Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Popped clutch - lost power (Read 203 times)
Eegore
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Popped clutch - lost power
Reply #15 - 03/29/19 at 12:26:10

"Doing that is 100% stupid.
The bikes action is 100% normal.
That's why it Has a clutch.
"

I am aware of why it has a clutch, I was simply answering your question.

As indicated above, the turn signal issue was resolved, the clutch safety has not been.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #16 - 03/29/19 at 12:27:49

Nowhere in my question did I suggest you not use the clutch.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Eegore
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #17 - 03/29/19 at 12:35:22

"Nowhere in my question did I suggest you not use the clutch."

That is correct, nowhere in my answer did I indicate you recommended, stated, requested, or otherwise attempted to have my bike started without the clutch.

To clarify:

The process utilized below is an attempt to answer a question and also provide supplemental information about the starting of a 1995 from neutral.  The process in no way reflects a complete adherence to requests made by forum members.

Method one:  Compressed clutch with the bike in neutral results in the bike moving forward when put into first gear while simultaneously adding throttle.  This method does not reflect the requests or opinions of forum members.

Method two:  Released clutch with the bike in neutral results in, with excessive compression on the shift lever, the bike being put into first gear and then moving forward while simultaneously adding throttle.  This method does not reflect the requests or opinions of forum members.

Method three:  Released clutch with the bike in neutral results in, with excessive compression on the shift lever, the bike being put into first gear and then it lurching forward and stopping with the engine halting completely.  This method does not reflect the requests or opinions of forum members.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #18 - 03/29/19 at 16:48:13

Wow..

Pull clutch lever in
For this weird moment
Use neutral
Start bike
Put in gear

Does it try to walk away?
If so, how much slack in the cable?
If not,
Why are we having this discussion?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Eegore
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #19 - 03/29/19 at 17:14:14

"If not,
Why are we having this discussion?
"

I was answering your question(s) with no intent of attempting to indicate I was using a method you described.

I originally asked if there was some component I was missing when I had the bike lurch forward upon pressing the ignition switch, and losing power.  Loss of power seemed odd and was wondering if I was unaware of some way to electrically damage the bike by starting it in gear.

Upon documenting the responses and proceeding through the examination(s) of the bike and enough tests to remove chance as a factor and reliably replicate a portion of the original problem (clutch released ignition and lurching) I came to the conclusion that somewhere a connection was compromised, and fixed, while my clutch safety remained inoperable.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #20 - 03/29/19 at 18:20:11

came to the conclusion that somewhere a connection was compromised, and fixed, while my clutch safety remained inoperable.

That's exactly what I concluded.

IP Logged
Eegore
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #21 - 03/29/19 at 20:12:35

I understand that.  I was just answering your questions without intent of indicating the methods used were suggested by you, or anyone else.

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #22 - 03/30/19 at 14:02:50

Bottom line ,the bike acted normal( though the clutch switch is bypassed), except for the lights, when the key was in the park position,  only the tail light (running filament ) should have been on ,  the fact that signals were lit shows an electrical fault .
   Expecting the battery/starter motor, to power the motor and propel the weight of the bike forward, is 100% silly.
   Stomping on the shift lever to get the bike in 1st gear can bend the rod on the shift linkage and is equally silly.
    The clutch lever needs to be held in whenever starting in gear whether the safety switch is present or bypassed.
   The answer to the original question, will trying to start the bike in this manor cause an electrical problem ? The short answer is no. The problem was already present, or may have occurred when the bike lurched forward.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
Eegore
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #23 - 04/02/19 at 19:31:25

"Expecting the battery/starter motor, to power the motor and propel the weight of the bike forward, is 100% silly.
Stomping on the shift lever to get the bike in 1st gear can bend the rod on the shift linkage and is equally silly."

I understand this but given the fact that there are four methods that can be utilized to see if a bike can be started when asked: "If started in neutral, then dropped into gear, what happens?" to me it would be equally silly, given the opportunity, to not examine all methods thus allowing me to have answers for all known methods.  This of course is not an attempt to indicate any forum member stated or suggested that these methods be attempted.

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #24 - 04/02/19 at 22:06:51

A silly question , you already experienced what happens.(nothing good).

« Last Edit: 04/03/19 at 13:53:47 by batman »  

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #25 - 04/03/19 at 09:05:28

"If started in neutral, then dropped into gear, what happens?

I had no idea that I needed to include

Use the clutch...
That's why it's THERE.
Who doesn't know that if you shove a standard in gear , Ohhh, I'll include, from a standstill, because somebody might not understand what I'm saying,
It's gonna jump and die?
Okay, now, not EVERY vehicle with a standard transmission will die if you ram it into gear at a standstill, but it's gonna jump, jerk, lurch and cause wear on critical parts, so
It's not recommended behavior.
So, I'll say this one time
I expect people to read what I say and do it
Only in the common, recommended manner.

I am now concerned about asking you anything about a gun , without also including
Don't point it at yourself or anyone or anything you don't want to see a bullet in.

If started in neutral, then dropped into gear, what happens?

Not a silly question, based on the wording of the question.
A ridiculous choice of action based on the question..

IP Logged
Eegore
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #26 - 04/03/19 at 16:23:14

"I had no idea that I needed to include"

You didn't need to, I've stated this already.  I have attempted to explain in multiple posts that I did not think you stated, inferred, described, mentioned, theorized, insinuated or in any way recommended any specific method to be used for starting a motorcycle.

The percentage of recommendation you gave for starting a motorcycle is 0%.  Zero.  You made no recommendation and as such did not need to include any statements about utilizing a clutch.  

I don't know how to make that more clear.

That being said, again, given the opportunity I will try all methods because I like to do that type of stuff.

"Not a silly question, based on the wording of the question."

It is not, I already agreed with you.  Again, I understood what you meant, I didn't think you were in any way, describing any particular method be used.

I just did what I did because I wanted to.  Not because any person stated it should be done.

The percentage of methods used was 100% my desire to do them.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #27 - 04/03/19 at 16:34:57

Well ,Ooookay then...
I'm gonna say we got that all ironed out.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #28 - 04/03/19 at 17:48:52

somebody should make a video of what we need to know.

Grin

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/04/24 at 00:25:56

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Popped clutch - lost power

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.