YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Time for a reset...
03/29/19 at 08:23:54

Eegore wrote on 03/29/19 at 06:11:21:
 I think most of you say things on this forum you wouldn't say in person.

I estimate more than half of what is being said here recently is personal and insulting.
Maybe it's time for a reset.
Let's pretend we are all sitting in a cafe.
There are no small children nearby, but still, we don't want be seen as rude idiots.
And we don't want to be so insulting that we make one of our members get up and leave.
Besides,.. the waitress is kinda' cute.

Coffee is on Web by the way...  (he's on an expense account)...
Drink up,...

Peace,
Serow

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
WebsterMark
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Time for a reset...
Reply #1 - 03/29/19 at 09:03:37

Serowbot wrote on 03/29/19 at 08:23:54:
Eegore wrote on 03/29/19 at 06:11:21:
 I think most of you say things on this forum you wouldn't say in person.

I estimate more than half of what is being said here recently is personal and insulting.
Maybe it's time for a reset.
Let's pretend we are all sitting in a cafe.
There are no small children nearby, but still, we don't want be seen as rude idiots.
And we don't want to be so insulting that we make one of our members get up and leave.
Besides,.. the waitress is kinda' cute.

Coffee is on Web by the way...  (he's on an expense account)...
Drink up,...

Peace,
Serow

Okay, I'll play. Starting now, at 11.02 CST. Last post was pointing out what a pathetic loser TT is so that's a good one to end on.

PS: Starting now at 11:03 after that last sentence Grin.....

IP Logged
T And T Garage
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 03/29/19 at 09:07:52

WebsterMark wrote on 03/29/19 at 09:03:37:
Okay, I'll play. Starting now, at 11.02 CST. Last post was pointing out what a pathetic loser TT is so that's a good one to end on.

PS: Starting now at 11:03 after that last sentence Grin.....

Petty little boy - let's see how long this lasts.

IP Logged
T And T Garage
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 03/29/19 at 09:14:43

Sero - I concur.  But to be realistic, the only one who's adhered to this principle has been Eegore.

I've always given back what I get.  I'm not sure I can do it any other way.

If someone pushes me, I push back.

However, I'll be curious to see how this goes.

Full disclosure, I will not curb my tongue when it comes to criticism of our president and his maga(t)s.

IP Logged
Eegore
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 03/29/19 at 09:27:35

"However, I'll be curious to see how this goes."

You should already know.  You are not going to attempt change so the process on your end will continue and the only way anything will change is if somebody else does it, thus removing any cooperative measures.

"If someone pushes me, I push back."

This requires somebody else do the work of being respectful for you.

IP Logged
LostArtist
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 03/29/19 at 09:28:13

I'm pretty much done talking here as it's completely futile.  

I ask a question I end up spending 5 pages describing the question....  no actual discussion happens cause people want to be pedantic and pick every little possibility of every little thing  apart, Like Clinton asking "depends on what your definition of is is..."  

so, what's the sound of one hand clapping?

IP Logged
LostArtist
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 03/29/19 at 09:29:30

Eegore wrote on 03/29/19 at 09:27:35:

You should already know.  You are not going to attempt change so the process on your end will continue and the only way anything will change is if somebody else does it, thus removing any cooperative measures.

people aren't robots

IP Logged
Eegore
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 03/29/19 at 09:43:09

"people aren't robots "

I agree.

Also not being a robot doesn't change the assessment.  

I don't expect change because people here expect someone else to do it.  I don't need to be respectful, I need other people to be respectful to me.  That's what's happening here.

IP Logged
T And T Garage
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 03/29/19 at 09:44:46

Eegore wrote on 03/29/19 at 09:27:35:

Correction - to me, not for me.  In my experience, respect is earned, not given out freely.

Now, to be clear, since day one, you have always been respectful.  Even when we have disagreed on things, I've never talked down to you -  because you've never done that to me.  Please, correct me if I'm wrong.

Therefore, as I've said, I give what I get.  Sorry, that's just my personality.  Respect is a two way street in my town.

