Voting (Read 281 times)
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Voting
Reply #15 - 05/03/19 at 07:56:27

Eegore wrote on 05/03/19 at 05:41:37:
 I agree about mob mentality.  As I have stated before on here the majority of people I have asked as to why they support Trump is because they didn't like Obama.

Not policy, not future vision or credentials, just that Obama was black, Muslim, a terrorist, or just plain bad.  I guess that worked back in high school so why can't it just work for the rest of my life right?

have asked as to why they support Trump is because they didn't like Obama.

And I have never met anyone who supports Trump and didn't Dislike, disagree with, Obama...

But disliking Obama isn't WHY they like Trump.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Eegore
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #16 - 05/03/19 at 08:13:25

"But disliking Obama isn't WHY they like Trump."

That may be true, but many do not give any other reason beyond disliking Obama.  Quite literally that is exclusively the reason provided.  "Better than Obozo" was an answer I got just this morning.

Others add Hillary into the mix, others do like Trump's personality, some like the Wall, some like the Tariffs.  Some just disliked Obama so much, they voted for Trump.

I do have a list of people who are willing to discuss their decisions if you want to follow up yourself.  Most of them cellphone contacts, some are emails.

IP Logged
T And T Garage
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #17 - 05/03/19 at 08:18:26

philthymike wrote on 05/03/19 at 06:51:51:
Eegore wrote on 05/03/19 at 05:41:37:
 I agree about mob mentality.  As I have stated before on here the majority of people I have asked as to why they support Trump is because they didn't like Obama.

Not policy, not future vision or credentials, just that Obama was black, Muslim, a terrorist, or just plain bad.  I guess that worked back in high school so why can't it just work for the rest of my life right?

At the risk of sounding negative I honestly think that the majority of Americans don’t mature past high school. And for many it stopped at middle school.

With candidates all people get are feelgood messaging so most people are happy with that and don’t  bother to dig down and see what actual substance the candidacy promotes. Sadly the the feelgood messaging is about as deep as it goes anyway.

Well put PhilthyMike!

IP Logged
WebsterMark
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #18 - 05/03/19 at 08:26:38

Let's be completely honest: Trump was elected because he represented the opposite of Hillary. If any other Republican had won the nomination, Hillary would have won. For many, Trump was a protest vote.  

Everyone hated Hillary, but enough people would have stuck with her if it had been her against Jeb for example. However, because Trump was a big giant FU to the leftist Dems, the media and Hollywood, he got enough support in those key five states that he won.

And given how wacho the Democrat candidates are now, he'll win again.

IP Logged
T And T Garage
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #19 - 05/03/19 at 08:30:51

WebsterMark wrote on 05/03/19 at 08:26:38:
Let's be completely honest: Trump was elected because he represented the opposite of Hillary. If any other Republican had won the nomination, Hillary would have won. For many, Trump was a protest vote.  

Everyone hated Hillary, but enough people would have stuck with her if it had been her against Jeb for example. However, because Trump was a big giant FU to the leftist Dems, the media and Hollywood, he barely got enough support in those key five states that he won.

And given how spot on with the majority of the country the Democrat candidates are now, he'll probably lose.

FIFY

IP Logged
WebsterMark
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #20 - 05/03/19 at 08:30:58

At the risk of sounding negative I honestly think that the majority of Americans don’t mature past high school. And for many it stopped at middle school.

With candidates all people get are feelgood messaging so most people are happy with that and don’t  bother to dig down and see what actual substance the candidacy promotes. Sadly the the feelgood messaging is about as deep as it goes anyway.

People vote emotionally, all of us do. We can't always articulate exactly why we feel a certain way towards someone, but we do. Our subconscious guides much of what we think and we consciously try to justify it afterwards by selecting facts.

Now, relying on your subconscious isn't necessarily a bad thing. It's driven by what we've learned over a lifetime. Many saw Hillary as a slimy politician and they saw Trump as a bad a$$.

IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #21 - 05/03/19 at 08:32:47

Spin doctors, sound bites, etc......

I wonder too, just how much folks are getting tired of the 24/7 news cycles and the constant bombardment of negativity?

You say folks don't evolve much past late teens/early twenties, well golly, I wonder if they even got that far?

How many do not understand the wisdom in the telling of the Little Boy who cried, Wolf?

Yet.....its all we get in the news outlets.

Personally, I believe folks are getting better informed, as evidenced by the drop in publications of print type formatted news.

Instant recall and access to information, via world wide news in the palm of your hand.......
Will remove much of the ability for organized news corporations to direct the narratives of their beliefs and goals in achieving their power rankings and influence, over others.

In a weird twist of fate, they capitalize off of a addiction, that they created, to their own personal gains and welfare.....
Like a pimp, or a drug pusher, or any other unscrupulous businessman......PROFIT!

Wealth without humility, is toxic

Nelson Mandela   

“The biggest big business in America is not steel, automobiles, or television. It is the manufacture, refinement and distribution of anxiety.”—Eric Sevareid (1964)
  IP Logged
philthymike
Serious Thumper

Wallowing in my own
crapulence

Philadelphia Area
Reply #22 - 05/03/19 at 14:50:52

If I’d voted emotionally during the presidential election the voting machine would have needed repairs and possibly the fire department when I was done with it.
But I kept my head together and wrote in the best person for the job - Jello Biafra.
Surprisingly when the results came back I saw that 5 others in the state of PA also wrote him in. So out of the 12.8x million people in this state there’s 5 I know I can see eye to eye with  Cheesy

As for the relentless stream of news and information available to all 1st world peoples nowadays the thing I worry about most is the automated decisions being made by black boxes aka algorithms, which have been programmed by who knows and with what weights and rankings and ulterior motives choosing what each of us should be presented with when we search for world events or political discourse or even local news.

