Send Topic Print
Black belt Knock out! (Read 144 times)
Matchless G11

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Newfoundland NJ
Black belt Knock out!
04/27/19 at 13:16:48

I have a Ryca conversion that has no belt guards, and no brackets to put them on. It has rear sets.
Has anyone have any problems running with out  them (the guards)?

What I am worried about is parts of me or my clothing pulled into it.   Embarrassed

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Black belt Knock out!
Reply #1 - 04/27/19 at 14:46:39

The top side of the front pulley is a pinch point that could bite, especially if you go down. Others have done without and so far, nobody has reported losing any bits, but I wouldn't do it.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Eegore
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 04/27/19 at 15:43:37

I've gone down on that front pulley a few times, it shredded my pants each time.  If you have a sturdy full-size boot you will most likely be ok but it will eat part of the boot as well.  

My boots do not have laces, I wouldn't ever consider laces on a bike with an exposed primary, I've seen pulleys rip legs into the bike by the laces.

IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WTF is JOG?
Reply #3 - 04/28/19 at 03:48:26

I just have the pulley cover on mine.  No issues and I only worry if I have a passenger with me which I never do.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #4 - 04/28/19 at 04:39:36

The rear sets put my feet right up against the engine pulley cover - I did have my boot laces pulled off once when it went into the little slotted holes in the aluminum cover.

I do have the small RYCA belt guard on mine - I not longer have the big chrome covers.  I have only once had a small stone get in the belt....I avoid riding on gravel roads whenever possible.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #5 - 04/28/19 at 08:59:11

A worst case scenario
Go down, engine and rear wheel still making speed, foot or other valuable thing hit the belt near the pulley, and get yanked in. It's a real possibility. It requires a, hopefully very rare moment,
A crash.
And That very slim odds moment has to get coupled with Another slim odds moment,  where you have bits of you, under the bike that is on its left side.
AND those bits find that pinch point.
Or, it's sliding on the right side and you wind up on top, and That scenario I've seen, as I totaled the Guzzi.

It's a slim odds thing that the pinch point bites someone. But anything aside from textile losses will be a painful problem.
Nothing I'd do, it's your call, just trying to offer information that will help you make the decision.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Matchless G11

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Newfoundland NJ
Reply #6 - 04/28/19 at 13:42:24

I do have the cover for the front pulley on the bike.
But have not been able to find a modded swingarm with the belt guard brackets (still there) cheap.
Just been leery of riding it.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #7 - 04/28/19 at 13:52:14

Takes more effort to get into the rear pinch point.
It's on the bottom.
I'd ride it. Look at stock ones.
If you're really concerned, what would it take to fashion and clamp something on that would deflect body parts from the pinch point?
You can ride while you shop.

IP Logged
norm92de
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

El Paso TX
Reply #8 - 04/28/19 at 14:16:13

If it were me I would not take any chances with the belt guards.

You know what Murphy says about things like this. Of course it is your body not mine. Smiley

2014 S40. Raptor. idle mixture adj.Needle raised one notch. 4000' altitude. Stock jets. Shell Rotella synthetic.
  IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WTF is JOG?
Reply #9 - 04/29/19 at 05:59:33

ohiomoto wrote on 04/28/19 at 03:48:26:
I just have the pulley cover on mine.  No issues and I only worry if I have a passenger with me which I never do.
-------

I have Mid-Controls so I guess, my original answer isn't really relevant.  Sorry about that.  So I'm switching to Dave's answer.  Wink

IMG_20180220_170816367_HDR_001.jpg
  IP Logged
Matchless G11

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Newfoundland NJ
Reply #10 - 04/29/19 at 17:53:05

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 04/28/19 at 08:59:11:
A worst case scenario
Go down, engine and rear wheel still making speed, foot or other valuable thing hit the belt near the pulley, and get yanked in. It's a real possibility. It requires a, hopefully very rare moment,
A crash.
And That very slim odds moment has to get coupled with Another slim odds moment,  where you have bits of you, under the bike that is on its left side.
AND those bits find that pinch point.
Or, it's sliding on the right side and you wind up on top, and That scenario I've seen, as I totaled the Guzzi.

It's a slim odds thing that the pinch point bites someone. But anything aside from textile losses will be a painful problem.
Nothing I'd do, it's your call, just trying to offer information that will help you make the decision.

When I crashed my Guzzi, I saw the oil pan in a blur, so I was either going over the bike with it upside down, or it was going over me.  Sad

IP Logged
Matchless G11

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Newfoundland NJ
Reply #11 - 04/29/19 at 17:54:56

ohiomoto wrote on 04/29/19 at 05:59:33:
ohiomoto wrote on 04/28/19 at 03:48:26:
-------

I have Mid-Controls so I guess, my original answer isn't really relevant.  Sorry about that.  So I'm switching to Dave's answer.  Wink

Thanks Ohiomoto, I would like do mid controls on mine, It is just a bit beyond my fabrication skills.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #12 - 04/30/19 at 05:32:22

I think you would have to do some serious gymnastics to get any body parts stuck in the pinch point at the bottom of the rear pulley....or the top of the front pulley if you have the engine cover in place - in an fall I guess anything is possible.

You are more apt to get a stone or stick or other debris in the belt - but on paved roads it doesn't happen very often.  If you ride dirt or gravel roads, you probably should have guards to help keep debris out of the belt....or switch to a chain.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #13 - 04/30/19 at 09:09:11

the top of the front pulley if you have the engine cover in place - in an fall I

My understanding of
I have no belt guards
Meant that was also gone.

The stuff from there back is mostly decorative and avoiding abrasion.
And protecting the belt.
Getting bits mangled is just not likely.

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #14 - 04/30/19 at 09:24:29

I don't see how the guards really do anything to protect the belt from stone damage, that usually occurs from a stone being trapped between the inside of the belt and a pulley. Neither guard protects that area. Damage of this type is more or less a freak occurrence , and the only way to prevent it would be to totally enclose the belt. I do run both guards (I ride double often) , travel dirt /stone roads at times , and have never had a problem. My top guard has been cut short just behind the left shock to remove the curled section ,as I believe this cuts down on the amount of crud carried toward the front pulley area by the outside of the belt which might be trapped between the front pulley and the motor case. A stone jammed between the front pulley and the case may do more damage to the back of the belt ,than a hole in the belt from a stone , and the top guard does afford protection in this case.( a small hole usually doesn't weaken the belt enough to stop it's use- if centered in the belt).

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/19/24 at 05:27:22

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Black belt Knock out!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.