Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
A Nation of Felicity Huffmans (Read 27 times)
WebsterMark
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

A Nation of Felicity Huffmans
03/14/19 at 05:28:10

https://www.nationalreview.com/2019/03/felicity-huffman-american-diploma-wors...

I love this article. As someone who did not finish college and occasionally faced sneers from the uppity graduates of well known schools, I can't wait for the prestigious university bubble to burst. (much like the demise of liberal large city newspapers)   I hated school. My Jr and Sr year in high school, I worked half a day and went to school half a day in some program called 'distributive education'. I attended five different colleges and got a grand total of maybe 40 hours. The only thing I learned in college is how to type. Seriously, I took a typing class and that's all I remember.

I got a promotion this year and am slowly moving into another position with my company. We're looking for my replacement. Saw a resume yesterday from a guy who got his personal pilot's license at a young age, ran his own business for a while, was in the army 6 years,  etc.....  but no degree. I picked him to interview. That sounds like a guy who can figure out a way to get from Point A to Point B one way or the other.  People who succeed without a piece of paper equivalent to what the Tin Man got are worth a look.

IP Logged
T And T Garage
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: A Nation of Felicity Huffmans
Reply #1 - 03/14/19 at 06:12:00

Interesting article.  A little "sour grapes", but still, I get it. However, I find it funny the author doesn't see his own hypocrisy.  Does he really think he'd have gotten the job he did, where he did, had he just gone to a community college?  Let's be real - he went to Yale and that, like it or not, opens doors.  

I loved school.  I personally got a lot out of it.  My interest lied in technology, and without my teachers, there's no way I would have learned as much as I did on my own.  True, there's only so much you can learn in a classroom, but if you don't have the basics, then you can't build on it.

No, college isn't for everyone, but that's not to say there's no value in it.  Too many are quick to judge the entire system by something like this one scandal.  That's shortsighted to say the least.  Is the system broken?  Pretty much.  But not all schools are corrupt.  

Don't get me wrong, I'm far from saying that college is the only way to go.
I'm all for vocational schools and there is currently a shortage of skilled laborers in the US.  It's guys like Mike Rowe that are finally getting some airtime to push the idea that not everyone needs a college degree.  For the record, he's not saying "don't go to college", but if you have an interest outside a four year degree, then by all means don't waste your time and money in college.

One thing that bugs me is that the article calls attention to "schlump" teachers.  Not all teachers are that way - that's a stereotype the the author got from movies like Animal House.  I don't remember any teacher I had being a "schlump".  As I remember it, they all wanted to teach.  They actually enjoyed teaching.  I currently have several neighbors/friends that are teachers.  They're far from schlubs.  They're some of the nicest, most dedicated, most giving people I know.

The problems of the world aren't coming from academia.  We don't live in a "Nation of Felicity Huffman's".  People like her are the exception, not the norm.  People shouldn't be so lazy as to point to this one scandal and think that this is typical.

Keep it real.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: A Nation of Felicity Huffmans
Reply #2 - 03/14/19 at 14:06:17

Are these schlump students?
Their parents bought their way in, do they care about their education?
I known at least one doesn't.

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
03/28/24 at 19:05:17

General CategoryPolitics, Religion (Tall Table) › A Nation of Felicity Huffmans

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.