Send Topic Print
Lancer-JetSet (Read 124 times)
dcaplinger2
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Lancer-JetSet
03/17/19 at 14:18:45

I'm new to the forum, I have a 2002 Suzuki Savage and a 2008 Suzuki S40. Really glad I found this forum it has been really helpful I used SavageWahine guide to rebuild the carb!

I am having some serious problems on the 2002 with the carb I can get it started but flames shoot out of the exhaust, the airbox fills with gas and will not idle, Over this past weekend I rebuilt the carb ordered it from a local shop owner was supposed to be a stock rebuild kit.
It has a shorty exhaust on it so basically open headers and the stock air filter. I am willing to change to a pod style if need be but definitely need to buy the jet set from Lancer. This is the only way I knew how to get in touch with him as I am not able to send personal messages or emails yet.

I have rebuilt many carbs but have only rebuilt them to stock I have never had to rejet anything, I can do the labor but I am not sure what size to use, any thoughts would be appreciated.   Smiley

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Lancer-JetSet
Reply #1 - 03/17/19 at 16:06:09

What have you done with the stock vacuum operated petcock?

When the diaphragm goes bad, it can allow fuel to flow through the vacuum line right into the intake port (and air box).

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 03/17/19 at 19:44:35

And crankcase, and the oil...
Snotta good thing

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WTF is JOG?
Reply #3 - 03/18/19 at 10:19:48

dcaplinger2 wrote on 03/17/19 at 14:18:45:
I am having some serious problems on the 2002 with the carb I can get it started but flames shoot out of the exhaust, the airbox fills with gas and will not idle,
-------------------------------

FIRST. If you airbox is filled with gas, then your crankcase probably is too.  DO NOT run the bike with a crankcase full of gas!  You need to resolve the flooding issue and change the oil before you run the bike. That's what JOG meant when he said it's not a good thing.

Next, the issue is either what Dave said or the float needle isn't seating and your bike is flooded.  The needle could be worn or it might be stuck.  Sometimes tapping the carb with a screwdriver handle will resolve the issue.  If that doesn't work, you'll have to remove the float and clean/replace the needle.

IP Logged
dcaplinger2
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 03/20/19 at 11:23:06

Thanks for the reply’s!

The petcock is the raptor and have the vacuum hose capped off. I also checked the float and seat if it holds under pressure and it does. The bike seems to run ok when it is cold(first starting up) but once the motor gets up to temp it dies and will not start back up. I was thinking I have the wrong size jets for the shorty exhaust I have which has no baffles.

I will tear down the carb and find what size the jets in it are.  

IP Logged
dcaplinger2
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 03/20/19 at 11:25:18

I think I have figured out the issue of the flooding the air/fuel screw was all the way closed I backed it out a few turns and have not gotten any gas in the air box (yet?).

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #6 - 03/20/19 at 14:41:26

dcaplinger2 wrote on 03/20/19 at 11:25:18:
I think I have figured out the issue of the flooding the air/fuel screw was all the way closed I backed it out a few turns and have not gotten any gas in the air box (yet?).

Well the position of the idle fuel mixture screw may have an affect on how the bike runs - but it won't have any affect on getting fuel in the air box.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
dcaplinger2
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 03/20/19 at 18:07:22

From what I have read there are only two reasons for fual in the air box which is:
bad petcock
Float  that is sticking. Is that correct?

I have the raptor petcock and have tested the float for holes and have done a pressure test. I am not sure what other tests I can do to track down this problem.

My logic behind assuming the fuel was coming from the  air/fuel being all the way closed was with no air going in all of the fuel that was being dumped in was not able to burn effectively so the carb was dumping what couldn’t be burned out of the exhaust. I take it my assuming was wrong!!

I am not sure what the next step I should go whether buying a new exhaust going to the pod style filter. Any other suggestions or maybe point me in the right direction.

IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WTF is JOG?
Reply #8 - 03/21/19 at 08:12:12

Since you have a raptor, the only reason it would pour fuel into airbox is the float needle is not seating or the float level is set too high.  (Unless someone really, really, really screwed up the jetting...see below.)

I wouldn't make any changes (other than possibly adding a proper exhaust) until you get the current issues sorted out.

Is this bike new to you?  Was it ever running properly?  If so what changed?

Did you take the jets out of the top of the carb located under the diaphragm?  It's possible you accidentally installed them in the bottom when you "rebuilt" the carb.

IP Logged
dcaplinger2
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 03/25/19 at 21:02:48

Ohiomoto the Savage is my grandfathers he just purchased it so this bike is new although I have a 2008. The bike never did run right which I am surprised it ever did considering the main jet was a 230. The rebuild kit I bought came with a 130 which was to lean.

I got a new exhaust slash cut off a dyna, came with two so I used one for my 2008 and the other for his. Mine is running perfect right now so I am going to throw on my carb this weekend and make sure all is well. I drained/changed the oil. Checked every suggestion I have seen except for a compression test which I plan on doing before I even take my carb off.
I am fairly certain this I just need to her this carb correctly. So I know I need to order a set of jets from lancer. How can I go about this since I am not able to email yet? Just keep posting u til I have reached ten?Smiley

IP Logged
dcaplinger2
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 03/25/19 at 21:06:16

I did take all the jets out but placed them on a piece of cardboard so I could remember as well as went through the guide. It is possible I installed them on the bottom instead I will check. Just to be clear the jet at the top of the carb will fit in the jet on bottom?

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #11 - 03/26/19 at 12:10:07

the large air jet(from the top) can be swapped to the main jet ,for sure, and would cause the carb to run extremely rich,as it is much larger than the proper main jet.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WTF is JOG?
Reply #12 - 03/28/19 at 19:49:09

Yep, the 230 is probably the air jet from the top of the carb.  The proper main is probably up there. The pilot jet may have been swapped too.  That explains why it's running rich... someone f'ed up somewhere along the line.

« Last Edit: 03/31/19 at 09:25:24 by ohiomoto »  
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #13 - 03/28/19 at 22:14:40

We've seen a lot  of these rebuild kits ,bought  on line with the wrong size jets ,everything else in the kits work ,but the jets may have been for the LS-400 /Tempter 400 .    stock jets for the LS650 are 145main, 52.5 pilot.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
03/28/24 at 17:35:47

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Lancer-JetSet

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.