Tune up (Read 242 times)
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Tune up
03/14/19 at 12:42:49

Hey ya'll. I'll be at 31,000 miles on the bike shortly. I'm thinking of doing a tune up and valve adjustment soon. Any recommendations or anything I should be on the lookout for? Thanks.

06 S40 seat mod, airhawk, HD muffler, Shinko 712 140-90-15 rear tire, Shinko 230 front tire, versy cam chain tensioner, Rotella oil, Volar brake pads, EBC clutch & springs
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Tune up
Reply #1 - 03/14/19 at 13:06:52

dirt around the sparkplug.

WWW   IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #2 - 03/14/19 at 20:12:20

By this he means "Be very wary of any dirt you find in the spark plug recess area --- clean it up with solvent and water pressure several times until NO GRIT REMAINS to go down the open spark plug hole and drastically shorten your engine life ......"

My clean up routine is Brake Parts Cleaner and a brush scrub applied twice to cut the baked on crap, then while it is still wet and sloppy with Brake Parts cleaner apply Engine Degreaser over the solvent then scrub with a stiff bristle brush again, then blow it clean with a high pressure stream of water, then blow the water out with air ---- then let it dry good.

I want that hole area CLEAN and DRY before opening it up .....

Do not crank the engine with the hole open as it creates a cyclonic suck action that can bring grit from far away and suck it right down into the engine.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #3 - 03/15/19 at 02:12:14

You will check the valve clearance  before you loosen  the set nut  ?   There could be no adjustment needed  .   Wink

Are ya going to put one of those "low-engery sucking "  iridium spark plugs in it ?   I'm under the impression they are less demanding on you spark system ????  Huh   lower amperage draw ?

While ya got the fuel tank off , ya might as well check the Head bolts .   If ya got a tork wrench .

it might be good to check the tightness of everything under there !  Roll Eyes
But be extra gentle on them little ones !
An "inch-pound" wrench is better  (harbor freight 1/4" )  <$15.oo minus 20% !  Grin

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion ,that we may never know
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #4 - 03/15/19 at 04:11:56

If you decide to "check" the torque on the head studs......it is not as simple as just pulling on them.....and it requires you to remove the head cap and redo all the sealer (unless you have an oil leak I wouldn't think you would want to do all this work).

The right front and left rear stud are exposed to the elements and corrode tight.......they will not move at the recommended torque setting.  If you want to check them you need to remove them, clean up the threads, apply anti-sieze to the threads, then torque them.

The left front and right rear studs can weep oil.....so I apply a small amount of sealer to both sides of the copper washer when assembling (or retorqueing) these studs.

The short studs under the intake and exhaust valve can weep oil as well, and they can benefit from the use of sealer on the bottom of the flange nut and the threads. (These nuts have a smooth flange and should not have any washer under them).

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WTF is JOG?
Reply #5 - 03/15/19 at 07:10:54

You've gotten 31k out of so far so don't fix what's not broke.  Like MMRanch stated, check your valves and cam chain wear, etc, but don't go doing crap that doesn't need to be done.  These are simple motors with simple needs.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #6 - 03/15/19 at 12:09:04

I'd put a socket on the upper engine mount bolts and make sure they are not in the process of loosening up. It's truly maddening having that vibration slowly get worse until you are no longer wondering if you're experiencing a vibration until it's Frikken obvious..
Then you can pop the tank off
Uhgain..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #7 - 03/15/19 at 14:09:50

Agreed , check the cam chain , adjust the valves , maybe a new spark plug , clean or replace air filter , fuel filter if you run one , oil & filter
Call that a done tune up !
Get that tune up behind you and go ride Springer.
Bad weather is almost gone , time to renew the mind & soul.
There is only one cure for our sickness , RIDE  Grin

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #8 - 03/15/19 at 14:32:23

Thanks to all. I guess a good engine cleaning is in order before getting started with anything. I will check the valve clearance before loosening the bolts, as the valves could be just fine. I've always read that the original copper spark plugs are actually the best for the ignition, just that they do not last as long as the newer fancy metal plugs. If I am wrong about the spark plugs please let me know.

I am dealing with some sort of oil leak, enough that after a 30 mile high speed ride my key is a bit slippery. Bear in mind that most of the riding in the Houston area is at 70 mph or above. If I decide to go through the trouble of pulling the head cap to loosen and re-torque the bolts, is there any gasket I need to replace?

I had not thought about the engine mount bolts at all. Thanks.

I had not thought about checking the cam chain and really not sure how to do it or what to look for. I put the Versy tensioner on just in the nick of time somewhere around 15 or 16K miles. Everything seemed fine at that time. Is there another way to check the cam chain or only by opening up the crank case?

06 S40 seat mod, airhawk, HD muffler, Shinko 712 140-90-15 rear tire, Shinko 230 front tire, versy cam chain tensioner, Rotella oil, Volar brake pads, EBC clutch & springs
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #9 - 03/15/19 at 18:14:21

Springman, If the chain was in need of a Vercy tensioner  at 15-16 ,000 miles,  I'd be checking it at 31,000 .

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #10 - 03/15/19 at 22:18:55

Springman ,

That Ultra Gray gasket maker is better than the side cover gasket , and it is the only thing to use on the top cover.

on the side cover apply a solid coat to both sides , wait 15 minutes , then when you easy the side cover on ... just go a loose finger tight at first ... after about 15 minutes additional drying time finish torquing it up.   it will all squeeze out too much if ya don't wait.    Doin't forget three of the side cover bolts have that special washer - but ultra gray works on then too.

Up on the head cover , if ya don't squeeze out the excess then the cam bearing might have some extra slop !

There is some gasket maker the bike shops use but its only Ultra Gray in a fancy package with a triple price on it !  Wink

well , thats what been working for me with no leaks so far.  Smiley

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion ,that we may never know
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #11 - 03/15/19 at 22:42:21

Draw outline of cover on cardboard
Poke slot at each bolt location
Poke each bolt in cardboard
Assembly is not a puzzle

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #12 - 03/16/19 at 04:31:43

MM and I don't agree on the side cover....I use the factory gasket.

I use gaskets where the factory used them.....and sealer where the factory used it.  I use the Suzubond on the black engines....and Hondabond or 3Bond on the silver engines as the gray color blends in better than black.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #13 - 03/16/19 at 18:17:51

NO leaks !   but Suzuki does like to sell gaskets ?   Wink

Some folks might get too much on and make a mess of things , so the gasket is a fool-proof way to keep things neat .  

I'll have to say :  Your bike draws a lot of lookers everywhere we stop !    Smiley

« Last Edit: 03/16/19 at 21:42:53 by MMRanch »  

springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #14 - 03/18/19 at 09:39:23

Thanks again for the input. I will probably just order a gasket on ebay so I can check the chain and tensioner. Just one question here though, other than just something terribly obvious, what am I looking for? If I recall correctly I installed the versy tensioner on the second (farthest hole) when I first got it.

The weekends have been just too nice lately to do any real wrenching or to nasty to want to do any wrenching so over the last few weekends I have changed the oil and filter, added zddp, installed new air filter and washed the bike and motor. The bike for the most part looks pretty clean now, but the engine even after using a full can of brake cleaner and a tooth brush, still looks somewhat dirty to me. I think I will get another can of brake cleaner and a larger stiffer bristle brush and try again. In the meantime, I ride when I can. Cool

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
03/28/24 at 23:48:14

General CategoryThe Cafe › Tune up

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.