Send Topic Print
19" Rear Wheel? (Read 110 times)
motoguy
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

19" Rear Wheel?
04/11/19 at 18:46:39

I want to build a true Flat Track bike, with 19" front and rear wheels.  Is their any problems mounting a 19" rim to the rear hub?  I am thinking that the swing arm will have to be modified and go with longer shocks - how long I don't know, is their anything else I should know?

IP Logged
Eegore
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: 19" Rear Wheel?
Reply #1 - 04/11/19 at 21:02:47

You may get it to fit but the belt will be very tight.

I would recommend cutting into the swingarm to increase clearance.

IP Logged
Matchless G11

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Newfoundland NJ
Reply #2 - 04/12/19 at 04:27:46

I hear the spokes angle (and length ?) are the same as the Xs650, and there are plenty of flat track xs650s.
But as Eegore stated the swingarm will have to be moded. you can get some 18 tires on the back without a modded swingarm. but watch your tire height. Even with a modded swingarm you might not be able to fit a 19. Why ? The choice for a rear 19" are limited and the flat track tires are high, unless you want to run a ft tire.
My personal recommendation is not to run a ft tire on the rear.  

But others on this sight are smarter than me, So let the replies chime in.

IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 04/12/19 at 06:33:43

I used xs650 spokes with my 18" rim,  a stock swingarm, shocks, and belt drive.  The trie has to be 26" in diameter max.  

You can do a 19" rim.  The limitations are tire clearance and belt tension, but you can mod the swingarm and/or do a chain drive.   I was thinking of doing a speedway style build with skinny tires.  I was going to use a stock front rim and I think I found a few tires that would fit without modding the swingarm.

IP Logged
motoguy
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 04/12/19 at 08:46:20

I did check with Buchanan's on using a 19" rim from a LS650 on a LS650 rear hub.  They said they have the spokes but they were afraid that the spokes would bow because the 19" rim was designed for a narrower hub.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #5 - 04/12/19 at 09:13:05

You can find existing 18" that may be compatible with the savage pulley and brake hub.
Certain years of the GS450 and 550 are interchangeable.
I would start there.

WWW   IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 04/13/19 at 05:40:57

motoguy wrote on 04/12/19 at 08:46:20:
I did check with Buchanan's on using a 19" rim from a LS650 on a LS650 rear hub.  They said they have the spokes but they were afraid that the spokes would bow because the 19" rim was designed for a narrower hub.
-----------

That could be true, but I think our front hub is actually wider than our rear hub and not by much.  

Our skinny rear hub doesn't play well with most pre drilled rims.  I had to open up the holes on a cheep rim that was allegedly drilled for an XS.  I think it was just a cheap 18" motocross rim.

IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #7 - 04/13/19 at 14:48:53

If your going to go with a 19” rear wheel the swing arm will need to be modded , you should go with a rear disc brake too while your at it. It will look more authentic. I did 18” front & rear and it looks great. Are you using the Ryca kit ?

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
motoguy
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 04/19/19 at 06:41:07

I am trying not to use Ryca parts but would like to fab my parts.  I was wondering what is the maximum shock length that I could use with either the belt drive or the chain drive?  The reason I asked is that I found some Fox Shocks that are 13.5 inches eye to eye and was wondering if I could use them.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #9 - 04/19/19 at 07:04:32

13.5 inch shock length is the maximum in my opinion....any longer than that and the belt tension will change excessively.

You will have to run the belt tension looser at rest - when you sit on the bike the tension will increase...and even more so when you hit a bump.  I adjusted mine by removing the shocks and setting the swing arm height at the 10.5 inch fully compressed length....then adjust the belt snug....and observing how tight it was when I put the shocks back on.  I believe it is better to run the belt a bit too loose rather than too tight.  (The fully compressed height may be different for the shocks you end up using).

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #10 - 04/19/19 at 19:13:46

I believe it is better to run the belt a bit too loose rather than too tight.

Aww HAYULL Yeah

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #11 - 04/20/19 at 18:48:00

When the swingarm is  level ,the belt becomes fully extended unless longer shocks don't allow the swingarm to reach level. I believe the stock shocks do.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/04/24 at 00:36:37

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › 19" Rear Wheel?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.