Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Prepping for a long road trip (Read 264 times)
RykorSavage
YaBB Newbies

Prepping for a long road trip
05/11/19 at 20:44:16

Long time lurker here! I bought a 2007 S40 with just under 5k miles last year and immediately found this site and it's been crazy helpful since then. The petcock had gone bad and a quick search here saved me time and money so kudos to all ya'll about that fix.

Anyways, I decided that I needed to just, get away from the all the crap with work and life around here and I came up with going on a road trip to visit friends all over the states. Which means I need to prep the S40 for a long, looong trip, at the very least 6k miles.

I did already do some regular maintenance, oil change, new tires (they were the original tires holy crap), new petcock, carb was cleaned, have new brake pads I'm about to put on.

It already has a windscreen, but it's too small for alot of highway riding. I've looked up a few options for bigger windscreens but has anyone had experience with the SlipStreamer brand?

Or if anyone has touring tips on an S40 in general they would be much appreciated.

20180827_17164322.jpg

2007 Suzuki S40
  IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Re: Prepping for a long road trip
Reply #1 - 05/11/19 at 23:18:42

You probably need some sort of carrier on which you can mount a back pack, this option is, I believe, better than saddle bags. You should be able to turn the back pack, so it will sit on the pillion seat. It will form a sort of back rest as you ride say 300 miles plus in a day. Remember your gasoline range is safe for about 120 miles, using reserve after 110 miles. If you go 130 miles on a tank full, start praying hard. Some years ago I posted a photo of a tool kit I carried, It consisted of a 750 ml drink bottle which held spanners a 3/8" drive ratchet and extensions and a couple of pill bottles which held sockets and screw bits a 1/4 inch socket fits the bits. Most importantly get self sealing plastic bags from the supermarket and put your clothes in these, the clothes stay dry even if rain penetrates your carrier bag, have an old plastic bag for dirty laundry. A cell phone plus charger. Ear plugs can help cut noise although I don't use them riding. Check your oil every two or thre days. Maybe carry some insect sting relief. You may also wish to consider an Airhawk seat pad, and a spare couple of fuses. Never mind  "cool" or biker stuff, wear a little or ,a lot of high vis gear

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
VortecCPI

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 05/12/19 at 03:56:55

I have done long road trips on a 2002 Road King and on a 2007 Electraglide and they were great bikes.  The S40, in my opinion, will at least need a lot of bags to make it viable for any sort of long road trip.  The Suzuki windscreen is okay at low speeds but is not enough for long-term high-speed rides like interstates.

Also...  The stock seat and suspension are not very comfy and the gas tank is tiny so be prepared to make a lot of stops, especially if you are increasing elevation.

Bikes like my SRX600 and my wife's LS650 are great for short trips but they get tedious for long rides.

I really miss my Road King...

IP Logged
badwolf
Serious Thumper

Ridin' my Lil'
Bagger - 153k miles
so far

Palm Beach County, FL
Reply #3 - 05/12/19 at 06:29:39

BAGGAGE! At least a hard box on the back you can lock. If you mount it over the rear seat you can lean back against it. I have a National Cycles windshield that is pretty big and cuts alot of air, not cheap, but very well made. (your legs will still get wet thou)
Go to the local boat place and get a waterproof bag or 2.
As for touring, I have geared my bike up and put on a 4.5 gallon tank and sprung solo seat so it is comfy on the Interstates all day. On a stock bike, try to stay off the expressways and stick to the state roads, slower but much better on the psyche!

Oh yea, if you are in Georgia and hear banjos, haul butt out of there!

IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WTF is JOG?
Reply #4 - 05/12/19 at 07:53:08

My buddy used to ride a Fatboy like a touring bike.  One day he went to the dealership for a battery and left with an Ultra Classic.  That was about 20 years ago and he still rides touring bikes.

I don't see any reason you can't get 6000 trouble free miles out of the 650.  I would try to plan the trip using as little freeway as possible.  It's just not the bikes strong suit.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #5 - 05/12/19 at 08:12:15

When run for extended periods on the interstate, the engine oil level can drop - so be sure to carry some extra oil and check the level periodically.

Take some Lemon pledge and a couple microfiber cloths to clean the windshield and your helmet visor.  (You can also buy Plexus that works a bit better and it far more expensive).

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Armen
Serious Thumper

Half-Witted
Wrench-Jockey from
Jersey

Reply #6 - 05/12/19 at 08:25:09

Kawasaki front pulley for the highway miles.

