HOMELESS IN SEATTLE (Read 166 times)
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
HOMELESS IN SEATTLE
04/04/19 at 11:00:49

We use to have hobos, they were rare, pretty much harmless, most appeared as a free spirit, that just couldn't be tamed, they wandered, in a romantic way....

What has changed?

I believe, and I will use the African American, as a example, as to what happens when the goverment tries to help by lowering the bar of expectations, or even worse, enabling.

It tore the Black family apart, without achieving it means.
By enabling it is saying, you can't, on your own, and you must rely on me.
That might not have been its intentions, however, it is the resulting.

We thought keeping score might hurt little kids, playing games, we promoted that mindset, and in effect, rendered sports moot at teaching kids the more important element about life, good sportsmanship.

We promoted out-based education on results, not on set expectations, that provided the necessities children need, to carry them into a productive and competitive adult life.

We did all of this to make OUR job, our responsibility to ensure we pass on the wherewithal the future generations would need to be self sustaining, self assured, self reliant.
When armed with those traits and characteristic, they can then help those who can't help themselves, willingly, and gain the self respect, that only they can give themselves, for doing the right thing.....

We did it to make our lives easier, we were selfish, self absorbed, and opened the door to failure..... to them, and to society.

You can't kill the human spirit, our very soul, that each one has uniquely to themselves.
With us not teaching our children they need to find it by honest work, habits, behavior, we let them off the "hook" and they now search through drugs, delusion, and other self destructing and self demeaning avenues, to find the "why, what, am I" in life.

We need to get back to what worked, teaching them what they NEED TO KNOW, and telling our children NO, and sticking to it, YES, YES, YES....it can and is hard, but its part of the process that benefits them when they will need it most.

Finally, and this can not be argued, actions have consequences, always have, always real, LIFE is not a video game, OR a reality TV show, or about feeling good all the time.
Adversity strengthens us, when we face it head on, accepting it as a opportunity, not a excuse, to fail....bottom of the ninth, 2 outs, two strikes, bases loaded, give it your best, and accept the outcome, not on the error you made, that allowed them to take the lead......

We need to elect politicians, and listen to social leaders, who will make getting back to the basics, their priority...fixating on obscure, abstract, possible problems, is avoiding the real problem, we are not loving our kids, by being the parent, disciplinarians, teachers, but opt to be a friend, instead...enablers.

Once we fix this, we can tackle the other issues. PEACE!

“The biggest big business in America is not steel, automobiles, or television. It is the manufacture, refinement and distribution of anxiety.”—Eric Sevareid (1964)
  IP Logged
T And T Garage
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: HOMELESS IN SEATTLE
Reply #1 - 04/04/19 at 11:47:01

Could not disagree more.

"I believe, and I will use the African American, as a example" - seriously?

It's not about "the African American" - it's about poverty.  It seems you've been brainwashed into thinking that only African Americans are the ones "suffering" at the hands of welfare.

Ever been to Kentucky?  Ever been to Oklahoma? Plenty of non-African Americans are on welfare and have broken homes. (it just doesn't get any press)

So, first and foremost, get over the "African American" thing.  This is about poverty and the lousy job our government has done.  They've turned it from a war on poverty to a war an the poor.  They're an easy target - as proved by your initial assumption.

Second - the entitlement generation didn't come about by itself.  People our age are responsible.  I know plenty of helicopter parents that "know" their kid deserves better.  The mindset that we hold others responsible instead of ourselves (blaming the poor instead of the corporations and government - sound familiar?), pointing a finger at someone else for what's messed up in your own life is why we have those entitled kids/young adults.  It's generational and sad to say - it was our generation that caused it.

What we really need are politicians that actually put their constituents first, and not their big money donors/corporations.  What we need are politicians who set and example of how to conduct ourselves.  What we need are leaders and fighters for the greater good, not corporatists.

Now, do I have all the answers?  Hell no.  But people like AOC, Bernie and others seem to be on the right path.  Since the 80's, this country has been in the pockets of the 1% and corporations.  We've been sold to the highest bidder and it shows.  Our productivity is way up, but our salaries have barely budged.  Why do you think that is?  Is it because that poor person is on too much welfare?  No, but that's what many would have you believe.

You want to fix this?  Then stop thinking that pulling yourselves up by your bootstraps is the only thing that can be done.

