Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 6
Send Topic Print
Cylinder Head Porting & Flow Test (Read 1121 times)
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Re: Cylinder Head Porting & Flow Test
Reply #15 - 04/04/19 at 00:41:48

Here we have the filled in Dipsy-Doodle along with the 1.5”  D-shaped outlet.  The filler material is JB Weld “High Heat” putty just for flow testing.  The putty is only rated to 450°F.  It won’t hold up in the real world.  I will have to find a better filler material.  Hopefully the “Extreme Heat” product works out.

D-Port_3_2.JPG

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #16 - 04/04/19 at 00:42:44

Here we see the filler blend at the exhaust guide boss.

Epoxy_Blend_2_2.JPG

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #17 - 04/04/19 at 00:43:27

Here is a detailed map of the finished exhaust port.

Modified_Exh_Port_04_01_19.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #18 - 04/04/19 at 00:44:24

I mentioned that the 1.3” pipe is not going to complement the enlarged port outlet.  You need a 1.5” ID or larger pipe to take advantage of the enlarged port.  When I tested the enlarged port with a 1.3” adapter, the flow didn’t improve much.  I was compelled to switch to a larger adapter.  That worked great.  This is the enlarged 1.5” ID adapter I used.

Exhaust_Adapter_1_5.JPG

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #19 - 04/04/19 at 00:45:15

I decided that it might be a good idea to do some tests to see how the stock exhaust pipe affected flow.  I started this whole project months ago with the intent of coming up with an insert to bridge the diverging/converging void between the 1.30” port outlet and the 1.27” pipe inlet.  This photo should give you an idea of what I am talking about.

Exh_Adapter_Std__2_2.JPG

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #20 - 04/04/19 at 00:46:00

The void is formed by the juncture of the diverging port bevel and the converging pipe inlet.  I’m sure you are familiar with the bevel.

Round_Port_1_3.JPG

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #21 - 04/04/19 at 00:46:46

And the pipe entry looks like this.

Mac_Header_8_2.JPG

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #22 - 04/04/19 at 00:47:34

The intent of the insert is to provides a flow path with a uniform cross section from the 1.3” port outlet to the actual 1.27” pipe inlet.  I came up with an insert and my tests show some good results.  When used with a stock head and a stock exhaust header pipe, the 1.3” insert increased flow by 4.2 %.  I will be doing a separate post with all the details on the insert.  Here is a look at what I came up with.

Special_Exh_Insert_1_3.JPG

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #23 - 04/04/19 at 00:48:35

I ran some tests on the heads with the stock header installed.

Head_Pipe_Tests.JPG

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #24 - 04/04/19 at 00:54:55

When the stock header was installed on the stock head, flow was reduced by 10%.  

When the stock header was installed on the ported HammerHead, flow fell by 27%.  

For these comparisons, I used 28” H2O test pressure.  

I don’t think it’s a good approach to run the 1.27” ID header on a souped up head.  It will probably work a little better than stock, but there are other ways to get that kind of power aside from porting the head.  Porting the head and slapping on the stock header pipe seems to defeat the purpose of the port work.  All that port work choked off by that teeny-weeny stock header.  My goodness!

I think this test came out well.  The flow improvements are substantial, and I think we can all benefit from the results.  I will keep you informed regarding my progress on the good head, along with the results of my epoxy and filler putty tests.  Of course, the special insert post is forthcoming.  I think it's a simple and cheap improvement.

As usual, I invite your comments.  What is your real-world experience with porting the Savage head?  Anybody out there got any concrete data (like a dyno run, or some technically reasonable performance measurement)?  If you performed similar port mods, did you have to make any significant adjustments to carburetion or ignition timing?  Any problems with detonation, fuel octane, etc.?  How’s the reliability?  How’s the clutch holding up?

Once again, I must thank Fast650 for his generous donation (the HammerHead).  It has been invaluable.  He also played an important role in evaluating my test data and keeping me on track.  This has been a very long and difficult project, but well worth the effort.

Knowledge is power.

Best regards, Mike

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
hotrod

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

NC
Reply #25 - 04/04/19 at 06:23:58

DBM: Thank you for all your work. I can't think of attempting any of this without first getting a 1.5" header pipe. Mac has a 2". Who sells a 1.5 ?   Thanks again.

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #26 - 04/04/19 at 12:21:41

Mike have you ever considered reducing the DD-2, that exists between point C & D ?

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #27 - 04/05/19 at 00:21:07

That is an excellent observation Batz.  You know, when you get an idea and you start plowing ahead with it, you lose sight of other possibilities for improvement.  I must admit that I didn't consider the second Dipsy-Doodle.  I should have tested that.

Seems to me if I fill that area in, I will have to widen the port outlet to compensate for the loss in cross section.  I will end up with an oval port.  That's certainly an option.  I have seen other oval exhaust ports that reportedly worked well.

Currently, I am set up for intake testing.  I have three new carburetors that I'm evaluating.  When I reconfigure for exhaust testing, I will apply some modelling clay to the second Dipsey-Doodle and see what shakes out.  Maybe there's some more flow there.

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WTF is JOG?
Reply #28 - 04/05/19 at 07:50:11

I'm not arguing with your results, but could there possibly be a reason for those dipsey-dos??  

Could those actually be a feature the enginers put in for some sort of scavaging or back pressure effect??  

I'm thinking along the lines of "if it were all about airflow then you could argue that we shouldn't run pipes at all".   I believe Suzuki's engineers are probably a pretty smart group and either put those there for a reason or were mad as hell they had to leave them there at all.

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #29 - 04/05/19 at 08:06:19

Mike ,I was thinking the loss in cross section might be the key to a bit better performance ,as it would not allow the gases to expand , and retain it's velocity all the way into the header pipe.   You did a fine job with DD1 , while increasing the size adds to performance, I think the largest gain was from the gases not able to expand at that point, when volume increases , velocity decreases, and pressure (dare I call it back pressure ?) increases ,killing flow.  Using filler to change the S shape to a gentle curve from the "shelf " to the header may see a further increase in performance. (not sure , but curious )

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 6
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/23/24 at 15:32:29

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Cylinder Head Porting & Flow Test

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.