Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Crazy Fuel in the Airbox (Read 66 times)
cuda_tim
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Crazy Fuel in the Airbox
05/23/19 at 10:34:08

Ok, so I'm trying to get my daughter's '99 Savage running, and I have a major problem with fuel in the airbox.

This is a California bike so it has an evaporation system.  (Although, maybe they all do).

So I went through the steps I saw in another post as follow:  1) Swapped out the petcock for the Raptor version.  Same problem.  2) Swapped out the carb.  Same problem.  (The old carb had dried gas to the point that the float was stuck permanently.)

What was strange is that after I got everything back together (before adding gas to the tank), I rolled the engine over for the first time and a large amount of gas AGAIN, showed up the air box.

I finally deduced that perhaps there was gas remaining in the charcoal canister below the air box.  But not sure.  There was a drain hose below the airbox and I removed the plug and a pint of gas came out.

At this point I figured I was home free!  No gas remaining in the system!  Yayyyyyyy!

However, as soon as I added gas to the tank and started the engine, I got a boat load of gas in the airbox again.

Anybody got a clue?

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Crazy Fuel in the Airbox
Reply #1 - 05/23/19 at 10:47:46

No, you probably had gas in the cylinder and maybe the crankcase.
Diluted oil is not good lubrication.

The hose connecting the canister to the carb isn't very large.  It can only dribble.

Your problem was the stuck float, you just didn't clear all the gas from the system.  Was the new carb guaranteed good?

And if you filter got wet, it won't flow air like it used too.

WWW   IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #2 - 05/23/19 at 10:56:09

Don't start the bike until you change the oil and oil filter and the air filter if needed. What happened was the stock petcock failed ,gas from the tank drained down the vacuum line into the carb where it runs into the motor crankcase or out the mouth of the carb into the air box or both. end of story ,but something we've see many times.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
cuda_tim
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 05/23/19 at 11:43:36

Thanks for the quick replies!

Ok, so first.  I'm not sure of the condition of the replacement carb.  I did remove the float bowl and made sure the float was not stuck.  And I did get a kit to replace many of the parts in the carb, including the needle that is controlled by the float.

Second.  Good catch, I will insure that there is no gas in the crankcase by changing the oil and oil filter.  I never installed the air filter because I wanted to make sure the original problem with fuel in the airbox was resolved.

Strange, I thought that I had purged all gas from the system before I added gas to the gas tank.  I rolled it over a bunch of times.

Gas was just running out of the hose below the airbox as soon as I removed the plug.

I guess I need to check the float again.  It still must be the issue.

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #4 - 05/23/19 at 22:47:27

You replaced the float but it still needs to be checked for the proper height or flooding could happen again . You should be able to open the oil filler cap and if fuel is present , you'll smell it.  be sure to replace the drain plug on the bottom of the air box before running the motor ,as that drain is between the filter and the carb and will suck in unfiltered (dirty) air and cause damage over time.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
VortecCPI

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 05/24/19 at 03:40:30

Attach a length of clear fuel line to the drain nipple on the carb.  Run it around in a "J" shape to a point above the top of the carb.  Put the petcock on "Prime" and open the float bowl drain screw and the fuel level will climb in the clear tube to a level equal to that inside the float bowl.

From what I gather proper float level is about 1/4" below th float bowl gasket so if it goes above that you know the needle valve is leaking.

Change the oil FOR SURE!

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #6 - 05/24/19 at 04:34:35

As others have suggested.....you need to look at the oil level window and see if your oil level is "too full" - as the crankcase oil is likely diluted with gasoline.  Every time you start the bike, the overfull crankcase is blowing gasoline diluted oil out the breather tube and into the airbox.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/19/24 at 14:59:28

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Crazy Fuel in the Airbox

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.