Rebuild has begun! (Read 192 times)
Tracce
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Victoria TX
Rebuild has begun!
05/19/19 at 15:31:06

I had posted before about the ‘87 LS650 that I had bought, which needed a lot of work.  Here are a couple of pics to remind y’all how it looked when I got it.

Well, the rebuild has begun!  So far I have gotten the bike stripped down to the frame, and have been working on fixing the engine (old starter gear had torn out the aluminum mounting point in the crankcase).

I was able to get my hands on a 1987 LS650 engine lower half (and a lot of other parts) that is in good shape, much thanks to Ohiomoto!  I just need to swap the clutch from the old crankcase to the new, then put the old top half on it and the engine is mechanically finished.  While doing this rebuild I purchased a torque limiter starter gear and a stator cover from the same year, so the broken crankcase should not happen again.  Engine should be painted and back together by next weekend, assuming I can remove the stupid baked on fiber gasket material from the bottom of the cylinder jug.  That stuff is stupid tough, and using plastic and wood to scrape it is taking a while, but I cannot use other materials to do the job, as I don’t want to risk damaging the jug.

I have painted the new stator cover, and a couple parts of the belt guard.  They look good to go!

Finally, I decided that while I am going this in-depth on the rebuild, I will do a rim swap while I am at it.  Picked up a GS550 front and rear rim, just waiting for them to be delivered.  They are not the standard star shaped wheels, and they are from a 1985 so they are tubeless.

I will keep y’all posted and add more photos as I go.

Cheers!

IP Logged
ZSteele

I'll finish it
tomorrow

Re: Rebuild has begun!
Reply #1 - 05/19/19 at 16:05:46

Those wheels are gonna look slick

IP Logged
badwolf
Serious Thumper

Ridin' my Lil'
Bagger - 153k miles
so far

Palm Beach County, FL
Reply #2 - 05/19/19 at 18:05:18

I like those rims! Looked them up and the front should be a 16x2.15, and wore a 110/90 16 tire.
The rear wore a 110/90 tire, but 18''. Could not find the rim width, but you won't be able to run too fat a tire anyway or it will be too tall to fit the swing arm.
The back is for a disc brake thou. People have converted to a disc rear before, but is not a simple job.
Best of luck with your project, and post pics as you go.

What color are you going with on the wheels?

IP Logged
Tracce
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Victoria TX
Reply #3 - 05/19/19 at 18:25:09

Thank you for the heads up on the rear brake, I’ll have to look that side of things up and see what all I am in for.

This is going to be my fiancée’s bike, she wants the gold portion of the rims, along with the springs on the rear shocks, to be bronze.  The fenders and tank will be blue, and the rest of the bike will be blacked out.  Engine will be black and the engine fins will be silver on the outside edges.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #4 - 05/19/19 at 20:14:53

Is she an experienced rider?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Tracce
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Victoria TX
Reply #5 - 05/20/19 at 07:28:26

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 05/19/19 at 20:14:53:
Is she an experienced rider?

She is an inexperienced rider, and I warned her that we will likely need to repaint stuff if she drops the bike.  She still wants it painted, lol.

In other news, the seller had not yet shipped the wheels, but he had a set of GS550L wheels and I was able to get with him and he is shipping those to me instead.  These wheels are compatible with the LS650 rear brake.  Unfortunately, they will have the star pattern and not the tri-spoke design, but at least they are cast wheels!  They are still a tubeless design.

I am considering going with a GS450L front tire to get the 19” front wheel, but want to see how this will do first.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #6 - 05/20/19 at 07:53:22

I think the star pattern was 81-82, which would make the front a 19"   Cool
Same year I got.

I like the 85 spokes but you can't find them in the right config.

WWW   IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WTF is JOG?
Reply #7 - 05/20/19 at 07:55:16

Good move on the wheel swap with the seller.  What size is the front?   I thought it was 19".  The rear is 16" correct?

I have a GS450 E with 18" front and rear wheels that I was thinking of using for a project.  The wheels are pretty skinny and read that someone had a hard time getting the rear to fit properly.  I got that bike in an unexpected deal with another LS650 not long after I sent you all those parts.  Now I wish I hadn't sold you that muffler!  haha

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #8 - 05/20/19 at 08:43:10

The set I have are the same as above, the star pattern.  16” rear & 19” front and they bolted right up.
They are early 80’s but just don’t remember exactly the year, maybe ‘81 or ‘83.

IP Logged
badwolf
Serious Thumper

Ridin' my Lil'
Bagger - 153k miles
so far

Palm Beach County, FL
Reply #9 - 05/20/19 at 08:45:44

Your front will be a 18 or 19'' and the back should be a16x250''. I have that back on one of my bikes with a Shinko 240 for a old school look. You should be able to run a 120/90 or 130/90 rear for her with no problems And yes the drive hub and brake slip right in, don't remember if I had to change the spacers. But even if you do, it's a LOT easier than mounting a rear disc.Good move on your part, and lucky you could swap..

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #10 - 05/20/19 at 10:40:21

I did not need to change spacers on mine.
You gotta check close.

IP Logged
Tracce
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Victoria TX
Reply #11 - 05/21/19 at 15:43:15

That is good to hear!  I will find out for sure on my wheels once they come in.  Reason I was concerned was JP Cycles showed that the ‘85 GS550L uses a 16” tire on both front and rear, different widths of course.  I hope y’all are right though!

In other news, got the top half of the engine painted today.  I just painted it in the garage, so sorry about the mess.  Anyway, here is the engine top end prepped for paint and painted.

IP Logged
Tracce
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Victoria TX
Reply #12 - 06/16/19 at 14:36:10

It has been a while since my last update, been busy with life and progress on the bike has slowed a bit visually.  Sanding chrome and other parts takes a lot of time, lol.  I am not going to post pictures of the box full of sanded parts awaiting painting.

Anyway, figured I would give an update to let y’all see where things stand now.

Bike has been stripped to the frame.  Frame has been taken to bare metal and repainted.  Shocks have been sanded and repainted as well.

Additionally, the tank and both fenders were taken to bare metal and repainted as well.  Christina, who I am repairing the bike for, does not like the metal lip at the bottom of fuel tanks, so before painting I filled that area with fiber reinforced Bondo to remove the visual of the lip.

Finally, here is a mock-up of the tank on the frame.

Now I just have to figure out how to remove the clutch basket from my old engine crank case to put onto my new one.

IP Logged
philthymike
Serious Thumper

Wallowing in my own
crapulence

Philadelphia Area
Reply #13 - 06/21/19 at 17:23:33

verslagen1 wrote on 05/20/19 at 07:53:22:
I think the star pattern was 81-82, which would make the front a 19"   Cool
Same year I got.

I like the 85 spokes but you can't find them in the right config.

The ones I got are from an 83 and star pattern. Both are 16" though.

07 S40 (Thumpy): 666cc big bore, stage 2 webcam, dyna muffler, 412 shocks, Barnett clutch, Kawasaki ZL900 FE
  IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WTF is JOG?
Reply #14 - 06/24/19 at 06:31:48

I like the detail on the tank.  Just looks more finished.  

Now get to work on that engine...I'm waiting for the "It's alive!!"

Smiley

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/18/24 at 03:14:03

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Rebuild has begun!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.