There’s a good book out called the Weapons of Math Destruction.
I recommend it to anyone who goes online for news and political topics.
Very eye opening stuff!

07 S40 (Thumpy): 666cc big bore, stage 2 webcam, dyna muffler, 412 shocks, Barnett clutch, Kawasaki ZL900 FE
  IP Logged
T And T Garage
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #23 - 05/03/19 at 14:53:21

philthymike wrote on 05/03/19 at 14:50:52:
If I’d voted emotionally during the presidential election the voting machine would have needed repairs and possibly the fire department when I was done with it.
But I kept my head together and wrote in the best person for the job - Jello Biafra.

YES!!!!  Awesome!!!

Surprisingly when the results came back I saw that 5 others in the state of PA also wrote him in. So out of the 12.8x million people in this state there’s 5 I know I can see eye to eye with  Cheesy

As for the relentless stream of news and information available to all 1st world peoples nowadays the thing I worry about most is the automated decisions being made by black boxes aka algorithms, which have been programmed by who knows and with what weights and rankings and ulterior motives choosing what each of us should be presented with when we search for world events or political discourse or even local news.

There’s a good book out called the Weapons of Math Destruction.
Very eye opening stuff!

Thanks PhilthyMike - I'll check it out!

IP Logged
philthymike
Serious Thumper

Wallowing in my own
crapulence

Philadelphia Area
Reply #24 - 05/03/19 at 15:21:43

Cool! It’s a good read and it even helped me with a career crisis I’ve had for the past year. I have been a Python language programmer for the past 20 years and its become the defacto choice in the Big Data industry and widely used in the destructive algorithms the book talks about. Faced with the possibility of only being able to land jobs working on that crap was extremely depressing for me. I don’t want to be part of the problem. So seeing how the author of the book had the guts to change the direction of her career to get away from it I chose to do the same. Instead I now work for Amtrak administering, planning and supporting their infrastructure. Plenty of programming work still but it’s stuff that my conscience can live with.

BTW just for the sake of clarification, I’m not a lefty and not a green party supporter. I’m not a wing period. But some people make alot of sense even if I don’t actually have the same political sensibilities as them. Jello speaks truth even in jest. The last two times he played in PA he had some really good solutions for this states problems so he has my respect for actually caring enough to address the issues of my state which he’s not a resident of. He’s really incredibly knowledgeable and an extremely likable person. So even though I’m not a Greenie he’s got my vote should he run again.

07 S40 (Thumpy): 666cc big bore, stage 2 webcam, dyna muffler, 412 shocks, Barnett clutch, Kawasaki ZL900 FE
  IP Logged
Eegore
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #25 - 05/03/19 at 16:07:39

"There’s a good book out called the Weapons of Math Destruction.
Very eye opening stuff!"

I have also recommended this.

Unless one takes a very active approach to knowing how algorithms work online they will continue to miss out on anything they don't already agree with.  I've tried to talk about it but I am contested with 1 minute Google searches from people who don't even know what streaming media is, so it's just a situation of empirical, reproduceable data versus quick-search Googling.

It's interesting people will go along with so many other conspiracies but will refuse to accept information they can literally test themselves and replicate the results.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #26 - 05/03/19 at 16:46:50

Eegore wrote on 05/03/19 at 16:07:39:
"There’s a good book out called the Weapons of Math Destruction.
Very eye opening stuff!"

I have also recommended this.

Unless one takes a very active approach to knowing how algorithms work online they will continue to miss out on anything they don't already agree with.  I've tried to talk about it but I am contested with 1 minute Google searches from people who don't even know what streaming media is, so it's just a situation of empirical, reproduceable data versus quick-search Googling.

It's interesting people will go along with so many other conspiracies but will refuse to accept information they can literally test themselves and replicate the results.

I missed it.
If you can repost it, I will follow it.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
philthymike
Serious Thumper

Wallowing in my own
crapulence

Philadelphia Area
Reply #27 - 05/03/19 at 18:57:59

The Tor network is a great option for actively avoiding being profiled by algorithms.
https://www.wired.com/story/the-grand-tor/

The Duck Duck Go search engine is useful too. And there’s a number of helpful browser plugins available too.

For those with a keen interest in this stuff consider attending HOPE in NYC every other year. The various presentations and workshops are very educational. Especially the ones where ethical hackers demonstrate the vulnerabilities of websites and software we rely on.

IP Logged
MnSpring
Serious Thumper

Younger than most
people my age.

Minn
Reply #28 - 05/04/19 at 11:16:34

T And T Garage wrote on 05/03/19 at 05:50:07:
 I do think those that have paid their debt should.

Asking, if a person, committed Cold Blooded Murder.
(A Felony) then got out after, say 10-11 years.
You would want them to Vote ?

Ben Franklin once said: "If you give up a freedom, for the sake of security, you will have neither".
Which is More TRUE, today, than yesterday.('06, S-40, Stock) well, mostly .
  IP Logged
T And T Garage
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #29 - 05/06/19 at 08:13:10

MnSpring wrote on 05/04/19 at 11:16:34:
T And T Garage wrote on 05/03/19 at 05:50:07:
 I do think those that have paid their debt should.

Asking, if a person, committed Cold Blooded Murder.
(A Felony) then got out after, say 10-11 years.
You would want them to Vote ?

If their debt to society is paid, then yes.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/11/24 at 14:46:13

General CategoryPolitics, Religion (Tall Table) › Voting

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.