2 bikes, 1 title... (Read 319 times)
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WTF is JOG?
2 bikes, 1 title...
05/04/19 at 04:44:16

Picked up a 2006 S40 with 8500 miles on it and a clean title.  It was running last year until it wasn't.  Fires up and dies.  It has too much oil in it and it still has a stock petcock, so I think I know what the fix will be.   Smiley

Bike sat in an old, gravel floor garage so the chrome needs some elbow grease.  It needs a front tire, rear turn signals, and some other minor TLC, but it's in really good condition.  It shouldn't be too hard to get right.

It came with a little brother that had been abandoned at the property when the guy bought it.  Who knows how long it was sitting in that garage.  It's a 1981 GS450E with 5200 miles.  It looks like someone took the tank off and was doing a little work on it.  Probably wouldn't start one spring.  The gas cap was sitting loose on the tank, not sealed up, but the inside of the tank looks incredibly clean!  Maybe there is a lesson there.

So I could try and get it running and file for a title, OR  I could use it to build a cafe racer out of the S40.   Wink

Stay tuned.

IMG_20190503_181757921_BURST000_COVER_TOP.jpg
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: 2 bikes, 1 title...
Reply #1 - 05/04/19 at 05:25:34

I'd want to know I could title it before I dumped money and labor in.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
LiftdT4R
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 05/04/19 at 08:23:45

Very nice! In NJ we can do a "quit claim" title. pretty much you say it's abandoned, put an ad in the paper, then go see a judge and if no one claims it he gives you a title so long that the VIN is clear. Not sure how things work in your neck of the woods but figured I'd share.

I got bit by the bug and I am on the hunt for a cheap Savage. I really wanna do a Bobber! I havent even ridden mine yet and I know I want a second one.

IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WTF is JOG?
Reply #3 - 05/04/19 at 13:13:38

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 05/04/19 at 05:25:34:
I'd want to know I could title it before I dumped money and labor in.
------

Me too. Wink

IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WTF is JOG?
Reply #4 - 05/04/19 at 13:21:59

I have a vision of what I could build, but this deal is a straight up flip.  I won't be keeping either bike.  I'm happy with the one I have now.

The smartest thing would be fix/sell the S40 and part out the GS.  But I do have the bug to create another unique and cool bike. Smiley

« Last Edit: 05/07/19 at 08:54:25 by ohiomoto »  
  IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WTF is JOG?
Reply #5 - 05/08/19 at 05:25:54

Got around to changing the oil on the s40 yesterday and I was able to get it running.  

No gas in the oil but, look at how much oil came out of it.  LOL

IMG_20190507_173018282_HDR.jpg
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #6 - 05/08/19 at 05:45:35

That appears to be about 3 times as much as needed! Huh

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WTF is JOG?
Reply #7 - 05/08/19 at 06:08:10

I got it from a college kid.  He said it wouldn't run after he changed the oil.   It would fire up, idle a few seconds and die.  I saw the glass was full and figured it was a bad petcock. I was expecting to smell gas in the oil.   I didn't expect to drain 6-7 quarts of straight oil out of it!!  

Once I added oil, I noticed I had a small leak at the drain plug.  When I looked, it was actually oil leaking from the plug at the right front of the crankcase.  It was a little loose.  I'm thinking he thought that was the drain plug and thought he had to top off the oil at the filler. How else could he have gotten that much oil in there??

Huh Huh

IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WTF is JOG?
Reply #8 - 05/08/19 at 06:11:08

Anyhow, here is a little glimpse of what I had in mind with I saw the craigslist add except I would be building it on the LS650.  After some searching here on the forum, it sounds like the 450 rear wheel doesn't play nice with the LS650.  So I might scrap that idea and just lace up an 18" rim.

The rest of the build would go a lot like my bike.  Adjust the stance.  Mount the tank, subframe, seat/tail and deal with the foot pegs.  

I figure I could cut a "subframe" off of the GS450 and mount it to the LS.  The seat pan will probably have to be shortened to make it the right length for the LS.  I would clean up the tailpiece a little bit. I can take the pegs, shifter and rear brake from the GS and modify them to be used as mid-controls or rearsets on the LS.  Pod filter and a cone pipe with flat bars or clip-ons.  

« Last Edit: 05/08/19 at 07:30:10 by ohiomoto »  
  IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WTF is JOG?
Reply #9 - 05/08/19 at 06:24:51

Or I could save myself the hassle and flip the LS and look into getting for a title for the GS or part it out.  Smiley

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #10 - 05/08/19 at 07:00:17

I didn't expect to drain 6-7 quarts of straight oil out of it!!  

Sounds like he filled it up like a lawnmower motor.
College student, Huhh?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #11 - 05/08/19 at 07:36:16

The GS tank is really long on the Savage frame......you are gonna need long arms to reach clip-ons.

IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WTF is JOG?
Reply #12 - 05/08/19 at 08:25:54

I have long arms, but I'm not building it for me.  Have you tried or seen a GS450E tank on the LS?  

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #13 - 05/08/19 at 09:32:32

ohiomoto wrote on 05/08/19 at 08:25:54:
I have long arms, but I'm not building it for me.  Have you tried or seen a GS450E tank on the LS?  

Sorta.....I thought I was going to use the 4.5 gallon GS450 tank on a future project, and the larger tank would get me more than 200 miles before reserve......it turned out to be too long and it moves the seat back about 2-3".

Wanna' buy a NOS tank from me?

IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WTF is JOG?
Reply #14 - 05/08/19 at 10:21:23

No, you want to buy a GS450 from me? LOL

I'll keep that in mind.  I'll probably tinker around with it a bit, but maybe that will push me towards a straight flip.  I was already thinking I'd have to just about cut the seat in half as it is.

« Last Edit: 05/24/19 at 10:29:53 by ohiomoto »  
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
03/28/24 at 22:27:59

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › 2 bikes, 1 title...

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.