Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Re: Out For My First Ride
Reply #15 - 03/15/19 at 04:28:58

I miss riding the Smokies. 🙁🏍

Hopefully in a few years Paula and I will be able to move back to S. Carolina and be much closer to the area.

IP Logged
kiwi5000
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Tennessee
Reply #16 - 03/28/19 at 08:43:45

Went out the other day for my second ride. Actually, it was my third but my second one was a wash due to gas in the engine. Suffice to say I had to order another petcock. Upon further inspection of the bike I noticed the pipe was loose and the muffler looked like it wasn't on all the way. I took the muffler off to snug it up better and found that it was a HD muffler! So then I thought i'd see what they did (or didn't do) about the mixture screw. Yeah, it was completely buggered up. Had to drill it out. Ordered one online and once it came in I changed the oil (again) and filter, new air filter, spark plug and fresh gas and then it started up like a champ! There's a little backfire after I cut the engine off so I bought the jetkit advertised here by Lancer. I haven't jetted it yet or even set the mixture screw, I just turned the new one out 1.5 turns. It's nice out today so I'll probably go for another ride.

I also bought an 18" rim and tire since the back is nearly bald. No point in buying one now only to change it later so I'll probably work on that this weekend.

Here's a picture I took on my first ride. It flooded here and I found this tunnel leading to a pond in the road.

firstRide_image1.jpg

2002 Savage
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #17 - 03/28/19 at 17:51:18

There's a place that looks like that down below Fayettville near the Al. border .     Could it be the same one ?

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion , we may never know
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
kiwi5000
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Tennessee
Reply #18 - 03/29/19 at 13:47:48

MMRanch wrote on 03/28/19 at 17:51:18:
There's a place that looks like that down below Fayettville near the Al. border .     Could it be the same one ?

--------------------------------------------------------------

Nah, it's close to New Market Tn. Like most small towns they all look the same in some spots lol. Smiley

2002 Savage
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #19 - 03/30/19 at 10:08:17

I'm up in Lynchburg .  , New Market has a neat little BBQ place !   If the Savage gang makes it to Tn. this year we could meet ya for BBQ then go see if the water has gone down yet  ?    Smiley

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion , we may never know
kiwi5000
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Tennessee
Reply #20 - 04/01/19 at 13:31:08

MMRanch wrote on 03/30/19 at 10:08:17:
I'm up in Lynchburg .  , New Market has a neat little BBQ place !   If the Savage gang makes it to Tn. this year we could meet ya for BBQ then go see if the water has gone down yet  ?    Smiley

-----------------------------------------------------

Sounds good to me! I'm up for a ride anytime.

2002 Savage
  IP Logged
kiwi5000
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Tennessee
Reply #21 - 05/08/19 at 08:00:38

Update

So I've been riding more and more as my free time provides. I LOVE it. I don't know if anyone else is like this but when I get into something new I tend to want to do it as much as possible. Maybe I'll get burnt our but that's no where near possible right now. Every time I go out for a ride I think to myself "how are more people not on these things?". There's no end to how happy and free one feels on a bike. Maybe I could see it getting tiring if this was my only form of transportation and having to drive in the rain and sleet and snow would become dreadful... maybe. However, I have the luxury of a car right now. I think I'm going to take a camera with me when I go out. I haven't had any close calls yet (knock on wood) but one time a truck inched forward at a stop while he was looking the other way and abruptly stopped when he whipped his head my direction.

So here's a couple of points and questions I'd like to address.

1. I only joyride. I've yet to got into the store or elsewhere that would have me putting my helmet somewhere. What do you all do when you go out on your bike and have to leave your skullsaver? I've got the helmet lock so I could use that. I went to Lexington KY (road trip with my kids to a convention) and saw two bikes in the lot with bags and helmets just sitting on their bikes. Seems awfully trusting to me. Mine's a full face. Gotta protect this money maker lol.

2. I amazingly pulled onto my road as my front wheel went flat. This happened to me a week prior in my car too! I'm a lucky s.o.b. Got me thinking about what would happen if this occurred while i was out. What do you all do for breakdowns or flats? Insurance, tow, friends, push it home?

