Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Bright Future....the end of cold and dark! (Read 84 times)
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Bright Future....the end of cold and dark!
03/12/19 at 08:15:13

It appears spring is coming to KY at long last.  Mid 60's the next 2 days, and a much drier forecast for the rest of March!

It appears the coming weeks will allow me to take some short afternoon rides!

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Re: Bright Future....the end of cold and dark!
Reply #1 - 03/13/19 at 09:01:06

Yes, I too sense that spring is nigh. Time to get the batteries charged on my bikes. I also have to rethink how my license plate is attached to the cafe racer. The plate has made contact with the rear tire too many times.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #2 - 03/13/19 at 09:32:44

I was able to ride my new bike up to the County Clerk's office yesterday and get it licensed.  It was 50 degrees, no wind and sunny - I didn't go far but it was fun to be back on the bike.

And....the snow tires will come off the car this afternoon. Smiley

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #3 - 03/13/19 at 15:53:28

Great Afternoon! Smiley

It is now 6:50 PM and 71 degrees!

I got my summer tires on the car around 2 PM.

I got the Savage Cafe' bike out and fired it up for the first time this year.  When I hit the starter the 5 year old EarthX Li-Ion battery fired the bike up in the first or second time the engine turned over - you never would have guessed that it had been sleeping for 5 months.  I went for a 40 minute ride on my new Pilot Sport Activ tires....they are round and balanced and feel really good.

I just arrived at work for a meeting.....I rode the new BMW F800GT!  I may have to run the heated grips on the way home - but it is only 9 miles so I can't get too cold.

Life is good! Smiley

IP Logged
zipidachimp
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

surrey, b.c.
Reply #4 - 03/13/19 at 23:19:51

Isn't retirement great?
ps; what website is that weather calendar? looks nicer than the weather network. cheers! Cool

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #5 - 03/14/19 at 00:15:22

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BMW_F800GT

That looks like a lot of bike to like !   All the bike anybody would ever need .

could it possibly be as "user Friendly" as a Savage ?   its only 100 lbs heavier but look at all that HP !  

Smiley

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion ,that we may never know
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #6 - 03/14/19 at 03:49:26

I have only ridden the bike on a couple of short local rides so far - but I am very impressed with this motorcycle.  The parallel twin is not as smooth as some of the larger sport touring bikes - but it is far smoother than the Savage engine and at cruising speeds the vibration is minimal....vibration increases under hard acceleration but is still very tolerable.  The motorcycle really turns/corners willingly......it is by far the most nimble bike I have ever owned.

Last night as I pulled out onto the 4 lane was the first time I tested the HP in 1st & 2nd and about halfway through 3rd....this is a really quick bike by my "old guy" standards - but at lower throttle settings it is calm and very civilized.

This bike was not a big seller in the US - but the owners sign praises about how nice of a bike it is......it is a shame the mid sized sport touring bike just don't sell well in the US.  For some reason most US riders want to purchase the larger 1,000 - 1,200 cc bikes that weigh 600+ pounds....I suppose if you are 6'+ tall and over 200 pounds the bigger bikes fit better.  This bike is just a bit small for riding double....so maybe that is part of the reason it doesn't sell well in the US.  The F800GT has been discontinued in the US....a few 2018 models were imported and no 2019 models are coming to the US.

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #7 - 03/14/19 at 04:35:45

Which bike are you going to ride up the Blue Ridge with MM?

2 days up, 2 days back riding at moderate speeds -- I'd ride the one that was more comfortable on my butt and back.   So this is as close to an old farts meander that you guys will ever do, huh?

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #8 - 03/14/19 at 06:01:26

Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 03/14/19 at 04:35:45:

Which bike are you going to ride up the Blue Ridge with MM?

Not sure....I know it won't be the Savage Cafe' as there is no room for luggage.  The seat on either BMW doesn't seem to be user friendly....they seem awful hard and push me forward onto the tank, and a Sargent seat is supposed to work much better than the stock ones.  I got a bid on a seat on eBay and I hope to get it cheaply.

2 days up, 2 days back riding at moderate speeds -- I'd ride the one that was more comfortable on my butt and back.   So this is as close to an old farts meander that you guys will ever do, huh?
I don't know if the Blue Ridge Parkway is an easy ride or not.  The length is 469 miles....so that is not less than 235 miles a day (4 days in a row), and on some of our group rides to TN/NC we have ridden all day and not covered that many miles.  There is no "base camp" to come back to on this ride....and no way you can take a day off and not get left behind.
We had not done any planning yet, so we don't know if we are camping or finding affordable cabins or hotels.  Chances are if we are riding weekdays we should be able to find lodging without having to make reservations.
I don't plan on having to take any food or cooking gear....just a tent and sleeping bag and the needed clothing changes.  I don't anticipate the speed or road conditions will be challenging.....the big challenge is sitting in the seat for extended periods - and I expect we will want to take some side trips to explore curvy or scenic roads along the way.

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #9 - 03/14/19 at 07:48:58

Translation for the reading impaired ---- Dave is saying if you can't do them iron butt rides of 10-12 hours a day then don't plan on coming.

Well, as I said it was as close to an old folks meander ride as they are ever gonna do.   If they can spot where they plan to stay each night roughly I might be able to ride up and meet the group up north of Greensboro somewhere (if they can spot a place to stay at).

But no, an iron butt I do not got any of not any more.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #10 - 03/14/19 at 08:02:47

I don't believe it is an "Iron Butt" ride.....but I also don't see how it can be considered to be a easy.  It is likely going cover more than 1,000 miles in 4 days....and a large majority of that ride could be at speeds close to 35 mph.  That is going to require a lot of time in the saddle.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
03/28/24 at 12:10:48

General CategoryThe Cafe › Bright Future....the end of cold and dark!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.