ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WTF is JOG?
Re: Unknown defect
Reply #15 - 05/17/19 at 05:49:06

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 05/16/19 at 14:34:58:
It's odd to me because I've been thinking it's running lean.
--------------------------------

This place is so focused on "lean"!!!  LOL   The stock jetting isn't even THAT lean.  Smiley

That said, if my diagnosis is correct, it is a lean condition above idle caused by lack of fuel delivery.  So you are probably right except that idle and low end is probably running as is should or even rich because of the 55 pilot jet.

IP Logged
Ransom66
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #16 - 05/17/19 at 08:29:45

@Batman, the bike basically went from 800ft to 2000ft above sea level. I am currently in the High Desert area of California. Regarding the spacer mod while I had the diaphragm apart was that I saw that the needle has grooves on it  and a c-clip which can be adjusted up or down the needle on those grooves. I'm assuming that takes place of the washer? There was also one tiny metal washer under the clip.@ ohiomoto I'll let you know tonight when I put everything back together to test it. I'm really hoping it's just a  noob mistake of putting the diaphragm on incorrectly lol.

IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WTF is JOG?
Reply #17 - 05/17/19 at 08:36:25

With that needle, it sounds like you have an older carb from like an 87.  It would have come with 55/155 jetting.  Is it possible you actually have a 155 main jet?

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #18 - 05/17/19 at 09:06:41

Ohiomoto  sounds correct about it being the old pre 87 carb But stock jets are 47.5 /155 , for your elevation ,I'd place the c clip in the center groove ( stock ) ,but I think your running rich with just one washer ( usually only used at sea level ), I'd be trying three washers and not less than two if the motor tends to run to lean.
     The condition of the float valve and float bowl level are also important , the valve tip should not show a ring at the tip , and the valve seat should be pulled to inspect the O-ring on it base and to remove the tiny filter screen for cleaning . The level is set  properly without the bowl gasket in place on the carb body.
      I 'd also check the plate holding the needle assembly to be sure the tiny divot near the needle is pointing downward into the slide . and that the brass washer is in place on the main jet ( it holds the needle jet up fully in the carb body.  good luck!

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
Ransom66
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #19 - 05/18/19 at 08:51:07

I put everything back together and started her up without the boot and air filter. The diaphragm wasn't moving at all, and I manually pushed up and down and was fixing my problem. Now the next, is there a sure fire to put this bad boy in perfectly? I've tried taking it out and putting it back in as carefully as I can.

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #20 - 05/18/19 at 09:16:15

I'd inspect the rubber diaphragm for holes , and be sure the slide and the carb body it slides into are  completely clean ,no "OIL" or even fingerprints , and the small tab in the space allotted for it ( the diaphragm only fits in one position), and the outside rim pushed into the grove all the way around the outside ,spring straight when replacing the top cover. If assembled OK you should be able to push the slide open fully ( use the back of your finger nail under the bottom of the slide ) and it should close smoothly and with no hesitation . The slide should have a black coating , that should not be removed (it's not dirt, but a coating like Teflon) that acts like a lubricant .

IP Logged
Ransom66
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #21 - 05/18/19 at 17:05:10

Update! Got the diaphragm in and it worked like a charm. Took her for a long spin today and I almost got home but I noticed my sound had changed. I stopped to look and it seems the insides of my exhaust are now hanging halfway out 😡. I can't seem to catch a break lol. Any advice on this.

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #22 - 05/18/19 at 18:07:59

Dyna muffler , or you can buy a stock muffler for $300+

IP Logged
Ransom66
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #23 - 05/19/19 at 11:06:51

Any way to salvage the exhaust by finding/making a new baffle? I'm assuming leaving it straight piped with the jardine is bad from what I've been reading.

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #24 - 05/19/19 at 13:10:16

Read 8th topic down from your post , Onelunger's  post on a mod for your muffler baffle.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
03/29/24 at 00:27:41

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Unknown defect

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.