In theory, theory and reality are the same. In reality, they aren't...
  IP Logged
hotrod

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

NC
Reply #7 - 05/12/19 at 08:59:06

Soft saddlebags , if mounted high, can serve as a platform with the rear seat. This can be a base to support a duffle type bag to be mounted across it.  Whenever you stop to eat, or rest, do so standing up. Give your rear a rest. Wear gel padded gloves, easy to get off so as not to be a hassle at toll booths. Don't put anything in your rear pants pockets. Wait until you're tired  before looking for a hotel. You don't want to check into a hotel and find you could have ridden another 5 hours. Adjust your clutch so finding neutral is easy. Make sure your rain gear is easy to get to.    Good luck.  Be safe.

IP Logged
hotrod

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

NC
Reply #8 - 05/12/19 at 09:22:30

I no longer measure a long motorcycle trip in miles traveled. Now, it's how many ibuprofens will it take.  They sure help.

IP Logged
RykorSavage
YaBB Newbies

Reply #9 - 05/12/19 at 12:11:30

Thanks ya'll for all the tips!  The plan is to take this trip in August, so I'll have more than enough time to get exactly what I need ready.  And bonus is that I just heard from my buddy down in Texas that he'll be tagging along with me on his own '96 Savage once I get there. I'll need to get on him about getting his ready too.

I do have a soft saddlebag, the Dowco Iron Rider Rumble tail bag, had it on for quite a while and it's solid on the passenger seat, but having a sissy bar would be FANTASTIC. I'll look around for options there but that might be a stock option I'll need to cough up some dough for lol I'll likely pick up a tank bag for all the small crap.  

I am curious about a tank swap, but I like the idea of having to stop and see the area and resting the butt. A seat pad is gonna be a must regardless. A toolkit too, just in case.

For the trip itself it'll probably be a mix of interstate and state roads, I need to make some time, but yeah the droning on and on of the interstate will be hella boring.

Thanks again guys!

2007 Suzuki S40
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #10 - 05/12/19 at 12:15:37

WWW   IP Logged
badwolf
Serious Thumper

Ridin' my Lil'
Bagger - 153k miles
so far

Palm Beach County, FL
Reply #11 - 05/12/19 at 13:26:01

You will NOT regret spending the bucks for a GOOD M/C rain suit. Unless you strap it on sloppy and it gets chew'ed up by the rear wheel! (Don't ask how I know that.) My current fav is a 2 piece by Frog Toggs, good water proffing and it still breaths. No rainsuit is 100% waterproof at 60mph for 3 hours in a downpour. (Oh how do I know, I live in S. Fla. it rains every day in the summer, and we have these things called HURRICANES!)
Maybe you will get lucky, last Aug. I rode out to Salt Lake City for opening day of Speedweek on the Salt Flats, then back to 2 stops in Mich. and home, only hit rain once! The Dragon at dawn in the rain is something I NEVER want to do again. But I also put the rainsuit on in Wy. riding overnight. Don't get fooled by summer in the east, take one set of WARM clothes and gloves. In the mountains it freezes every night, just a matter of how low the frost goes.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #12 - 05/12/19 at 17:50:40

I suppose I really don't qualify as a "long road trip' rider yet, as most of my rides are done within 100 miles of home, and I have not ridden many days that are in excess of 300 miles.  When we go to the rides down in TN/NC/GA we can be gone for 10 hours - but a lot of the roads are slow going and it is hard to get more than 200 miles in a day when you add in stops for fuel/food/scenery.  So far 570 miles in a day was my longest ride, and my fannie was fatigued at the end of the day.

I will advise you that you need to get some long riding days in before you start your trip.  You need to get your body (and butt) used to sitting in the saddle for longs stretches.  You may find that a sheep skin seat cover or Airhawk seat will help to make the seat more comfortable.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #13 - 05/12/19 at 18:30:34

My longest one day ride was 450-500 miles and I definitely recommend the air hawk seat cushion. Could not have done that mileage without the air hawk. A sissy bar will be most helpful. I have a sissy bar bag that also acts as a nice bike rest. The plastic bag or bags to keep your clothes dry are a must. I do not have a windshield on my S40 but I do suspect it would make the long ride less tiring. All the other guys have given good advice. Have fun. I think I am jealous! Cool

06 S40 seat mod, airhawk, HD muffler, Shinko 712 140-90-15 rear tire, Shinko 230 front tire, versy cam chain tensioner, Rotella oil, Volar brake pads, EBC clutch & springs
  IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #14 - 05/14/19 at 00:21:03

Rykor Savage, the tool kit idea I used was posted on 12/08/13 under the topic Tool Kit Idea, the photo was p1010468.jpg

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
03/28/24 at 22:41:56

General CategoryThe Cafe › Prepping for a long road trip

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.