Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Breaking in Brakes
05/13/19 at 03:49:06

I just bought a new set of pads and rotors for my car, and I was a bit shocked by the instructions on the box for breaking them in.

The folks who made the pads want me to go out and do 5 aggressive braking maneuvers from 40 to 10 mph without stopping....then follow that with 5 more from 35 - 5 mph.  I am never supposed to come to a complete stop as they don't want the hot discs or pads to come into contact while stopped.  They cautioned that this should be done in an area where there is no traffic, and that the brakes will be extremely hot and will smell.....then you are supposed to drive for 5 minutes without stopping to allow the brakes to cool.  The reason that you are not supposed to stop is that the hot rotor could cause the pad to deposit more material on the rotor where it touches when you stop, and this can cause uneven braking/pulsing.
https://www.powerstop.com/brake-pad-break-in-procedure/

While I have heard folks tell me that my brakes need to wear in a bit before they are used aggressively in a panic stop....or should not be driven down Jellico Mountain with a trailer - I have never heard of such an aggressive procedure on my daily driver economy car.  I remember being told that the pads need to be heated up to get the solvents out and get them ready for use - but for the last 20 years I have just installed the new parts and driven just a bit gentler than normal until I can hear the "scuffing" noise of the new parts go away and can see the new or resurfaced discs are getting smooth.....then drive normally until they are all worn out and ready for new pads.

So.....I decided to use "GOOGLE" and see what the net had to offer on the subject.  Below is my "new belief" about brakes.......I will just let them wear in on a street car - aggressively break them in on your track car. (I really don't see me ever having a track car or motorcycle - the morning commute can be thrilling enough at this point in my life).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=De8GMjDn1q4

I have never bought a new car that came with instructions on how to bed in the brakes, and the new cars come with the machining marks still on the rotors - so I am reasonably sure that the new cars have never received any "brake break in" from the factory.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
antmanbee

4 Moto Guzzis and an
S40

NE Florida
Re: Breaking in Brakes
Reply #1 - 05/13/19 at 04:30:49

I thought this was going to be a spelling lesson thread where we could talk about how quite our breaks are.

As far as breaking in brakes, I always just let them wear in slowly with normal easy driving.
I don't think I would follow that aggressive procedure for my daily driver econo-box.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #2 - 05/13/19 at 04:45:56

antmanbee wrote on 05/13/19 at 04:30:49:
I thought this was going to be a spelling lesson thread where we could talk about how quite our breaks are.

Yep....I am amazed how many listings on Craigs list show the car/motorcycle/truck has new "breaks".

I have been thinking I should right a song or poem about a Whiskey Still that has not been used for a while........the title will be "THE STILL STILL STILL"(adverb, verb,noun) to showcase the 3 meanings of the word.

adverb - up to and including the present or the time mentioned; even now (or then) as formerly.

verb - make or become still; quieten.

noun - apparatus used in distillation comprising either the chamber in which the vaporization is carried out or the entire equipment

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 05/13/19 at 07:31:43

then you are supposed to drive for 5 minutes without stopping to allow the brakes to cool.

Sorry, officer, but I couldn't stop. Gotta follow these instructions...

So, Dave, you gonna do it or just drive it?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #4 - 05/13/19 at 07:44:25

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 05/13/19 at 07:31:43:
So, Dave, you gonna do it or just drive it?

I am just going to drive it in a sane/normal way.....it has always worked in the past.  The brakes on the Vibe worked really well....I got 100,000 miles on the rotors before I had them turned the first time - now they have another 60,000 miles (160,000 total) and they are starting to pulse.  I decided to replace the rotors this time rather than getting them turned again....the vented area has big flakes of rust after surviving 13 years of salt covered winter roads.

This Vibe has been a great car, and I plan on driving it another 100,000 miles (or until my life style changes and I buy a big RV and live on the road with a motorcycle trailer in tow)! Roll Eyes

IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WTF is JOG?
Reply #5 - 05/13/19 at 08:02:24

I always bed new brake pads with a few hard braking maneuvers and then drive normally.  You should notice a marked improvement over the first few hard brakes.  You are better off getting that out of the way before you have cars in front of you.  Smiley

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #6 - 05/13/19 at 08:56:43

This Vibe has been a great car...

I didn't want to let go of ours, but the two votes cast were weighted somewhat  unevenly and I lost...
Solid little car, dependable as heck.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #7 - 05/13/19 at 09:10:44

ohiomoto wrote on 05/13/19 at 08:02:24:
I always bed new brake pads with a few hard braking maneuvers and then drive normally.

Sounds a lot more reasonable than doing 5 from 40 mph and then another 5 from 35 mph without any rest in between.....that just sounds abusive!

IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WTF is JOG?
Reply #8 - 05/13/19 at 09:37:30

<shrug/> That's what they are made for.  If they can't take a little abuse they shouldn't be on your vehicle in the first place!  LOL

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #9 - 05/14/19 at 04:09:20

ohiomoto wrote on 05/13/19 at 09:37:30:
<shrug/> That's what they are made for.  If they can't take a little abuse they shouldn't be on your vehicle in the first place!  LOL

Yep

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #10 - 05/14/19 at 06:25:18

ohiomoto wrote on 05/13/19 at 09:37:30:

The only reason I don't want to use their aggressive method - is the large amount of heat that will be created.  Both the machined disc and new pads have a very rough surface, and their recommended "break in" process will create a far more heat than the brakes will ever be subject to in my normal driving.  The wheels bearings are sealed and have never been replaced - I would rather not heat them up more than necessary.  The calipers are original and have been taken apart once for cleaning and lubing....and changing the break fluid.

Once they have been run around for a while and the rough surfaces are smooth....I won't feel bad about using them in whatever way the traffic and roads require.

IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #11 - 05/14/19 at 14:19:29

The most important part is to NOT use front brake to come to a complete stop and/or not have front brake applied while stopped during break in process. New hot pads leave a chemical print on the rotor, a glazed spot.
That spot will never go away till rotor is resurfaced. I prefer getting them seated quickly , but that's just me.

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/20/24 at 06:07:54

General CategoryThe Cafe › Breaking in Brakes

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.