else have 'em powder coated.

IP Logged
philthymike
Serious Thumper

Wallowing in my own
crapulence

Philadelphia Area
Reply #8 - 05/31/19 at 14:47:18

Inspect the tires for dry rot. Look for cracks in them. Personally I’d replace them on general principle if they were sitting in the weather that long.

07 S40 (Thumpy): 666cc big bore, stage 2 webcam, dyna muffler, 412 shocks, Barnett clutch, Kawasaki ZL900 FE
  IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #9 - 05/31/19 at 15:15:54

There should be some numbers on the tyres, which will tell you their age. There is a Shinko brand, which many on here say is good value for money.

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #10 - 05/31/19 at 15:22:29

Drewdeluxe wrote on 05/30/19 at 15:05:09:
Wow thank you for the great advice, looks like I was going about this all backwards. I just ordered a new battery online, should be here next week. Will be working on a draining the old gas, clean the spark plugs, building that $20 dyi jack lift with a 4x8 I saw posted here so I can put some oil into the cylinder, and spin the tires by hand in the meantime..

Bummed out about the aluminum corrosion, started brushing it out, and I see how it looks patchy and dull now, but I have confidence it'll still look good with a little work.

You guys have no idea how thankful I am for the detailed information. Can't wait til my battery arrives!!

If anyone else has anymore additional tips for this newbie, please let me know  Smiley

My advice?
Go BLIND.
Get five thousand miles on it
Then worry about the cosmetics.
Make it a winter project.
Get prepared.
Visit the paint store that sells to automotive body shops.
There's a Two Stage rattle can clear coat available. It's expensive. About twenty five bucks a can. You MUST HAVE a carbon cartridge air mask. Available from Lowe's for around thirty bucks.

Stripping and preparing parts is tedious and we can cover that later.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
philthymike
Serious Thumper

Wallowing in my own
crapulence

Philadelphia Area
Reply #11 - 05/31/19 at 16:22:35

Look at my thread about 12 y/o Savage ridden in winter.
The Suzuki clear coat makes it so stupidly labor intensive to get rid of corrosion you’re better off replacing parts- unless you have all the time in the world at your disposal.... I’ve got a long Ebay watch list now.

07 S40 (Thumpy): 666cc big bore, stage 2 webcam, dyna muffler, 412 shocks, Barnett clutch, Kawasaki ZL900 FE
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #12 - 05/31/19 at 17:11:43

Orbital sander
Various grits
Three M green scrubby pads
Water spray bottle
It's not that bad.

Two Stage clear rattle can

Off to the races.

Some inexpensive, smaller parts could be cost effectively replaced
But engine sides, probably not

IP Logged
norm92de
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

El Paso TX
Reply #13 - 05/31/19 at 19:15:33

I'm fond of a sand blaster myself, once the finish has gone that far.

Bead blaster if it is not too bad. If you have the equipment or if not I think it is easy to find someone to do it for you. I have always had access in the past.

2014 S40. Raptor. idle mixture adj.Needle raised one notch. 4000' altitude. Stock jets. Shell Rotella synthetic.
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #14 - 05/31/19 at 23:10:50

A very fine scotch bright pad (white?) and marvel mystery oil , will remove much of that oxidation .

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/19/24 at 00:06:33

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › New 2003 Savage Owner

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.