3. Upgrades: I put an 18" rim on the front. That coupled with a new tire, this thing handles so much better now! I've also re-jetted the carbs with Lancers kit. Rides good and plugs aren't too lean but still a little too much i think. Now I need to change the front fork seals.

I think that's about it Smiley

2002 Savage
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #22 - 05/08/19 at 08:14:49

I don't know if anyone else is like this but when I get into something new I tend to want to do it as much as possible.

Nope, you're totally alone. You might be a weirdo.

When I was just getting back to riding I was going down a country road and heard a sound. Took a second to realize I was laughing..

You can get a firearm lock. They have a flexible loop with a rubber coating. Around the handlebars and the chin guard.
The helmet hanger leaves it upside down, inviting idiots and a55holes to deposit trash or liquids.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #23 - 05/08/19 at 09:52:41

Been riding since 1969......still not lost the "fun" for me (I did take a 30 year break between 1979 - 2009 while I attended college and spent too much time at work).

I have a somewhat expensive helmet and radio.  If I am going to be out of sight of the bike for long, I either lock it up or take it inside with me.

If your bike is stock - it should have a helmet lock on the back fender.

« Last Edit: 05/08/19 at 11:00:30 by Dave »  

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
sjaskow - FSO

Frozen Tundra of MN
Reply #24 - 05/08/19 at 10:42:45

kiwi5000 wrote on 05/08/19 at 08:00:38:
Update

So I've been riding more and more as my free time provides. I LOVE it. I don't know if anyone else is like this but when I get into something new I tend to want to do it as much as possible. Maybe I'll get burnt our but that's no where near possible right now. Every time I go out for a ride I think to myself "how are more people not on these things?". There's no end to how happy and free one feels on a bike. Maybe I could see it getting tiring if this was my only form of transportation and having to drive in the rain and sleet and snow would become dreadful... maybe. However, I have the luxury of a car right now. I think I'm going to take a camera with me when I go out. I haven't had any close calls yet (knock on wood) but one time a truck inched forward at a stop while he was looking the other way and abruptly stopped when he whipped his head my direction.

So here's a couple of points and questions I'd like to address.

1. I only joyride. I've yet to got into the store or elsewhere that would have me putting my helmet somewhere. What do you all do when you go out on your bike and have to leave your skullsaver? I've got the helmet lock so I could use that. I went to Lexington KY (road trip with my kids to a convention) and saw two bikes in the lot with bags and helmets just sitting on their bikes. Seems awfully trusting to me. Mine's a full face. Gotta protect this money maker lol.

2. I amazingly pulled onto my road as my front wheel went flat. This happened to me a week prior in my car too! I'm a lucky s.o.b. Got me thinking about what would happen if this occurred while i was out. What do you all do for breakdowns or flats? Insurance, tow, friends, push it home?

3. Upgrades: I put an 18" rim on the front. That coupled with a new tire, this thing handles so much better now! I've also re-jetted the carbs with Lancers kit. Rides good and plugs aren't too lean but still a little too much i think. Now I need to change the front fork seals.

I think that's about it Smiley

Hm, is it a joyride if your 25 mile ride home turns into 150+ just because? Wink

To lock your helmet to your bike, grab a  https://www.masterlocks.com/product/350/no-8114d-cable-lock and run it through the eye opening with the face shield cracked open. It won't discourage a determined thief but the snatch and grabs won't get it.

2012 Victory Vision - http://www.jaskowiak.cc/vision
2006 Suzuki S40 - http://www.jaskowiak.cc/S40
WWW   IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #25 - 05/08/19 at 17:42:19

That back tire looks petty bald , your next ride may be to the hospital .

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #26 - 05/08/19 at 20:43:08

. Maybe I'll get burnt our but that's no where near possible right now.  

Grin

got my first one at age 15 ,  

One year in collage I couldn't afford a car and a bike.
So one year I was "Bike-less"

Now 51 years latter I still "NEED" a ride if the sun is shinning !  
It NEVER  goes away or get old  !   Wink    It only gets worse !  Grin

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/20/24 at 04:35:45

General CategoryThe Cafe › Out For My First Ride

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.