Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
More proof the left hates freedom of speech (Read 298 times)
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Re: More proof the left hates freedom of speech
Reply #15 - 05/05/19 at 06:43:05

Quote:
Letting someone say anything they want on your radio station, TV show, or Social Media platform has never been allowed.  Private companies can control the content distributed through their platform,

Exactly right.

Social media platforms have nothing to do with freedom of speech, or freedom of anything else,for that matter.  They are commercial enterprises on which the users are not really the consumers, they are actually the product that those platforms sell for profit.

The fact that most such platforms are are controlled by leftists , and that freedom of speech that leftists don't agree with is not a concept that a lot of leftists embrace, is an entirely different discussion IMO,

IP Logged
Eegore
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #16 - 05/05/19 at 06:57:34

"Oh yea, then why can't a baker refuse to bake a cake?"

Already answered that: Because of Discrimination.  Not Freedom of Speech.  Very clearly established in the legal documents.  The ruling literally says "Discriminated against".  

"Letting the Facebook guy or that Twitter guy decide what is or isn't protected speech is dangerous."

They aren't deciding what is "Protected" speech.  By deciding what they allow to be distributed on their owned platform is not by definition hindering a protected class of people.  It's not even close, nor is it the same laws.

People are mixing the 1st Amendment into other Amendments and laws.  This is no different than protesters complaining that can not "Peaceably Assemble" on private property.  That's not what the 1st protects, it does not give you permission to assemble on private property.

"How long until someone who says "the effects of climate change are being overstated..." is banned due to the influence of very lucrative climate change industry?"

This already happens.  If you choose to use that private business as your single source of evidence then you will be misinformed.

You mean to tell me that Fox News must let guests on and must let those guests talk about whatever they want because of the 1st Amendment?   That's what people want Twitter to do.

IP Logged
WebsterMark
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #17 - 05/05/19 at 07:05:43

Twitter and Facebook discriminate against those they cut off from their services thereby impacting the ability of those to conduct their business. Alex Jones and Farakan for example.

Like I said, its complicated. Twitter has evolved into a totally unique entity that is basically the equivalent of putting your soapbox up on a street corner preaching whatever gospel you claim to be the truth and having it pulled out from underneath you.

IP Logged
Eegore
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #18 - 05/05/19 at 07:28:39

Alex Jones and Farakan are not a protected class.  Also they do not pay nor have a contract to conduct their business through Twitter.  Is it also discrimination that Legal Marijuana companies can not use Twitter to advertise directly?  Twitter is infringing on their ability to conduct business... oh wait, its right there in the Terms of Use, just like it is for everyone that uses it... everyone.

Jones and Farakan are not a protected class, either is T T, or me or you, that's why it would be perfectly legal for a Moderator here to edit or limit my posts, even ban me, if that Moderator just didn't like me.  I have zero legal recourse as I am not a protected class using this as a public space.

I agree that social media is a toolset that is prone to abuse and as such should have some legal reform.  That reform should reflect our Constitutional rights, but can not simply because of how old it is, be a direct usage.  

I do not agree that they violate the 1st Amendment by restricting user content, but may be in violation of other laws.  However I think it is more likely a law simply doesn't exist in form that is strong enough to tie directly to what modern technology can do.

To me it's a double edged sword, tech moves much faster than modern government which is good because the government can't up and censor or limit access to the outside world on a whim, but it's also bad because of the limited protections from criminal activity.

IP Logged
Eegore
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #19 - 05/05/19 at 07:41:17

For anyone interested in Twitter and actually want real information from the source instead of guessing and complaining about a platform they don't even use:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_mP9OmOFxc4

One example is if the POTUS was to declare war or threaten nuclear or other attack via Twitter, should they allow that?  

What are the comparisons to it being illegal to stand in a public area and tell people to commit violence against a target (violation of peaceably assemble) and doing it digitally.  Should one digitally be able to incite violence and where are those barriers?

IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #20 - 05/05/19 at 07:56:00

Whatever happened to understanding the simpleness, of sumtin we learned as children.......of:

Sticks and stones, will break my bones, but names will never hurt me, etc....?

Me thinks too many folk are looking to be victims, and butt hurt......

And once your butt is out of commission, because you want it so, you can no longer poop, and the shiet backs up so far, it reaches your brain....and all you can talk, is crap.  Grin Grin Grin  

“The biggest big business in America is not steel, automobiles, or television. It is the manufacture, refinement and distribution of anxiety.”—Eric Sevareid (1964)
  IP Logged
MnSpring
Serious Thumper

Younger than most
people my age.

Minn
Reply #21 - 05/05/19 at 12:46:29

why can't a baker refuse to bake a cake?
Eegore wrote on 05/05/19 at 06:57:34:
 Already answered that: Because of Discrimination.  Not Freedom of Speech.  Very clearly established in the legal documents.  The ruling literally says "Discriminated against".  

