Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Few Questions (Read 87 times)
LuckyLuna

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Few Questions
05/27/19 at 20:42:48

Couple quick questions, I'm looking to do the Petcock switch to the Yamaha Raptor 660 in a couple days, Does it come with a little fuel filter already on the intake like the stock Suzuki one (the big paper deal), or am I going to have to look into an in-line one? I was reading about the issue of airlocks if I go the inline route.

Also, Does anyone have a how to video or step-by-step to get the the spark plug? Im not finding anything on the forum here.

Just bought the bike, but with the front brake pads being shot already (after 3.5k miles), I'm giving the bike some TLC before I get out on the road because god knows what else hasn't been maintained.

IP Logged
BrokeAss

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Few Questions
Reply #1 - 05/27/19 at 21:09:05

Haven't bought an in-tank petcock yet that didn't have a pre-screen.

Spark plug is accessed easily once you pop the tank off.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #2 - 05/28/19 at 02:53:21

The Raptor petcock comes with the plastic filter screens on top of the intake tubes - be sure to remove the clear plastic tubing that protects the filter during shipping.

The petcock has a filter, and the carb has a filter.......there really isn't any need for an additional inline filter - they can cause problems when the small openings in the hose connections create air locks.  The plastic filter housing is pretty thick, and the size of the holes in the filter housing are restrictive.

You should buy a Clymers manual....it is very helpful.

« Last Edit: 05/28/19 at 04:27:11 by Dave »  

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
VortecCPI

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 05/28/19 at 03:35:41

Agreed on Shop Manual - It is a MUST HAVE item for ANY bike.

IP Logged
LuckyLuna

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 05/28/19 at 04:37:50

I'll check into that manual. I've got some pretty decent history with maintenance (aircraft more then motorcycles), so that actual work isn't that scary to me, but I dont have small engine experience so Im dreading that cam chain tension issue.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #5 - 05/28/19 at 05:32:52

LuckyLuna wrote on 05/28/19 at 04:37:50:
I've got some pretty decent history with maintenance (aircraft more then motorcycles), .

As a former "lawn mower mechanic".....I likely have experience more closely related to the single cylinder Savage!  Wink

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
LuckyLuna

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 05/28/19 at 05:38:25

I worked on A-10's and C-21's for the military for 6 yrs before they took our planes to a different base.

T.O's are fine, but have always prefered watching and learning hands on.

IP Logged
philthymike
Serious Thumper

Wallowing in my own
crapulence

Philadelphia Area
Reply #7 - 05/28/19 at 05:52:49

Lucky you! I always had a soft spot for the Warthog. Used to watch them come and go from Plattsburgh AFB when my brother was stationed there in the 80s.
The Navy didn’t have them so I got to work on the F-14 Tomcat till they got mothballed and I switched to the F/A-18s and the brand new at the time F/A-18F Super Hornets. God those suckers are loud!!!!

Glad to hear congress approved money to put new wings on the Warthogs. They’ll be around another decade or more.

07 S40 (Thumpy): 666cc big bore, stage 2 webcam, dyna muffler, 412 shocks, Barnett clutch, Kawasaki ZL900 FE
  IP Logged
norm92de
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

El Paso TX
Reply #8 - 05/28/19 at 08:10:53

FWIW. It is not necessary to remove the gas tank to remove the spark plug.
All you have to do is remove the rear hold down bolts which lets you raise the rear of the tank, you can them remove the chrome cover over the plug and then it is easy to get the plug out. I do it all the time. Smiley

In fact, if the chrome covers are already removed the plug comes out anyway without touching the tank bolts.

2014 S40. Raptor. idle mixture adj.Needle raised one notch. 4000' altitude. Stock jets. Shell Rotella synthetic.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #9 - 05/28/19 at 08:34:38

Dirt and small crap gather in the cavity around the plug. Blow it clear before you pull the plug,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/20/24 at 01:06:44

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Few Questions

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.