Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Online Sources for OEM Parts (Read 219 times)
philthymike
Serious Thumper

Wallowing in my own
crapulence

Philadelphia Area
Re: Online Sources for OEM Parts
Reply #15 - 05/10/19 at 09:25:18

Thanks!
This explains why my local Suzuki dealer always tells me to order the parts myself and bring them in with the bike if I am getting something worked on.

07 S40 (Thumpy): 666cc big bore, stage 2 webcam, dyna muffler, 412 shocks, Barnett clutch, Kawasaki ZL900 FE
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #16 - 05/10/19 at 10:08:04

In the old days dealers stocked a lot of repair inventory - as there were no computers or internet and it took a long time to get things ordered and delivered.  For the dirt bikes we kept a lot of the parts that would get damaged (handlebars, fenders,hand and foot controls, footpegs, fuel tanks)....and for all the models we would keep wear items like cables, sprockets, chains, filters.  Most manufacturers only made a few models that shared common parts like hand levers and cables.

Now dealers are trying not to tie up a lot of money in a parts inventory that will just sit on the shelves.....they only order repair parts when they are needed.  They only stock things they know will sell on a regular basis (oil, tires, filters, clothing, helmets, etc.).  There are so many models and they have so few parts in common - that it is impossible for a dealer to stock everything.  (As and example.....in the early 70's almost every Suzuki model used the same clutch and brake levers - the only exception I can think of was the GT750 that had a front brake lever that pulled 2 cables....now the street bikes used different levers than the cruisers and different levers from the dirt bikes.....and some of them are cables and some are hydraulic).  

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
philthymike
Serious Thumper

Wallowing in my own
crapulence

Philadelphia Area
Reply #17 - 05/10/19 at 14:17:54

Parts from Babbitts came. They’re the right ones too!

07 S40 (Thumpy): 666cc big bore, stage 2 webcam, dyna muffler, 412 shocks, Barnett clutch, Kawasaki ZL900 FE
  IP Logged
Bender
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

SF Bay Area, CA
Reply #18 - 05/10/19 at 18:01:34

Still waiting on mine from ronayers  Sad

I'm eager to fix this bike so I can actually ride it for the first time, but it looks like it will be another 5 days...16 day shipping in all. Not so great for a $20 shipping charge.

IP Logged
philthymike
Serious Thumper

Wallowing in my own
crapulence

Philadelphia Area
Reply #19 - 05/10/19 at 20:15:06

I feel your pain.
And now that I can get my bike rolling again the weather forecast shows solid rain for the next 5 days  :'(

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #20 - 05/11/19 at 04:13:17

Bender wrote on 05/10/19 at 18:01:34:
Still waiting on mine from ronayers  Sad

I'm eager to fix this bike so I can actually ride it for the first time, but it looks like it will be another 5 days...16 day shipping in all. Not so great for a $20 shipping charge.

What parts did you order?  Was it something obscure that had to be shipped from Japan?

IP Logged
Bender
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

SF Bay Area, CA
Reply #21 - 05/11/19 at 06:16:36

@philthymike: yeah it always seems to work that way...

@dave: I don't think so, I got the raptor Petcock, the 3 lengths of push rods, clutch cover gasket, and front brake pads.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #22 - 05/14/19 at 03:55:17

Bender wrote on 05/11/19 at 06:16:36:
@dave: I don't think so, I got the raptor Petcock, the 3 lengths of push rods, clutch cover gasket, and front brake pads.

It would not surprise me if the clutch push rods would delay things......I don't see that as anything a dealer would keep in stock.  Using them is a bit obscure (unless you are a member of this forum).

IP Logged
Bender
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

SF Bay Area, CA
Reply #23 - 05/18/19 at 20:25:25

@philthymike, same thing happened to me with the rain. Just fixed my clutch this morning, and now rain for the next 3 days! And we had no rain all of April

IP Logged
VortecCPI

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #24 - 05/19/19 at 04:48:12

Best I have found yet:  https://www.mrcycles.com

IP Logged
philthymike
Serious Thumper

Wallowing in my own
crapulence

Philadelphia Area
Reply #25 - 05/19/19 at 06:37:46

Bender wrote on 05/18/19 at 20:25:25:
@philthymike, same thing happened to me with the rain. Just fixed my clutch this morning, and now rain for the next 3 days! And we had no rain all of April

Murhpy's law I guess. The lake that is my driveway has finally dried out enough that I can work on my bike there again and be close to tools and electricity instead of in the garage down the alleyway. I'm taking advantage of the convenience while it lasts!

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/25/24 at 10:21:06

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Online Sources for OEM Parts

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.