Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
finally installed the kawa pulley... (Read 208 times)
philthymike
Serious Thumper

Wallowing in my own
crapulence

Philadelphia Area
Re: finally installed the kawa pulley...
Reply #15 - 05/08/19 at 08:01:23

Dave wrote on 05/07/19 at 17:50:59:
philthymike wrote on 05/07/19 at 15:11:55:
Sounds good. I look forward to hearing more from you. If you have an opportunity to ride up a steep hill that I would be curious about.

On the 5 speed bikes, high gear becomes similar to an "overdrive" to be used when you can cruise comfortably.  You will find that 4th gear is very similar to what 5th used to be.....and when you need more power/acceleration than you can get it 5th - you just drop down a gear.

This is what my bike is like since the big bore. I can comfortably ride 4th gear until 65 mph making 5th more like overdrive. Third gear now has a span of 30 mph before I need to shift. Around town and on backroads I can stay in 3rd all day.
Seems to me if used the Kawa pulley I could just swap an old 4 speed tranny in and kiss 5th gear goodbye.

07 S40 (Thumpy): 666cc big bore, stage 2 webcam, dyna muffler, 412 shocks, Barnett clutch, Kawasaki ZL900 FE
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #16 - 05/08/19 at 08:33:02

Why go to a four speed?  the whole intent of the larger pulley(s) is to drop the motor's rpms  , I'd retain 5th gear for use on interstates ,for better mileage ,if nothing else.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
philthymike
Serious Thumper

Wallowing in my own
crapulence

Philadelphia Area
Reply #17 - 05/08/19 at 09:58:55

batman wrote on 05/08/19 at 08:33:02:
Why go to a four speed?  the whole intent of the larger pulley(s) is to drop the motor's rpms  , I'd retain 5th gear for use on interstates ,for better mileage ,if nothing else.

Honestly I probably won’t swap the tranny. It’s alot of work and way over my head.
My thinking was that I could reduce how much shifting is required riding in my preferred environment - backroads.
With the bike having only 2” of suspension travel and the road surface of PA’s highways being what they are I rarely take this bike on the interstate anymore. Too much punishment. For highway riding I take my Ducati with its 6.5” of suspension travel.

07 S40 (Thumpy): 666cc big bore, stage 2 webcam, dyna muffler, 412 shocks, Barnett clutch, Kawasaki ZL900 FE
  IP Logged
VortecCPI

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #18 - 05/08/19 at 12:17:31

I went up one tooth on my SRX600 (15>16).  Though it is only a 6.7% increase in ratio it allows me to cruise easily at 55-60 MPH in fourth gear and leaves fifth gear for highway speeds.  Even with an extra tooth the old SRX600 will easily do 25 MPH in third through the neighborhood.

In my opinion bikes like LS650 and SRX600 are under-geared from the old "55 Saves Lives" era (thanks Carter).  My wife's with pipe and jetting blows right through the gears and she is always wanting another gear on top.

IP Logged
Bubba
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Denver, CO
Reply #19 - 05/08/19 at 12:36:59

^ She would be a perfect candidate for the kawa pulley swap.
Not incredible cheap but when you figure in what it takes to have them made it's not bad...

'06 lt Blue, Dyna Power pipe, air screw 2 1/4 turns, 52.5 pilot w/ bleed holes, 150 Main, 2/3 spacer, Pirelli MT66 tires, Raptor petcock, 412-4006 Progressive shocks
  IP Logged
VortecCPI

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #20 - 05/09/19 at 13:49:56

Bubba wrote on 05/08/19 at 12:36:59:
^ She would be a perfect candidate for the kawa pulley swap.
Not incredible cheap but when you figure in what it takes to have them made it's not bad...

Agreed.  From the factory the late-model versions are very lean and very strangled so perhaps the shorter ratio is okay.  My wife's bike, however, runs like an entirely different machine with the pipe and jetting.  Way more TQ and way more throttle feel and response and rides two-up no problem.  Her bike really needs a taller overall ratio.

These engines make good power when you uncork them...

IP Logged
badwolf
Serious Thumper

Ridin' my Lil'
Bagger - 153k miles
so far

Palm Beach County, FL
Reply #21 - 05/10/19 at 14:22:41

You can't change the rear pulley only, the belt will be too long. You might be able to mod the swingarm to move the axle back to tighten the belt, but then you might run into clearance issues with the tire. Too much to monkey with. If you want some precise ratio go with a chain, much more options.

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #22 - 05/11/19 at 00:23:49

Badwolf ,What clearance issues? the 140 /90/ 15  tire on a stock bike will have none , either to each side or if it's move rearward, and if you can't tighten the belt that shouldn't be a problem either, the problem stems from the belt being to tight , or the tire being to close to the swingarm cross brace ,which only happens when using the kawa front pulley ,  the belt having a bit to much slack should not alter it's performance at all.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
badwolf
Serious Thumper

Ridin' my Lil'
Bagger - 153k miles
so far

Palm Beach County, FL
Reply #23 - 05/11/19 at 07:43:15

I was thinking about hitting the back of the rear fender when compressed. I have run a 150/90 15 after swapping out some bolts for buttonheads and it was tight, but do-able. Modding the swingarm is work not for the average wrench twister. If you grind away the back of the slot you can weaken the whole assembly. NOT something you want to fail at speed.
When changing both pulleys the axle is back about 7mm or so from stock, well within the stock slot. When changing just the front pulley the axle moves forward about the same amount. MMRanch runs a 140/90 15 with a Kaw front pulley and has not had to mod the front of the swingarm.
Changing the front pulley with one of Dave's is a pretty easy job, and reversible. Changing the rear pulley is a LOT more involved. You need to turn the hub on a lathe to match the pulley, and re-drill the pulley for the new bolt pattern. Also the Kaw rear pulley is cast iron not aluminum, way heavier.
Having said that, I have both pulleys installed and am very happy with the result. BUT, I live in S. Fla. (no hills) and ride solo all the time. I ride a lot of interstate and long trips, and am not concerned with speed and acceleration. I just cruise to get there.(retired) If I rode double and had to start on uphills a lot I might think it was geared too high.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 04:25:13

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › finally installed the kawa pulley...

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.