Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
finally installed the kawa pulley... (Read 208 times)
Bubba
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Denver, CO
finally installed the kawa pulley...
05/07/19 at 11:09:46

Finally got around to installing the kawa 25 tooth pulley I got from Dave/Armen...

I've only managed to ride about 75 miles on the thing but it definitely is a different ride. Instead of cruising around town in 4th I can comfortably ride on most of the 40-50mph roads around here in 3rd. The stock gearing does make you run through gears kinda quick but I mainly wanted the swap to have a bit less of a screaming engine when I ride in the 60-70 mph range.
*note - I have a 140/90 tire on it and tested the speed difference...at one point I cracked open the throttle and the speedo registered 65mph...the gps had me at 80mph!!! not sure that's accurate but it surprised me.

I took it out on a ride to a stretch of road that always felt like I was kind of a struggle and it was so much more relaxed...didn't feel like I was pushing the bike quite so hard which maybe just let ME relax a bit more rather than the bike!

Anyway, I'll be interested in seeing how it handles one of my favorite twisty canyon roads I ride at lunch...gonna have to get used to the taller gearing cuz it changes when/if you change gears.

One question I do have however is if it's possible to grind out the slots on the swingarm to get a bit more clearance for adjusting belt alignment. As it stands now it would be nice to be able to slide that axle up a few more millimeters...Also, I'm not sure how much brake cable adjustment would be allowed if I push the axel up too much.

BTW, I had no problem getting the new pulley to slip onto the shaft, I just strapped a long ratchet strap around the rear rim and ran it up to both front pegs and ratcheted it up until it slipped right on! Took me about 2 hours total to swap out by myself and then left the belt guards off for a day or 2 while I made final adjustments...

'06 lt Blue, Dyna Power pipe, air screw 2 1/4 turns, 52.5 pilot w/ bleed holes, 150 Main, 2/3 spacer, Pirelli MT66 tires, Raptor petcock, 412-4006 Progressive shocks
  IP Logged
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Re: finally installed the kawa pulley...
Reply #1 - 05/07/19 at 11:53:33

Well Bubba, if your GPS is indicating 80mph when your speedo is indicating 65 mph, I better GPS check my speedometer before I get in trouble! Cool

06 S40 seat mod, airhawk, HD muffler, Shinko 712 140-90-15 rear tire, Shinko 230 front tire, versy cam chain tensioner, Rotella oil, Volar brake pads, EBC clutch & springs
  IP Logged
Bubba
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Denver, CO
Reply #2 - 05/07/19 at 11:56:51

HaHa...yeah, I have a handlebar mount on the way for my phone...it was tucked into my jacket when I was riding and when I pulled it out to check top speed I was like....what???

'06 lt Blue, Dyna Power pipe, air screw 2 1/4 turns, 52.5 pilot w/ bleed holes, 150 Main, 2/3 spacer, Pirelli MT66 tires, Raptor petcock, 412-4006 Progressive shocks
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #3 - 05/07/19 at 14:18:00

AYYEPPP.....you can grind out the axle slots a bit if you want to loosen the belt up a bit.  Since the belt loosens both top and bottom, you don't need to grind out very much.  I don't expect you will run out of brake adjustment - but you can always advance the lever onto the next spline on the shaft if you need to make a change.

A bit less rpm at cruise speed is nice.......funny how just a few hundred rpm less can make such a difference.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Bubba
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Denver, CO
Reply #4 - 05/07/19 at 14:37:55

Thanks for the info Dave! I figured I could grind some out...I may do that just so I have something to work with...it's pretty maxed out right now.
When you say advance the lever into the next spline to what are you referring?
Thanks again

IP Logged
philthymike
Serious Thumper

Wallowing in my own
crapulence

Philadelphia Area
Reply #5 - 05/07/19 at 14:48:20

This is pretty cool. Do you lose much torque with this pulley?

