Heads up...... (Read 29 times)
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Heads up......
04/17/19 at 20:43:27

Just want to pass on some information that a lot of people are not aware of.....
Everyone should have a IRA, don't think the goverment will provide for you when you are older, or become disabled early.

Try and max it out!

Also, its can NOT be touched, if for whatever reason you need to declare a bankruptcy....
Its is protected by law.

Never use it to pay down/off debt....NEVER.

Folks just do not understand what a fantastic tool the goverment gave us with these saving plans......

However, you just have to take advantage of it YOURSELF!

Stop complaining and do something, instead.....you will be amazed at all the other things that come with taking control of your life, for yourself!  Smiley

“The biggest big business in America is not steel, automobiles, or television. It is the manufacture, refinement and distribution of anxiety.”—Eric Sevareid (1964)
  IP Logged
Eegore
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Heads up......
Reply #1 - 04/18/19 at 05:19:09

This is true.

While I think that if the Government goes completely bankrupt we also will not have access to IRA's, or anything we do not have in our possession.

Another thing to consider is that some IRA's such as Roth have maximum contribution amounts per year, so if you max that out, put the rest into other accessible investment funds.  Savings/checking is the last thing one should do, literally only have enough for 3 months of expenses.

IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #2 - 04/18/19 at 06:41:15

You can put more in, you just won't get a bigger tax offset/break.

Also, I believe it is 59 1/2 years of age, you can do what is called a catch up, and it allows you to put even more away.

You can do a pre-tax, where you get every buck into it, which lowers your "taxable" income for that year, which I did/do, and will pay taxes on it only when its withdrawn, which I might never do, or at a much lower taxed rate.

Lots of stuff out there, just "do it".
When I knew my retirement was looming, I took out over 20 grand to buy my truck that I knew I was going to use to pull my trailer in retirement.
I "loaned" it to myself at 4% interest, paid no tax on the withdraw, and I am paying myself back......

Can't do that now, because it was a option/tool, that was written into this account that was part of my employment. My employer would match up to 8% of the money I put in too.
If you have that offered where you work, you MUST take advantage of it, if not that is like throwing money away.

“The biggest big business in America is not steel, automobiles, or television. It is the manufacture, refinement and distribution of anxiety.”—Eric Sevareid (1964)
  IP Logged
Eegore
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 04/18/19 at 12:59:13

"You can put more in, you just won't get a bigger tax offset/break."

True, but you will get more capital returns.  Unless your tax offsets double every 8-9 years the IRA should outpace any tax breaks.  A good portfolio should double every 8-9 years.

The pre-tax is a Roth IRA and is a good choice closer to retirement, however the same tax to returns method typically applies when using a traditional post-withdrawal tax option.  For instance the compounding interest over 30 years will far outpace the taxes one would pay, so early on the more put in the better.  

Most of the "matching" percentage funds out there today are 401K and I personally wouldn't waste my time with one, but that's just given my personal situation.  The matching funds are nice, but for me, I wouldn't do anything over the matched amount.

IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #4 - 04/18/19 at 13:42:11

I agree with you to a certain point, and you eluded to it already, age....

If you are young, with years of work ahead of you, then I agree with your assessment.

I only brought it up, about putting more in, was because of the ability to skirt financial liability, during those working years, if you fall upon lean times and can not meet your obligations....WHICH, you should have already factored in BEFORE exposing yourself to such risk.....

Yes, you need some assets that are readily liquidated and readily accessible WITHOUT penalties.  
But lets be honest, everyone of us has risk beyond our control, its not just about bad planing, or failure to invest a certain way.

AND......as a youngster, you lock it away, you can remove the temptations that go along with buying whims  Grin

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/11/24 at 16:15:58

General CategoryPolitics, Religion (Tall Table) › Heads up......

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.