Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Tune up
Reply #15 - 03/18/19 at 09:48:00

What you are looking for in the tensioner....is how far out the plunger is.

Before being modified, the limit is 20mm extension as the plunger is close to coming out.

With the Verslagen tensioner....you are looking to see if there is any travel left where the roll pin travels in the milled slot.  If the travel is almost used up and you have already moved the bolt to the second hole....you are almost at the limit and a new cam chain and guides are in your future.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #16 - 03/18/19 at 10:48:06

springman wrote on 03/18/19 at 09:39:23:
The bike for the most part looks pretty clean now, but the engine even after using a full can of brake cleaner and a tooth brush, still looks somewhat dirty to me. I think I will get another can of brake cleaner and a larger stiffer bristle brush and try again. In the meantime, I ride when I can. Cool

I wouldn't use brake cleaner except for the most stubborn areas, such as the area next to the spark plug that can bake on grease.  Otherwise the cheapo degreaser from wally world works fine.

WWW   IP Logged
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #17 - 03/18/19 at 12:10:43

Dave, now that you indicated what to look for, I almost wish I would not have asked. I suspect changing the chain and guides is not a half hour job.

Thanks for the tip Versy. I guess with a good brush the other cleaner should be sufficient.

06 S40 seat mod, airhawk, HD muffler, Shinko 712 140-90-15 rear tire, Shinko 230 front tire, versy cam chain tensioner, Rotella oil, Volar brake pads, EBC clutch & springs
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #18 - 03/18/19 at 12:55:04

Springman:

Just think of the possibilities!

If you need a new cam chain and guides...might was well install a performance cam! Wink

IP Logged
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #19 - 03/18/19 at 15:02:35

I must admit, I got a good chuckle out of that Dave.

06 S40 seat mod, airhawk, HD muffler, Shinko 712 140-90-15 rear tire, Shinko 230 front tire, versy cam chain tensioner, Rotella oil, Volar brake pads, EBC clutch & springs
  IP Logged
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #20 - 03/21/19 at 16:22:24

Looks like I am not through ordering parts. I am getting a bit of clutch slip under hard acceleration. I always run Rotella so I suspect I need the clutch push rod.

The other item is that my rear brake is squealing. Is it possible I have worn out the rear pads? Not really looking forward to checking that as no matter how careful I am, properly aligning the rear wheel to the belt is always a multi attempt pain in the rear.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #21 - 03/21/19 at 19:06:41

springman wrote on 03/21/19 at 16:22:24:
Looks like I am not through ordering parts. I am getting a bit of clutch slip under hard acceleration. I always run Rotella so I suspect I need the clutch push rod.

Make sure you have slack in the lever on the bars.

Try to lift the lever on the engine.
If you can't get any free travel before it hits the throwout, it's on the rod.

The other item is that my rear brake is squealing. Is it possible I have worn out the rear pads? Not really looking forward to checking that as no matter how careful I am, properly aligning the rear wheel to the belt is always a multi attempt pain in the rear.

Not worn out. Clean it up when it's time for a tire.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #22 - 03/22/19 at 04:43:35

Your squeally rear brake is most likely just rust and dirt.

Take it apart and clean out all the crap, light scuff the pads until the shine is gone, lightly scuff the steel drum until the rust is gone.   Clean everything with brake cleaner.  While it is apart make sure the lever moves freely....lube the pivot.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #23 - 03/22/19 at 07:36:31

I cut the lead part of the shoe at a 45° so that dust is swept to the open end of the hub.  And with a sharp step instead of a taper which allows the dust between the shoe and drum.  Dust is the enemy and causes squealing.

WWW   IP Logged
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #24 - 03/22/19 at 08:05:12

Thanks I appreciate all the input regarding the brakes, but I think it is fixed cause I did no hear them squeal one bit this morning. Those ear plugs are great! Grin OK, next tire change clean it all out with break cleaner. Thanks.

