Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
No Start Issue (Read 187 times)
MoSavage88
YaBB Newbies

SE Missouri
No Start Issue
04/29/19 at 18:37:31

Hey guys, I don't post much(1 or 2 thus far) but I'm on almost everyday and constantly reading your guys posts. Anyway I'm hoping hoping you can help me out. I was on my way to work this morning when out of the blue I just had a loss of 12v power. Naturally my bike died and I was able to coast into a parkinglot where it stayed until I could grab a trailer and bring it home. I bought a brand new battery thinking maybe that was the issue but still nothing. I turn the key on and the only thing that comes on is the neutral light, no headlight,turn signal running lights, or speedo lights. The bike doesn't even so much as click when I push the start button. I have attached a picture of some wiring that I found to be messed up when I pulled the side cover off. I "fixed" the two circled ones(just to see if it would start, then more permanent fix if yes) and the one with the arrow was just cut all together and no trace of where it was supposed to go. Would these have anything to do with y problem?? Or any other Ideas as to what it could be? I am mechanically inclined, though electrical diagnostic work isn't my forte. Thanks!!

IMG_29181.jpg

1988 Savage, dark blue, 49k miles, No engine mods, Jardine muffler.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: No Start Issue
Reply #1 - 04/29/19 at 19:05:21

Check fuses
If good
Check connectors under the tank

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
MoSavage88
YaBB Newbies

SE Missouri
Reply #2 - 04/29/19 at 19:12:20

I checked the two fuses on the right side of the bike(didn’t see any others)  and they weren’t blown and all connectors under tank seem to be tight. I pushed them all together just Incase.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #3 - 04/29/19 at 19:15:40

Welll, then I'm gonna Hafta step back and see what the smart guys have to offer.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #4 - 04/29/19 at 19:58:15

Let me guess... '86?
I've never seen one, so let me get out the weegee board.
1st, looks like your TDI has only 4 wires, I think there should be 6.
that loose wire black with a white stripe could go to the battery negative terminal.
Looks like there may be a cut wire on the battery terminal.
black with a white stripe is ground all over the bike.
those wires with the black braid appear to be hot, can't tell you what as 86 has weird wiring.

WWW   IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #5 - 04/29/19 at 20:30:28

Two wires run to the pickup coil and run to the TDI ignition box , one you've twisted together (green) and the other should be orange. they and the three yellow wires (alternator ) normally run behind the front pulley, under a clip , and into the alternator casing. I would check to make sure the clip is in place ,it keeps the pulley from cutting through the wires (which may have caused your problem)
   I'm not sure what the second circle (wire) is the picture isn't that clear.
    the wire the arrow is pointing to is a replacement, but traces back to the double connector with black /white strips ,showing that these are grounds. they should probably be run behind the battery box to the right side case , and connected under the casing bolt with the battery ground.(above and inboard of the oil level sight glass).
 hope this helps.

PS . Vercy is right ,6 wires to the TDI

black,  from the starter motor (sends a signal to retard timing at startup)
black/yellow,  from the coil
black/white  to ground
orange/white ,power from the kill switch
orange , to the pickup coil
green ,from the pickup coil    (Clymer's --1986-1988)

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
MoSavage88
YaBB Newbies

SE Missouri
Reply #6 - 04/30/19 at 09:29:24

Sorry about the picture quality, Here I thought it was pretty good Grin Here is a little better picture of what you were looking at. Just in case it helps.(I have the other side of that black connector, just plugged it in to see if that was the issue. That terminal end was also disconnected, though it didn't solve the issue..)

Verslagen: Close! Its an 88 but the way it looks they're the same bike..Turns out there are actually six wires from the TDI, guess it was just the angle.

Batman:I didn't have time this morning but I will definitely trace those wires to the pulley and see if thats what happened!! I will also check on that ground. That is where the green wire thats cut came out from(behind the battery box). Would it be possible to just connect it to the negative terminal since its already right there? Or does it need to need a chassis ground specifically?

