Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Prepping for a long road trip (Read 264 times)
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Re: Prepping for a long road trip
Reply #15 - 05/14/19 at 21:38:23

Have ya ever noticed :

most road bikes have FLOOR-BOARDS ?

most road bikes have Nice Wide Seats ?

most road bikes have a Tall Top Gear ?

most road bikes have Lots of Luggage ?

and last but not least ....

most road bikes have Large Fuel Tanks ?

You can convert a Savage to a Road bike ... but they certainly don't come that way from the factory !   Grin

The Fuel tank is the hardest in my experience

2017_Savage_005.jpg

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion , we may never know
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
madmikesmech

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Olean ny
Reply #16 - 05/16/19 at 14:11:12

Good lookin bike MMRanch!
I am digging this thread, as I to am planning the longest ride of my riding "career:! This summer I plan to ride the Grand Army Republic highway of PA. (RT6) I live in the southern tier of N.Y. state, plan to pick up rt6 in Port Allegany PA. Then head East to the state border.
Here is a link
http://www.motorcycleroads.com/75/475/Pennsylvania/Grand-Army-of-the-Republic...

https://pawilds.com/journey/scenic-route-6/

Here is my planned route

only 230 miles each way, I plan to sightsee and camp at least one overnight. Solo ride
From what I have read, some of the bestscenario, and riding roads north Pennsylvania has to offer!,

Here is my trusty steed

1999 Savage, basically stock, except drag bars, 4"risers,Jardine turn out muffler, Raptor petcock, Verslagen modified cam chain adjuster,4" forward controls
  IP Logged
RykorSavage
YaBB Newbies

Reply #17 - 05/16/19 at 17:51:28

I'm glad this thread is being helpful to others, it's nice to have every sort of tip and tricks in one place.

Just ordered the OEM backrest, hopefully it gets here quick, want to see if the Dowco bag will fit with it.

The tentative plan for the road trip!
Michigan to Dallas, TX to San Francisco, CA to Portland, OR, a hop up to Seattle then back home.  Will definitely be a mix of highway and state roads, but man oh man I'm excited to see everything along the way.

tentative.png

2007 Suzuki S40
  IP Logged
madmikesmech

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Olean ny
Reply #18 - 05/16/19 at 18:06:28

RykorSavage wrote on 05/16/19 at 17:51:28:
I'm glad this thread is being helpful to others, it's nice to have every sort of tip and tricks in one place.

Just ordered the OEM backrest, hopefully it gets here quick, want to see if the Dowco bag will fit with it.

The tentative plan for the road trip!
Michigan to Dallas, TX to San Francisco, CA to Portland, OR, a hop up to Seattle then back home.  Will definitely be a mix of highway and state roads, but man oh man I'm excited to see everything along the way.

RykorSavage, your absolutely right you are going to have such a great time, the memories of a continental USA ride like that will be amazing... to say the least.
I am envious! Maybe you'll  start a thread when you depart, and keep it on going throughout your whole trip!
Just a thought... did you wire up a 12 volt power outlet of some type to charge your cel phone, I remember, if not in this thread a different one here in.the forum there were a number of ways to have a way to charge your cel.
Have the time of your life, thanks for starting this thread!!
Mike

1999 Savage, basically stock, except drag bars, 4"risers,Jardine turn out muffler, Raptor petcock, Verslagen modified cam chain adjuster,4" forward controls
  IP Logged
madmikesmech

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Olean ny
Reply #19 - 05/16/19 at 19:14:03

Here is a usb charger I am interested in. Connects to the sae tender plug I already have in place on my bike
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fit...

IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WTF is JOG?
Reply #20 - 05/17/19 at 06:36:52

I give you guys credit. I take me just under an hour when I take the long way home from work.  I'm usually done with riding at that point.  I'm old. LOL

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #21 - 05/17/19 at 07:03:23

I'm in east Texas and I, too , am prepping for a trip.
To Seattle, by way of the Grand Canyon one way and Yellowstone the other.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #22 - 05/20/19 at 06:20:01

The windscreen on my F800GT directs a lot of air at my helmet at speeds over 60mph - interstate riding is very noisy as the wind that comes off the top of the windscreen hits directly on helmet at chin level.

I just ordered this and I can adjust it to keep the wind off my helmet when I am on the highway - and removed it when riding local.

I have not yet installed it - but others who have used it say it works well for them.  You can adjust it to suit the weather.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071FJV4CW/ref=pe_2640190_232586610_TE_dp_i1

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
madmikesmech

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Olean ny
Reply #23 - 05/27/19 at 01:30:27

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 05/17/19 at 07:03:23:
I'm in east Texas and I, too , am prepping for a trip.
To Seattle, by way of the Grand Canyon one way and Yellowstone the other.

Wow! That sounds like it will be a very scenic ride!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #24 - 05/27/19 at 07:02:47

It better be..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
hotrod

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

NC
Reply #25 - 05/27/19 at 10:38:32

In September I'm riding the Savage from Belhaven NC to Montauk NY. About 600 miles each way. No windshield, will only stop for gas or eating. Need good weather and cold beer when I arrive.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #26 - 05/27/19 at 18:25:51

About 300a day is all I can manage. That's pushing eight hours, with the gas stops being so regular.

IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #27 - 05/28/19 at 02:11:10

hotrod 11 hours at average 55, 5, 5 minute gas stops plus forty minutes eating time. You must be tough.

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
hotrod

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

NC
Reply #28 - 05/28/19 at 10:30:30

Tough ? Maybe dumb. Not sure.  I'm thinking about 13 hours in good weather.  I've done that distance  before, but not on a Savage, and not  67 years old.   Shocked Shocked

IP Logged
sjaskow - FSO

Frozen Tundra of MN
Reply #29 - 05/28/19 at 10:52:39

The most I ever did on my S40 was 300 miles on 4-lane interstate equivalents in KY and WV. If you can time butt-breaks with the 100 mile gas stops, it's not as bad as you think.

I have done a couple of 600 mile days on the Vision. For this one, my butt gives out before my tank does.

2012 Victory Vision - http://www.jaskowiak.cc/vision
2006 Suzuki S40 - http://www.jaskowiak.cc/S40
WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/25/24 at 03:01:08

General CategoryThe Cafe › Prepping for a long road trip

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.