OK so under, Discrimination only, a person can sue a Muslim religion Sandwich shop into the ground, because they did not provide a, 'Pork' Sandwich.

Because clearly, a Christianity religion Cake Baking shop, can NOT say, 'Religion', because it is Discrimination.

Ben Franklin once said: "If you give up a freedom, for the sake of security, you will have neither".
Which is More TRUE, today, than yesterday.('06, S-40, Stock) well, mostly .
  IP Logged
Eegore
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #22 - 05/05/19 at 13:19:40

"OK so under, Discrimination only, a person can sue a Muslim religion Sandwich shop into the ground, because they did not provide a, 'Pork' Sandwich.

Because clearly, a Christianity religion Cake Baking shop, can NOT say, 'Religion', because it is Discrimination."

No.

You are clearly mixing Bill of Rights with 1st Amendment.  Also it does not pertain to this topic as cake shops refusing service is different than a customer agreeing to the Terms of Service, and complaining when a company changes or exercises them.  Even if you agreed that this is ok.

From a legal perspective these aren't even close to the same thing.  The issue here is people claim Twitter can not ban their customers from their service because it violates the 1st Amendment.

A more accurate comparison would be a cake shop letting customers have free cakes under the Terms of Service.  Then suing the cake shop for violating your freedom of speech when they don't let you have free cake anymore because you put icing on them they didn't like.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #23 - 05/05/19 at 16:36:30

Awwrite, here's what you people need to understand.
Unless someone is a part of a
Legally Protected Class
It's Fine to abuse them.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
pg
Serious Thumper

In Transit
Reply #24 - 05/05/19 at 16:43:17

^^^  That is correct.  

IIRC the Colorado bakers did win in the supreme court, but at an enormous cost.

Best regards,

I don't make the rules, I just know what they are.....

IP Logged
philthymike
Serious Thumper

Wallowing in my own
crapulence

Philadelphia Area
Reply #25 - 05/05/19 at 16:57:57

thumperclone wrote on 05/05/19 at 05:55:04:
philthymike wrote on 05/04/19 at 14:56:14:
The left doesn’t have the almighty word of God as a basis for their morality so the next best thing is to gag anyone who dares question it. Same effect, different approach. Either way childishness and self righteousness reign supreme. It’s a zero sum game. Not worth playing.

the man of 10,000 lies and the bubs have morality?
read what you wrote your post is pretty self righteous

"the Christian right is neither"

the man of 10,000 lies and the bubs? Am I supposed to know who you’re referring to?

I’ve made an objective observation. I didn’t apply wrong or right to it so not exactly sure how I’m self righteous  Huh

07 S40 (Thumpy): 666cc big bore, stage 2 webcam, dyna muffler, 412 shocks, Barnett clutch, Kawasaki ZL900 FE
  IP Logged
WebsterMark
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #26 - 05/06/19 at 04:18:53

pg wrote on 05/05/19 at 16:43:17:
^^^  That is correct.  

IIRC the Colorado bakers did win in the supreme court, but at an enormous cost.

Best regards,

if I recall correctly, the Colorado bakers won in part because they were able to prove their work was art. And the state cannot compel an artist to work on someone's behalf. Flipping a hamburger and McDonald's is not art so McDonald's could not refuse service.

IP Logged
T And T Garage
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #27 - 05/06/19 at 08:01:27

thumperclone wrote on 05/04/19 at 12:12:55:
pg wrote on 05/04/19 at 11:14:39:

your title is a gross exaggeration

even this site has posting rules
nice how  tweety supporters copy his distortions and lies

I second that Thumperclone.

IP Logged
T And T Garage
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #28 - 05/06/19 at 08:02:37

pg wrote on 05/04/19 at 14:38:41:
thumperclone wrote on 05/04/19 at 13:33:18:
abusive behavior

And how do you describe all those comments directed toward JOG?

Best regards,

On Twitter?  Last time I checked, this isn't Twitter.

IP Logged
pg
Serious Thumper

In Transit
Reply #29 - 05/06/19 at 08:18:32

T And T Garage wrote on 05/06/19 at 08:01:27:
thumperclone wrote on 05/04/19 at 12:12:55:
pg wrote on 05/04/19 at 11:14:39:

your title is a gross exaggeration

even this site has posting rules
nice how  tweety supporters copy his distortions and lies

I second that Thumperclone.

I feel the title is quite appropriate, sometimes the truth hurts...

Best regards,

I don't make the rules, I just know what they are.....

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/11/24 at 12:26:06

General CategoryPolitics, Religion (Tall Table) › More proof the left hates freedom of speech

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.