But to be honest, you do have a point from before in how this is not how any of us (except perhaps you) would interact with someone.  I've been in plenty of heated exchanges, face to face with others that oppose my viewpoints and instead of doing something I'd regret, I walk away or diffuse the situation with something like "...look, I'm not going to change your mind, and you're not going to change mine.  Let's get off this subject."

This is not exactly real life Eegore.  We (as in you and I) can have respectful discourse, but I honestly don't know if that will ever extend any farther.  I hope it does.  We'll see.

IP Logged
WebsterMark
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 03/29/19 at 09:57:45

All this requires is a Yes, I'm in or a No, I'm not.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #10 - 03/29/19 at 10:02:35

If you are willing,.. as a part of the effort, and as a reminder that we are at a cafe',...  
At the end of each post, or as often as you can remember, post a small comment that re-enforces the cafe surroundings.  
Particularly, any post in which you are tempted to offend or retaliate.

"This pie is delicious"
"Pass the sugar"
"My coffee is getting cold"
"Where's the waitress?"...

Seriously,..  we should behave as if we were face to face, and in public.
I haven't had a physical altercation since I was 20 or so...  
I doubt most of us have,.. or at least not often.
Things said in here are too provocative for the real world.
We are demeaning ourselves.

Peace,
Serow

IP Logged
Eegore
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #11 - 03/29/19 at 10:41:22

"Correction - to me, not for me.  In my experience, respect is earned, not given out freely."

In my experience respect is earned by giving it out freely.

I understand your position, I am just saying that having the parameter that I can become disrespectful once someone does it first means there is zero capacity for actual change.  In this case the forums deteriorate because anyone can just type an offensive sentence.  Should it be that easy?

That's literally a formula that gives the responsibility of prolonged change to everyone else but me.  People calling me names does nothing to me, as in my physical being and my capability to effect the world around me in a positive way.  

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #12 - 03/29/19 at 11:09:04

In some ways, we treat these forums as if they were video games, when we really shouldn't.
You can shoot somebody in a video game and they come back to life.
It is virtual.
...but the people here, although somewhat anonymous, are real, as are their opinions.
Insults are not the virtual bullets of a shoot'em up video game, they leave a mark.
They shouldn't but they do.
Be mindful...

Peace,
Serow

IP Logged
T And T Garage
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #13 - 03/29/19 at 11:12:51

Eegore wrote on 03/29/19 at 10:41:22:
"Correction - to me, not for me.  In my experience, respect is earned, not given out freely."

In my experience respect is earned by giving it out freely.

I understand your position, I am just saying that having the parameter that I can become disrespectful once someone does it first means there is zero capacity for actual change.  In this case the forums deteriorate because anyone can just type an offensive sentence.  Should it be that easy?

That's literally a formula that gives the responsibility of prolonged change to everyone else but me.  People calling me names does nothing to me, as in my physical being and my capability to effect the world around me in a positive way.  

I understand where you're coming from, completely.

But, sometimes there needs to be a little passion in the conversation.

Example:

On several occasions, I've been called a liar - for no other reason than the person doing the name-calling didn't like or believe me.  Unless you can prove that what I'm saying/inferring is a lie, there is no basis for the name-calling. (short of me saying something outrageous like "I can run 50 miles an hour").

Now, my response to that name-calling would probably be "prove it", perhaps with a little snark thrown in because I felt the name-caller was snarky to begin with.  I would speculate that your response would probably be - not to respond.  That's where we differ.

Let's keep it real here Eegore - at some point, the conversation will degenerate into something that it shouldn't.  Just like threads get hijacked - there will always be that one person who refuses to stay within the limits of good taste.  That's not altogether a bad thing.  Variety is the spice of life - when used in moderation.

But hey - Here's to a better Tall Table!  I'll try and do my part.

IP Logged
Eegore
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #14 - 03/29/19 at 11:35:39

"there will always be that one person who refuses to stay within the limits of good taste"

I think if the parameter of "I give what I get." is in play then there will always be two people who refuse to stay within the limit of good taste.

For every person with that parameter we can add one more to that number.  The only way to reduce the numbers is to respond respectfully without need of reciprocation.

It's not required, it's just how the math works out.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/09/24 at 08:13:00

General CategoryPolitics, Religion (Tall Table) › Time for a reset...

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.