*not sure why it keeps flipping the images Huh*

IMG_2920.JPG

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #7 - 04/30/19 at 09:50:28

I'm not that familiar with 88 wiring.
but that green wire goes to a connector with a brown wire.
brown usually goes to the tail light.

WWW   IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #8 - 04/30/19 at 10:12:26

You need to have a volt/ohmmeter ,and a wiring diagram ,and trace and restore the harness . It looks like the PO has done a cobb-job that you'll need to straighten out.

IP Logged
MoSavage88
YaBB Newbies

SE Missouri
Reply #9 - 04/30/19 at 10:28:34

Verslagen: are you referring to the green wires I twisted together, or coming from the TDI box?

Batman: Thats just about the last thing I wanted to hear. lol

Looks Like I've got a weekend in the shop planned.

Would any of these have anything to do with my no start issue?? I guess maybe if that 2 black/white wires into green brown wire needs to be to a ground, that could cause it? Sorry to keep asking so many questiosn and bothering you guys, its just so nice outside I hate seeing it on the trailer..

IP Logged
Panhead
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Brandon, FL
Reply #10 - 04/30/19 at 10:28:50

I recently had a similar issue.  Running fine when I turned it off.  Next morning all I had was the neutral light.  Nothing else worked.  I found 2 problems with the battery ground cable.  The screw holding the cable to the battery was a bit loose with a good bit of corrosion which also didn't help.  Cleaned it up and reattached it.  Still had same problem.  Found the small ground wire from the battery broken off at a single wire connector behind the left frame side cover.  Replaced the wire and all is well. It sounds like you might have the same problem.

IP Logged
MoSavage88
YaBB Newbies

SE Missouri
Reply #11 - 04/30/19 at 10:32:22

Panhead wrote on 04/30/19 at 10:28:50:
I recently had a similar issue.  Running fine when I turned it off.  Next morning all I had was the neutral light.  Nothing else worked.  I found 2 problems with the battery ground cable.  The screw holding the cable to the battery was a bit loose with a good bit of corrosion which also didn't help.  Cleaned it up and reattached it.  Still had same problem.  Found the small ground wire from the battery broken off at a single wire connector behind the left frame side cover.  Replaced the wire and all is well. It sounds like you might have the same problem.

Definitely sounds just like what I'm into! Right now my negative battery terminal only has the big main ground connected to it, so it sounds like I need to be looking for a smaller wire that also attaches to the ground terminal and runs to a connector behind the side cover?

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #12 - 04/30/19 at 10:34:56

Since the fuses and connectors check out, and you lost lights and ignition
I'd start at the ignition switch.
Test power there
Then look at the wiring as it goes into the harness.
Look at the harness
See any signs of someone messing around in it?
If yes, go to whichever is easier
Into the harness or to the next connector.
See if power got where it's supposed to.

The decompression timer is another place to go study.
Of course
Doesn't matter where the twelve volts is, if there is no ground.
Check that out.
Totally unlikely given the description of the problem, but it's not hard and it beats hours of chasing stuff.

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #13 - 04/30/19 at 11:12:08

The first thing I'd do is run the wire the arrow pointed to in the first pic ,to the ground bolt the battery uses at the case.  those carry all the grounds from the lights /etc.  Nothing works unless the circuit is complete . The battery ground wire (heavy) only grounds the starter motor through the case to the neg. battery post, all other grounds are run through the small black/white wires in the main harness to the same bolt the battery ground is connected to. No ground =no worky.

IP Logged
MoSavage88
YaBB Newbies

SE Missouri
Reply #14 - 04/30/19 at 11:12:57

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 04/30/19 at 10:34:56:
Totally unlikely given the description of the problem, but it's not hard and it beats hours of chasing stuff.

Just out of curiosity, Why does a ground seem unlikely?? Again 12v systems are not my forte. I'm around body filler dust and paint fumes most of the day. I leave the wiring repairs to the guy that likes it. lol

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/30/24 at 16:45:53

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › No Start Issue

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.