Send Topic Print
Aftermarket Throttle (Read 54 times)
backroadbozo
YaBB Newbies

Catch Me If You Can

Gettysburg, PA
Aftermarket Throttle
04/16/19 at 17:31:05

Hey everybody, I'm still new to the forums and to building motorcycles in general but I recently purchased a bone stock 96 savage back in January and have been building/bobbing it since. I'm looking to change to an aluminum throttle tube but want to keep the stock throttle housing or whatever where the cable feeds into. I'm eyeing at the MOONSMC quarter turn throttle and just wondering if it will work with the stock stuff? It's labeled for a Harley but a 1 inch throttle tube is a 1 inch throttle tube, right? Thanks in advance!

Also I tried to include a pic or two so hopefully I did it correctly

-Ty

D4CJz1ZvSD2A5v6zf87zNA_thumb_762.jpg

1996 Suzuki Savage
  IP Logged
SpamyToo

Re: Aftermarket Throttle
Reply #1 - 04/16/19 at 19:54:34

At one point I changed out my throttle tube to a different one.  It turned out to be just different enough that my throttle became stuck on at full throttle on a road.  It was an exciting ride.

The problem I encountered was that the cam that spins inside of the throttle housing was narrower than the stock one.  So it allowed the throttle tube to travel in and out and then it moved to a point where it stuck.

I solved the problem at the time putting a bead of jb weld on one side to thicken the throttle tube cam.  It seems hoopty but it worked for a bunch of years just fine.

So the lesson is, it might be hard to get all the information from the seller or vendor.  You might have to compare it next to what you have.  Or if possible ask them all the dimensions of the throttle tube and then compare it to the stock one.

WWW   IP Logged
backroadbozo
YaBB Newbies

Catch Me If You Can

Gettysburg, PA
Reply #2 - 04/17/19 at 08:58:48

That definitely sounds like it was an exciting ride haha! and that's kind of what I was worried about was the cam being a different size and also the inlet that the throttle and throttle cam go into where the kill switch is. I'm all for making things work though, jimmy rigged or professional. If it works and holds up, it works! I'll look into getting more detailed dimensions on the upgrade throttle but I think I'm going to pull the plug and buy it regardless and see if I can rig something up. I appreciate the reply! Thanks!

1996 Suzuki Savage
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #3 - 04/17/19 at 12:54:35

As I recall the Savage and the Sportster throttle tubes are very similar , but I couldn’t tell you if it will work. I think it requires some modification to make it work.

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #4 - 04/17/19 at 12:56:13

Oh yeah , your build looks great so far !

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/23/24 at 18:17:18

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Aftermarket Throttle

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.