07 S40 (Thumpy): 666cc big bore, stage 2 webcam, dyna muffler, 412 shocks, Barnett clutch, Kawasaki ZL900 FE
  IP Logged
Bubba
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Denver, CO
Reply #6 - 05/07/19 at 14:53:46

So far I haven't noticed...you do have to change the way you throttle the bike but when i get on it it still seems to have some grunt. About the only thing that concerns me is how the throttle response will be when I'm riding in the twisties.
Also, you have to be aware of passing cuz you may have to drop down a gear to have the same pull you may have had before.
I'll report back if I get a chance to ride it a bit more but it's supposed to dump rain for the next few days...

IP Logged
philthymike
Serious Thumper

Wallowing in my own
crapulence

Philadelphia Area
Reply #7 - 05/07/19 at 15:11:55

Sounds good. I look forward to hearing more from you. If you have an opportunity to ride up a steep hill that I would be curious about.

07 S40 (Thumpy): 666cc big bore, stage 2 webcam, dyna muffler, 412 shocks, Barnett clutch, Kawasaki ZL900 FE
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #8 - 05/07/19 at 17:44:11

Bubba wrote on 05/07/19 at 14:37:55:
When you say advance the lever into the next spline to what are you referring?

The rear brake lever at the wheel hub is a splined lever installed on a splined shaft. You just take a marker and put a line on the end of the shaft in alignment with the clamping slot as a reference, then remove the clamp bolt - then pull the lever off and rotate it one spline so the lever moves backward.  If the lever is tight on the shaft....insert a screwdriver in the slot to open it up a bit.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #9 - 05/07/19 at 17:50:59

philthymike wrote on 05/07/19 at 15:11:55:
Sounds good. I look forward to hearing more from you. If you have an opportunity to ride up a steep hill that I would be curious about.

On the 5 speed bikes, high gear becomes similar to an "overdrive" to be used when you can cruise comfortably.  You will find that 4th gear is very similar to what 5th used to be.....and when you need more power/acceleration than you can get it 5th - you just drop down a gear.

I don't know about you folks who ride at high elevations where the engine power is reduced - but down here below 1,000 msl I never experienced any noticeable drop in acceleration, and the bike still feels like it accelerates well in the lower gears.

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #10 - 05/07/19 at 20:12:18

It's very possible for you to have been going 80mph, the change in pulley size (8.4%) and rear tire ( avg. 4.4 %-depending on brand) would put the speed of the bike at 76.75 mph, but this does not take into consideration your stock speedometer error .

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
badwolf
Serious Thumper

Ridin' my Lil'
Bagger - 153k miles
so far

Palm Beach County, FL
Reply #11 - 05/07/19 at 21:08:33

I changed both pulleys and was running a 150/90 15, stock speedo said I rode 100 miles, gps said 123! Got rid of the stocker and put on a Speedhut gps speedo. Not cheap, but now I KNOW my REAL speed and have a trip meter to use as a gas gauge.
Works great, cept in tunnels and after I go thru a underpass I check my max speed, and it shows 90+ mph! DAMM I must really have been rollin' back there!

IP Logged
Bubba
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Denver, CO
Reply #12 - 05/08/19 at 06:30:25

@Dave, thanks for the info on the brake...yeah, I know exactly what you're referring to now.

@philthymike, well the "steep hills" around me are what we call mountains...I often ride up over the Continental Divide so yeah I think I'll have the torque...I see the biggest adjustment being when I drop through some hairpins while going uphill...probably need to adjust what gear i'm in more than anything... Tongue

@badwolf, I have a handlebar phone mount coming as I write so hopefully I can keep an eye on true speed...when I ride up to my place in the mtns there are quite a few tunnels (8 actually) but I'm usually paying attention to the road then anyway... Roll Eyes

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #13 - 05/08/19 at 07:29:13

Bubba:

I have been in your 6,000' - 10,000' elevations in my little 4 cylinder rental cars, and some of them were sure down on power once I got up into the mountains.  One year we had a Kia Sportage and put 4 people in it - it felt like we were going to have to get out and push.

You may have to use 4th gear on the way up the hill....and 5th gear on the way down!

IP Logged
Bubba
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Denver, CO
Reply #14 - 05/08/19 at 07:59:00

haha, yeah that's what I do currently...I'm thinking 3rd on the way up!...1st and 2nd through the hairpins...
I've often wondered how my bike would behave if there was a bit more O2 for it to use!

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 04:22:20

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › finally installed the kawa pulley...

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.