Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Is this (Swedish available) oil suitable? (Read 106 times)
RocketScienceSmurf

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Sweden
Is this (Swedish available) oil suitable?
03/12/19 at 06:36:02

New member from Sweden and this is my first post here. I recently bought a Savage (think it's a 1995 but the seller was not sure) and I have been reading a lot bout ZDDP additives in motor oils. I plan to change oil and oil filter and the Rotella seems almost impossible to find here in Sweden, but there is however a mineral oil that looks promising (as far as I can see). Would you recommend me to use the Biltema 20W-50 based in the attached specs?

Biltema_20W-50.PNG
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Is this (Swedish available) oil suitable?
Reply #1 - 03/12/19 at 06:49:04

Unless you ride in extremely hot weather all the time....the 20W-50 oil is thicker than would be ideal for the Savage.  The Zinc and Phosphorous levels look to be in the range for a proper amount of ZDDP (unfortunately the testing procedure isolates the components and cannot reveal the true ZDDP content when they are combined).

So the oil will likely be OK and not damage anything - but a 10W-40 or 15W-40 oil would be a bit better.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
RocketScienceSmurf

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Sweden
Reply #2 - 03/12/19 at 08:47:24

Thank you for answering so quickly.

Lots of things can be said about Swedish summer. It being hot is normally not one of them, however last summer was actually very hot and dry. I would say normal driving conditions would be 70-75 degrees Fahrenheit. Early spring rides will probably be closer to 50 degrees. Almost all other oils I can get my hands on here in Sweden contains Moly which is one of the reasons this specific oil caught my eye.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 03/12/19 at 09:42:30

What oil do they use in the diesel trucks?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #4 - 03/12/19 at 18:52:22

I'd be inclined to see if Biltema  had an oil with the same makeup that was a 40 wt.    75F is hardly what we would consider hot,  CA. or Fla. where temps get 100F + would be more like it . But 50 wt oil as been tested and it makes our bikes run even hotter! 50 wt oil being thicker ,flows more slowly and thus provides a thinner oil film between parts, and carries away less heat (oil's two main jobs in an air cooled motor) making  a 40 wt oil the best choice.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
RocketScienceSmurf

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Sweden
Reply #5 - 03/12/19 at 22:35:30

Thank you all for very good answers. I stumbled across this one when looking at the other options they had

https://www.biltema.se/BiltemaDocuments/TechnicalDataSheets/36994_TDS.pdf

but then I noticed that none of their datasheets specify Moly and I suspect that at least their fully synthetic "racing" oils actually DO contain Moly. Can't explain why they don't mention or specify it but I will try and contact to see if it's possible to find out.
« Last Edit: 03/13/19 at 03:07:45 by RocketScienceSmurf »  

Biltema_10W-30_SUTO.PNG
  IP Logged
RocketScienceSmurf

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Sweden
Reply #6 - 08/01/19 at 23:15:19

Finally got an answer from Biltema regarding moly

Quote:
Our engine oils don’t contain Molybdenum. The common elements you will find are Calcium, Zinc, Sulphur, Phosphorous predominantly. Some oils contain Boron, Magnesium. The elements provide the friction modification, anti-wear, detergency etc.

I think I will go ahead on the SUTO oil and see how me and my bike likes it.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/18/24 at 18:11:33

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Is this (Swedish available) oil suitable?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.