Take a cue from this:
http://www.forbes.com/sites/learnvest/2012/11/01/my-journey-from-lazy-welfare...

IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #2 - 04/04/19 at 12:41:28

Hey, thanks for sharing.....

Not sure if you understand my referencing to African Americans as merely a example of how good intentions can have a adverse effect.
Not sure why you extend it beyond that.

Heck, it seems you missed the message I was trying to convey, anyway.

Oh well, have a good day, and thanks for sharing, PEACE.

“The biggest big business in America is not steel, automobiles, or television. It is the manufacture, refinement and distribution of anxiety.”—Eric Sevareid (1964)
  IP Logged
T And T Garage
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 04/04/19 at 13:02:54

raydawg wrote on 04/04/19 at 12:41:28:
Hey, thanks for sharing.....

Not sure if you understand my referencing to African Americans as merely a example of how good intentions can have a adverse effect.
Not sure why you extend it beyond that.

You mentioned that there is some sort of enabling.   I say there is no such thing.  Welfare is not an enabler.  Sadly, it's necessary.  You using African Americans is another thing altogether and simply wrong.

Heck, it seems you missed the message I was trying to convey, anyway.

No, I got your message.  I responded in kind.  To put it bluntly - you're once again railing on political correctness.  That's what you've done in the past, and that's what you're doing now.

You misinterpret it.  You generalize it into something that it's not.

Giving Jimmy a trophy for showing up isn't political correctness, it's a bad idea.  Rewarding mediocrity is not PC, it's pointless.

Oh well, have a good day, and thanks for sharing, PEACE.  

Peace indeed.

IP Logged
pg
Serious Thumper

In Transit
Reply #4 - 04/04/19 at 17:31:28

Excluding any particular demographic, the left is cultivating a permanent under-class of voters who will never have the means or opportunity to raise themselves out of doldrums.

Best regards,

I don't make the rules, I just know what they are.....

IP Logged
T And T Garage
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 04/04/19 at 19:15:04

pg wrote on 04/04/19 at 17:31:28:
Excluding any particular demographic, the left is cultivating a permanent under-class of voters who will never have the means or opportunity to raise themselves out of doldrums.

Best regards,

You're obviously clueless about what welfare is or what it does.  Have you ever been on it?  Have you ever known anyone who's been on it?

Read that story that I posted above.

IP Logged
pg
Serious Thumper

In Transit
Reply #6 - 04/05/19 at 03:01:46

Sure their are some success stories and I don't dispute that; however, these statistics are dreadful.  Some people lack the means or ability to get off these programs and some take pride in beating the system.

https://www.cnsnews.com/commentary/terence-p-jeffrey/521-percent-kids-live-ho...

In 2016, according to the most recent data from the Census Bureau, there were approximately 73,586,000 people under 18 in the United States, and 38,365,000 of them — or 52.1 percent — resided in households in which one or more persons received benefits from a means-tested government program.

These included the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (food stamps), Medicaid, public housing, Supplemental Security Income, the Special Supplemental Nutrition Program for Women, Infants and Children, Temporary Assistance for Needy Families and the National School Lunch Program.

Best regards,

IP Logged
T And T Garage
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 04/05/19 at 05:44:05

pg wrote on 04/05/19 at 03:01:46:
Sure their are some success stories and I don't dispute that; however, these statistics are dreadful.  Some people lack the means or ability to get off these programs and some take pride in beating the system.

https://www.cnsnews.com/commentary/terence-p-jeffrey/521-percent-kids-live-ho...

In 2016, according to the most recent data from the Census Bureau, there were approximately 73,586,000 people under 18 in the United States, and 38,365,000 of them — or 52.1 percent — resided in households in which one or more persons received benefits from a means-tested government program.

These included the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (food stamps), Medicaid, public housing, Supplemental Security Income, the Special Supplemental Nutrition Program for Women, Infants and Children, Temporary Assistance for Needy Families and the National School Lunch Program.

Best regards,

Yeah, that's way too many - why are so many living in poverty? (think of how many of those are elderly)

Why does that not alarm you?  You think it's their choice?

Keep listening to fox....

IP Logged
Eegore
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 04/05/19 at 09:01:14

"(think of how many of those are elderly)"

18.8 percent if you agree that 75 is the "elderly" age cutoff.

IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #9 - 04/05/19 at 09:20:58

Hey all, thanks for your replies/input.

Seems folks agree we have a issue, but seem to fixate on a certain cause and the ever utilized blame game.
If you read my original post, I give a example of the unattended effects of assigning programs to fix it.....
Of course these programs can attain some results that are positive, that is not the the gist of my post.
The problem of homelessness is growing at a very disturbing rate, not getting better, and I shared some possible thoughts, on why. And suggest we ALL need to be more involved in stemming its growth, by doing, not assigning a new program that has GOOD INTENTIONS, but ends up consuming too much of the resources that were designed to help the person(s) who need it.

You guys can continue on if you like, just seems to me folk will read into things according to their OWN needs, and I wanted to try ONE MORE time, to explain  Grin

Peace and TGIF all  Kiss  

IP Logged
Eegore
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 04/05/19 at 09:45:33

"The problem of homelessness is growing at a very disturbing rate, not getting better, and I shared some possible thoughts, on why"

I'd be interested in where you retrieved your information regarding homelessness and what rate quantifies "disturbing".

I ask since the overall average of homeless in the US has increased a small percentage for two years, while it has declined overall at higher percentages for the previous seven.  Homelessness is fluid and changes, such as housing cost increases outpacing wage earnings was a contributing factor in 2018 so family homelessness increased while veteran homelessness decreased.  Veterans receive lifetime government aid, so is it the additional free government income that increased Veteran homelessness to begin with, or government aid that reduced it?

Specifically how do we correlate ethnic populations to welfare priority incomes to localized homelessness?  The variables are outstanding, for instance 3,900 citizens were placed into homeless shelters, and many  maintained homelessness through 2018 due to wildfires and two major hurricanes.

IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #11 - 04/05/19 at 13:56:37

Thanks Eegore.......

You bring up some interesting perspectives.

Most of my fact finding would be centered on what I garner from first hand observation, as I travel through the city, and personal experiences of having to stop doing a outreach, to the homeless, because it became unsafe.

I read much about the issue at a deeper level through (mostly) the Seattle Times.
In fact, that was what prompted me to post ( but I can't find the story now...I looked quickly)
It was about a new project that the local business, and residents, are highly opposed to.
It cited numbers (loss revenue) that local businesses have suffered, etc.

As to my use of disturbing, I use it personally to what I view as a humanitarian failure, its why I use to do the outreach, to personally step up and help, if only to listen, and encourage......

Here is a article at the Seattle Times, maybe through this link, you can find more: https://www.city-journal.org/seattle-homelessness

BTW, I think measuring the homelessness, nationwide, is like measuring the ocean tide, in Oklahoma City......
The problem exist more, in bigger cities, gentler climes, etc.

Hope that helped  Smiley  

IP Logged
pg
Serious Thumper

In Transit
Reply #12 - 04/06/19 at 15:22:09

T And T Garage wrote on 04/05/19 at 05:44:05:

Yeah, that's way too many - why are so many living in poverty? (think of how many of those are elderly)

Did you read what I posted?  Some people lack the means or ability to get off these programs and some take pride in beating the system.  As to your inquiry about why are so many people living in poverty, that answer is not difficult to find.  America has been de-industrializing for decades and our monetary system is the supreme instrument of usury and totalitarianism.

Best regards,

IP Logged
pg
Serious Thumper

In Transit
Reply #13 - 04/06/19 at 15:32:58

More idenity politics and privileges extended to a low-life.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/former-rachel-dolezal-deal-avoid-felony-welfare-fr...

Best regards,

IP Logged
T And T Garage
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #14 - 04/07/19 at 06:36:15

pg wrote on 04/06/19 at 15:22:09:
T And T Garage wrote on 04/05/19 at 05:44:05:

Did you read what I posted?  Some people lack the means or ability to get off these programs and some take pride in beating the system.  

Do you have any data, first had experience to back that claim up?

As to your inquiry about why are so many people living in poverty, that answer is not difficult to find.  America has been de-industrializing for decades and our monetary system is the supreme instrument of usury and totalitarianism.

Ha!  Thank corporate america for that.  When profit comes first, off-shoring and manufacturing overseas (you know, like those maga hats) is a no brainer.

Best regards,

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/09/24 at 20:20:36

General CategoryPolitics, Religion (Tall Table) › HOMELESS IN SEATTLE

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.