jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Linux and an illiterate
03/17/19 at 15:15:28

This has been started so as not to hijack other computer related threads
This morning I had another power cut, but Linux worked ok, came back to the computer a couple of hours later, fired up Linux, no internet. Switched back to Win 7 and could see the internet working on my modem, didn't actually go into windows, immediately shut down windows and back on to Linux, internet was fine? Do the literate or tech savvy,have any thoughts on this?

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: Linux and an illiterate
Reply #1 - 03/17/19 at 16:59:32

Ever watch "IT Crowd"?...  
"Have you tried turning it off and on again?"

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #2 - 03/17/19 at 18:57:08

You are having start up glitches after a hard power out event.  

It is not unusual for different elements of your system to require a restart AFTER the power comes back up and gets stable.   These items crank themselves back up in sequence, taking different amounts of time.  Specifically, your main CPU systems, one of which is in your computer and the other of which is inside your internet router.   (Yep, there is a small headless computer inside your router.)

It does not really matter which one is the culprit, the same power strip switch reboots the both of them.

You now know you need a reboot after a power out event (changing the operating systems from one to the other is actually done by a system softboot, btw, which is why switching OS was "fixing it").  You can try to just shut down just the one and reboot just the one to see which one fixes things (allowing you to narrow down your source of the required reboots).

Based on my system, I tend to go to the Router side for the quirky reboot "internet don't work right" issues, but as I said, the same switch on the same main power strip controls both items so it is all sorta moot for me now as far as my equipment goes.  

For me, the Router / Internet Service is known to take longer to crank back up, why that is I do not know.   Lingering problems require me to boot just the router multiple times, sometimes more than once to fix a given issue.   I have been told that by a ISP repairman that made a service call one time a year ago when it was particularly stubborn that the neighborhood ISP switch (one really bulky box per neighborhood) sometimes needs to be manually reset after a full power outage before you can get a successful internet connection, and that is a third variable you didn't know about.   He left and came back after 20 minutes spent rebooting the neighborhood switch and all was good.

Now I just call the number for the ISP service and tell them the neighborhood switch requires resetting and they can check that remotely while you wait on the phone.   Sometimes it is off line, sometimes it isn't, occasionally they have to send in a repairman to "check it all out".

« Last Edit: 03/18/19 at 07:51:50 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #3 - 08/25/19 at 14:07:16

I'm quite glad I'm using Linux, no problems with internet banking so far.

Bank_thing.jpg

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #4 - 08/25/19 at 14:31:31

You are having start up glitches after a hard power out event.  

It is not unusual for different elements of your system to require a restart AFTER the power comes back up and gets stable.   These items crank themselves back up in sequence, taking different amounts of time.

Hmmm BOY!
I know that's true.
There's stuff I rely on that ain't
Come back on line Yet
After that
Hard power outage I suffered ..

I'm gonna rent
Flatliners and see if I can figure out a way to reboot.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
03/28/24 at 07:21:33

General CategoryThe Cafe › Linux and an illiterate

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.