JOG, thanks for the suggestion on the clutch adjustment. Versy knows I am not very good at adjusting the clutch as he adjusted it for me once. I will look at it in the morning and try what you suggested.

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #25 - 03/26/19 at 08:43:28

SpringMan

My bike is coming up on 50,000 miles and had a clutch-slipping issue that I couldn't adjust out or fix with different rod lengths .   So , I got new fiber plates and springs .   the problem didn't go away with the new plates ... they were only slightly thicker than the old ones ???  Undecided ...

After measuring the space inside the clutch basket with NO plates in it , then measuring the plates with No basket ... I found the problem.    

The clutch basket has an Aluminum plate for the (bottom)  next to the motor.   The clutch has steel plates in-between the fiber plates.

The aluminum backing plate is the weak link that wears in the whole thing.   Adding an extra steel plate to make a thicker  group of plates solved the problem .

Now , the clutch has enough material inside the basket to pinch-a-grip on !    
But
The basket is now .060"  thicker  (extra steel plate)  ... minus the amount the aluminum back wore-off.   So , you'll need a push rod about .040" shorter , but try if before ya go cutting the push rod.
I've had my clutch cover off 10 times or more, trying different stuff.    That's how I came to use form-a-gasket so much ... I got tired of buying/making gaskets !    Grin

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion , we may never know
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #26 - 03/26/19 at 19:45:11

That is really interesting MM. I am waiting on a few parts to arrive and have forgotten to order the push rods. I actually installed new clutch fiber plates and new springs about 15K miles ago because the clutch was slipping badly (probably from incorrect oil). I have played with the adjustment a bit over the last few days but I am not sure I have it right yet. I'll continue to play with it and see if I can get it right. If I can't I may need to look for a steel clutch plate and try you fix.

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #27 - 03/27/19 at 22:14:11

That push rod ...

go to the hardware store and buy a 1/4" steel rod .    they come in 1' , 3' , 4'  lengths ... if ya have a hack-saw and a file you can have any length push rod ya want .    

ya might polish it with a piece of sandpaper  and a  drill to make it pretty ?   Wink

The drill and file will help ya round the ends in a nice way too !  Smiley

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion , we may never know
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #28 - 03/27/19 at 22:36:19

Springman,

The push rod has to be VERY TOUGH and VERY HARD.  Drill rod isn't going to last but a month or so before it is worn away and gone.  Dowel pin steel isn't good enough to last but like a half a year.

I use M2 tool steel (round lathe bits) for my push rods, which does last for years and years.   The wear is all transferred to the sintered powder metal parts that the pushrod actuates against.  This lesser wear still happens though, changing the engagement point accordingly.

As MM mentions, your aluminum plate and your pushrods are the major wear points that cause your clutch pack to get whacky.  Plate wear is actually a minor wear amount in the total stack of the clutch system.

It is NOT generally plate wear that causes clutch packs to get replaced -- contamination with friction modifiers is the main cause of clutch failures to my experience.   Rotella T synthetic has moly oil in it now, so far Dino Rotella does not have any moly oil in it.
(I need to go look again as this stuff likes to change while you are not watching).
NOTE INSERTED BY DAVE: The new T6 in the blue bottle is fine....don't use the old T6 in the white bottle.

I collect worn clutches (steels and friction plates) from folks that consider them totally shot ......   However, while recognizing that Clymers lists the plate thicknesses ass-backwards in the book, NONE of the plates I have measured has yet ever been worn out of spec.

I await enough wear in my original pack to put in an extra steel and an extra friction plate into a "very well worn" clutch pack, but suspect I will not live long enough to see that happen.

« Last Edit: 03/28/19 at 06:33:12 by Dave »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #29 - 03/28/19 at 05:57:36

Rotella T synthetic has moly oil in it now,

Ohhh, say it ain't so..
I JUST  put T6 in mine..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/19/24 at 22:14:33

General CategoryThe Cafe › Tune up

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.