Communicating........ (Read 32 times)
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Communicating........
04/11/19 at 09:16:24

Having just celebrated 38 years with my bride, I can share with you one thought that has really helped in overcoming the rough spots.....

And that would be learning how to communicate.

Even though women ALWAYS think they are right, in any er, discussion of disagreement  Grin
You must understand that right, or wrong, is nothing more than a "want" to any dialogue of opposing views/beliefs.

If....that is your sole purpose, you will fail miserably in a relationship, and I dare say, life in general.

Trying to understand any opposing views/beliefs is paramount, its the wisdom behind the adage "Walk a mile in another mans shoes......"

If you find confrontation with dialogue troubling.....
If you find it brings anger, upheaval, distraught thought, resentment, etc, then you ARE aware that YOU are the one who is INVITING those emotions into your life......
NOT, your partner, or life, itself.
No one can force that upon you, you have to WILLINGLY accept those emotions into your own head.

Yeah, easier said than done, but doable, with certain understandings.

Don't take things personal.
Don't make assumptions.
Be impeccable with spoken words/speech.

And finally, always try/do your best......
Which, is a always changing scenario based on how we are presently living/thinking about circumstance and implementing the 3 listed tools above.

And with a partner, one more thing, do NOT let the sun set on your anger......
If you can't muster the ability and strength to abide by this one thing, then I suggest the real issue resides in YOU, and your NEED to be RIGHT....
Which is a self worth and inferiority issue that only YOU can absolve through being honest with self.....

So, that is about it, other than just always be right  Grin Grin Grin

PEACE DUDES.......class over  Smiley

“The biggest big business in America is not steel, automobiles, or television. It is the manufacture, refinement and distribution of anxiety.”—Eric Sevareid (1964)
  IP Logged
Eegore
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Communicating........
Reply #1 - 04/11/19 at 20:41:33

I use two rules for communication:

Understand to be understood.

Keep dialogue productive.

Basically, for me, nothing else is relevant.

IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #2 - 04/12/19 at 07:33:07

I like......understand to be understood.

It is the meaning behind the metaphor of walking in another shoes.....

I will use a topical phrase to how folks do not read and grasp the intent of a given sentence.

Black lives matter

Its not a question, its a declaration, with only one intent.
It is not a challenge to other races, saying Black lives matter more than their collective race(s).

But we have seen how folks have read into it more than what the sentence reveals.
Why they do this, I would guess the reasons many......

Now take MAGA.......

It does not say, make more White old men in power......sorry Joe and Bernie  Grin

Its intent is to the understanding of a time when the middle-class was strong, vibrant, and accessible via a strong economy, growing, etc....

Of course it wasn't the same access to all, that is not the intent of the phrase, that is trying to extend its meaning beyond its intentions.

I think in your "understand to be understood" it is paramount to clarify intentions, if we are to understand.
Once we reach that point of communication, then we can offer constructive dialogue......

Would you agree with that assessment?

I mean how can you argue a point, if you can't agree what the argument is about?

“The biggest big business in America is not steel, automobiles, or television. It is the manufacture, refinement and distribution of anxiety.”—Eric Sevareid (1964)
  IP Logged
Eegore
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 04/12/19 at 10:07:46

"Would you agree with that assessment?"

Yes.

I mean how can you argue a point, if you can't agree what the argument is about? "

That's why I ask for people to define or clarify things.  If I don't know what the other party is talking about, I'm just posting my ideas just to see my ideas up on the board, and the discussion goes nowhere.

IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #4 - 04/12/19 at 11:36:55

Eegore wrote on 04/12/19 at 10:07:46:
"Would you agree with that assessment?"

Yes.

I mean how can you argue a point, if you can't agree what the argument is about? "

That's why I ask for people to define or clarify things.  If I don't know what the other party is talking about, I'm just posting my ideas just to see my ideas up on the board, and the discussion goes nowhere.

Perfect  Smiley

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/10/24 at 22:27:36

General CategoryPolitics, Religion (Tall Table) › Communicating........

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.