Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
No Start Issue (Read 187 times)
MoSavage88
YaBB Newbies

SE Missouri
Re: No Start Issue
Reply #15 - 04/30/19 at 11:19:02

Thanks Batman! I will have some time to work on it tonight, so i'll try that and look for a few other things all of you have suggested!

1988 Savage, dark blue, 49k miles, No engine mods, Jardine muffler.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #16 - 04/30/19 at 14:50:11

MoSavage88 wrote on 04/30/19 at 11:12:57:
justin_o_guy2 wrote on 04/30/19 at 10:34:56:
Totally unlikely given the description of the problem, but it's not hard and it beats hours of chasing stuff.

Just out of curiosity, Why does a ground seem unlikely?? Again 12v systems are not my forte. I'm around body filler dust and paint fumes most of the day. I leave the wiring repairs to the guy that likes it. lol

Because it happened so quickly. It should have been a deterioration, if it was an accumulation of corrosion.
Just my opinion.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
MoSavage88
YaBB Newbies

SE Missouri
Reply #17 - 04/30/19 at 14:57:37

Ahh gotcha. Makes since as well.

IP Logged
Panhead
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Brandon, FL
Reply #18 - 04/30/19 at 18:54:32

I just went through the wiring diagrams for every year of Savage.  The neutral indicator is the only light that grounds to the engine/chassis ground directly.  All other devices ground from a separate ground wire attached to the battery negative terminal.  Someone may have altered the wiring and attached that wire to the engine/chassis.  That will work but it's more subject to loose connection and/or corrosion.  The wire should be black with white bands or spots.  Locate that wire and look for broken wire or bad connector.  That wire is the ground for everything except the neutral light.

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #19 - 04/30/19 at 20:41:38

My point exactly !  No blown fuses ,means there should be no problem with power running to anything, no lights , starting, or spark makes me think there's no ground(s).

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #20 - 04/30/19 at 20:45:56

Well, Awwritee, I might have been exactly 100% wr, wr, wr, incorrect.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
MoSavage88
YaBB Newbies

SE Missouri
Reply #21 - 05/03/19 at 07:08:45

ITS ALIVE!! Sorry about the delay guys. My mom was in the hospital and put a hold on working on anything. Anyhow it ended up being that two ground wires into the one(green/brown) wire that was cut. As soon as I stripped it back and grounded it, she fired right up! So I fixed all of the wiring the correct way, taped everything up, routed it nicely and it looks significantly better! Thank all of you for your help!!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #22 - 05/03/19 at 07:49:43

Whu?? How were they cut?
Who dunnit?

IP Logged
MoSavage88
YaBB Newbies

SE Missouri
Reply #23 - 05/03/19 at 08:13:12

I really think that it was initially attached to the negative terminal(where i wired it back to anyway) and the wires just got brittle and broke off flush making it look cut.

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #24 - 05/04/19 at 16:39:34

MoSavage88 wrote on 05/03/19 at 08:13:12:
I really think that it was initially attached to the negative terminal(where i wired it back to anyway) and the wires just got brittle and broke off flush making it look cut.  

You may well have this occur again, if the battery has a chance of moving even slightly when hitting road bumps. Do yourself a favor and use a wire extended to reach the battery ground at the case, the bolt who's location I described in my earlier posting.

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #25 - 05/04/19 at 16:42:35

MoSavage88 wrote on 05/03/19 at 08:13:12:

You may well have this occur again, if the battery has a chance of moving even slightly when hitting road bumps. Do yourself a favor and use a wire extended to reach the battery ground at the case, the bolt who's location I described in my earlier posting. ( the opposite end of the battery ground wire, from where you have it now)

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/30/24 at 16:35:16

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › No Start Issue

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.