Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
1999 Suzuki Savage / Throttles fine when cold (Read 113 times)
odakira
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

1999 Suzuki Savage / Throttles fine when cold
05/22/19 at 07:28:51

So I bought a 1999 LS650 off a kid with 9900 miles on it. He had it sitting for about 2 years. I took the carb off, gave it a deep clean to remove all the gunk, bought a rebuild kit to replace all the jets and needles, put in a new float and put it back on. Also put on a new battery and a K&N air filter in the stock airbox.

Bike started up like a champ. Was able to ride it to the motorcycle shop up the road for the Missouri inspection and it passed. On my way back I noticed it was having a hard time throttling. Rolling on the throttle just by a centimeter caused the bike to get really jerky as it sounded like it was misfiring.

One of two things will occur if I roll on the trottle a bit more past the centimeter mark:
1 - The engine dies/stalls out
2 - The engine revs up really quickly and I go shooting down the road

I was reading on some of the forums on here that it could have possibly been the petcock having vacuum line issues. Today, i put on the Raptor 660 petcock and sealed off the vacuum line on the carb. Gave it a cold start and twisted the throttle. The throttle response was good and spot on. I took it for a ride and about 5 minutes into the ride, the throttle started doing the same thing as mentioned above. The problem only seems to be happening once the bike has warmed up. I'm running out of leads as to what the problem may be. I've got a new air cut-off diaphragm coming in today that I'll put in and test again but I'm thinking it will have the same problems once it gets warmed up again (as the diaphragm in the carb looked fine to me).

Any thoughts or ideas, fellow Savages?

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: 1999 Suzuki Savage / Throttles fine when cold
Reply #1 - 05/22/19 at 07:57:35

Missing main jet washer
or sticky slide.

WWW   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #2 - 05/22/19 at 07:59:58

Maybe a sticky slide in the carb?

The slide needs to be squeaky clean - or it can hang up and cause issues.

Did you install the spring on the lower side of the carb slide needle...or on top?

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
odakira
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 05/22/19 at 08:05:19

verslagen1 wrote on 05/22/19 at 07:57:35:
Missing main jet washer
or sticky slide.

I'm about 99% sure that the main jet washer is in, but I'll take it apart later tonight to check.

As for the slide, I believe you're talking about the main needle that connects to the big diaphragm? If so, it was replaced with a new one from the rebuild kit I got. I'll check the passageway the slide goes into to make sure there isnt any gunk or debris I missed.

Thank you!

IP Logged
odakira
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 05/22/19 at 08:08:34

Dave wrote on 05/22/19 at 07:59:58:
Maybe a sticky slide in the carb?

The slide needs to be squeaky clean - or it can hang up and cause issues.

Did you install the spring on the lower side of the carb slide needle...or on top?

The slide is brand new and I believe I installed everything in proper order. I'll have to double check it when I get it apart and get back to you on that one. I rebuilt the carb about a week ago and have had so much going on personally its getting hard to keep track of everything. Woohoo!

Thank you for responding!

IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WTF is JOG?
Reply #5 - 05/22/19 at 10:28:47

A sticky slide can cause intermittent problems.  Sometime's it is caused by buildup inside the carb body.

Are you turning the choke off after you warm the bike up?  Sounds like an overly rich condition.

Did you confirm that the jets were the same size as the ones you replaced?  Many "kits" are just a BS way to sell you a gasket that fits your carb and a bunch of worthless jets that fit your carb but are not for your engine.

IP Logged
odakira
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 05/22/19 at 20:44:17

Okay, so I didn't get a chance to remove the carb and get it apart. The wife needed some stuff taken care of so the only thing I was able to do was get the new air cut-off diaphragm put in.

I started the bike and just let it sit idle. Again, the throttle response was spot on until the engine got warmed up. Afterwards, the slightest twist of the throttle would cause it to bog and die, or bog then rev up quickly.

I'm not sure that I'm running rich though, I have the air/fuel mixture screw turned 2 full and 1 half turns out which I believe is the factory setting.

Again, I can't thank you all for your input. I'll definitely be checking the slide once I get the carb apart hopefully tomorrow.

IP Logged
odakira
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 05/22/19 at 20:57:21

Something else before I forget...

Any recommendations on an aftermarket carburetor for this bike? Also, what would be needed to install said aftermarket carb that you recommend?

IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #8 - 05/22/19 at 21:15:51

Are running the stock air filter?

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
odakira
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 05/22/19 at 21:17:12

Furthermore, I found this very informative video about the carb slide and I think this may be my issue. As ohiomoto mentioned that it could be a rich condition, I wasn't aware that this clip on the slide can cause your bike to run lean or rich. The guy in the video mentions how the positioning of the clip allowed his bike to run great in cold weather, but boggy/dying in warmer weather. I'll post the youtube link below.

Thank you everyone for sharing your knowledge! I'll be checking this out tomorrow and will update with my findings.

Video Clip: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Ho5M-vaYCc

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #10 - 05/22/19 at 21:18:24

I'd be suspect of the rebuild kit ,we've seen these with the wrong size jets many times .I would also change back to the original jet needle if you changed it,  unless you can be SURE the new one is actually the same .The stock needle is straight, if the new one shows any taper it's allowing to much fuel in and flooding the carb .which would allow the changes your seeing , it either floods and quits , or it manages to get beyond that stage and runs away.) and yes it could be a sticky slide as others said) or the new float not set to the proper height .  It will idle OK ,because that only involves the pilot jet . It is far better to just clean the stock parts and reinstall them unless they are damaged.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
odakira
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #11 - 05/24/19 at 11:29:51

Okay everyone, sorry for the delay in getting back to you all. I was able to resolve the issue.

I checked my spark plug and it was pitch black, so the bike was running very rich. I pulled the carb off and checked to see if the needle was sticking by introducing a little bit of compressed air to the small airway in the opening and the needle did rise and fall properly. I pulled the needle and moved the c-clip from the upper most slot available. I don't have my factory needle anymore but I remember when I looked at the one that came with this kit that the new one was a little shorter than the factory needle. I'm kicking myself for misplacing it but after making the adjustments to the needle clip and putting it all back together, it is running solid even after warm up and choke in. It also doesnt die when I roll on the throttle a little.

I'm placing an order for a stock needle to switch back out as well, because I'm not 100% sure about having that aftermarket needle in there now after my findings.

Thank you all once more for all your advice and guidance!

IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WTF is JOG?
Reply #12 - 05/24/19 at 19:40:48

I'd put the stock jets back in as well.

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #13 - 05/24/19 at 20:46:41

The stock needle for your 99 will have only a single groove for the clip , needle height is adjusted by the thickness of the white (donut shaped ) spacer, or by using 2 or 3 # 4 steel machine washers .  3 for elevations 1000 + feet above sea level , 2 for less is usual . 3 will be slightly thinner than the stock spacer ,raising the needle a tiny bit , but provides better/smoother performance. 2 at or near sea level due to the need for more fuel because of denser oxygen level. be sure to have the the matching needle jet as well as the jet needle.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
odakira
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #14 - 05/25/19 at 20:01:45

ohiomoto and batman

Thank you for all your tips! I'm placing an order on partzilla for all the parts you two have mentioned. Once they get in and I get them swapped I'll follow up with how things go afterwards.

Thank you two again!

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/18/24 at 21:39:56

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › 1999 Suzuki Savage / Throttles fine when cold

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.