Out For My First Ride (Read 290 times)
kiwi5000
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Tennessee
Out For My First Ride
03/10/19 at 17:37:26

Literally my first ride. I took my MSF class last year and finally got a bike! Today was the maiden voyage. Had a few issues with the bike at first but figured things out. Spent the better part of the day being a biker! It was really amazing. After I got better at changing gears up and down and turning off my blinker it turned into the most perfect day to be out. I didn't realized how many back roads I've never been down, went places I never knew could lead to familiar ones and all the while it seemed my expectations of riding met and exceed the reality of actually doing it! Anyways, I plan on doing some modifications and maintenance the previous owner neglected to do. Hope everyone can enjoy a nice ride soon. Stay safe!

2002 Savage
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Out For My First Ride
Reply #1 - 03/10/19 at 17:48:08

I didn't realized how many back roads I've never been down, went places I never knew could lead to familiar

One of ridings great times.
Good on ya,,

What kinda mods you planning?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #2 - 03/10/19 at 17:54:39

The name is interesting, do you have some connection with New Zealand? While you're enjoying your rides, remember you only have a 2.6417287 US  gallon tank. Your safe range on that will be about 110-120 miles. If the tank is dead empty, you might squeeze 3 US gallons in if you are very careful,  but beware of seepage around the cap. Doesn't bother me down here, but most US fuel is ethanolised and this may hurt your paint.

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
kiwi5000
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Tennessee
Reply #3 - 03/11/19 at 09:56:12

justin_o_guy2, I'm going to do a cafe racer style to it this winter. Right now I just want to ride it as is Smiley However, I do need a back tire for it so I was thinking about going ahead with the 18" rear wheel conversion. I've found a rim on ebay for $47. Seems like a good deal. I'm just not sure the spoke length to get. Also, it needs a new fork seal and so I'll go ahead and lower the front while i'm at it. I was going to do the spacer method that goes inside on the smaller spring i believe. I need an air filter too and am considering the pod filter and re-jetting but I might be getting ahead of myself.

jcstokes, no connection, just a random username i use. Thanks for the tip, I did stop and get some gas but didn't pay attention to odometer. I'll try again next time. Thanks!

2002 Savage
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #4 - 03/11/19 at 10:36:40

Guys here have done rim swaps. I don't know that you can get that size in without a swing arm modification, maybe even Hafta lose the belt.
Great idea to ride it, as is for a while, get a feel for what you want from it.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #5 - 03/11/19 at 10:51:45

Not all rims work on the back of the Savage - if the spoke holes were punched at an angle for a hub with a disc brake.....the spoke angle may be wrong.  You also want 36 spoke rims - not 40 spokes.

Buchanan Spoke and Wheel can get you spokes.....some folks have also used the spokes from Mike's XS650 site - the back of the Yamaha used a brake drum with the same size spoke circle as the Suzuki.

Putting the fork spacer to drop the front limits the fork travel, and makes for a horribly choppy ride.  Getting the top yoke with the clamp is a much better choice for dropping the front.....and the height can be adjusted with an allen wrench.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
kiwi5000
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Tennessee
Reply #6 - 03/11/19 at 11:33:49

Dave wrote on 03/11/19 at 10:51:45:
...some folks have also used the spokes from Mike's XS650 site...

Will that 2.15x18 rim on his website work as well?

Dave wrote on 03/11/19 at 10:51:45:
...Getting the top yoke with the clamp is a much better choice...

This is a great suggestion, i never thought of this! What should i be looking for? Any specific yoke or dimensions?

2002 Savage
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #7 - 03/11/19 at 12:38:54

I have no idea if the front from an XS650 will work....it likely won't as I believe it was a drum brake.

The top yoke is in our Marketplace:
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1549061357

So is a front rim:
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1399394334/0

I might be able to get you a good 2.50x18 Excel rim and new spokes for a less than "retail" cost.

IP Logged
zipidachimp
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

surrey, b.c.
Reply #8 - 03/11/19 at 23:32:18

Hey! where have dc motive been hiding? I bought the ryca top clamp and had to drill my own riser holes. How come you supply with the holes and ryca refuses?? Also, you're priced lower. What am I missing.  I may buy a second set. Cheers! Cool

IP Logged
kiwi5000
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Tennessee
Reply #9 - 03/12/19 at 06:01:52

Dave wrote on 03/11/19 at 12:38:54:
...I might be able to get you a good 2.50x18 Excel rim and new spokes...

Hey Dave, that'd be great! Let me know more please.

2002 Savage
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #10 - 03/14/19 at 00:42:29

kiwi5000  you anywhere near Lynchburg Tn. ?   I've seen some of these fellers roll up my driveway in some years ... this may be one of them ?

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion , we may never know
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
kiwi5000
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Tennessee
Reply #11 - 03/14/19 at 07:03:59

MMRanch wrote on 03/14/19 at 00:42:29:
kiwi5000  you anywhere near Lynchburg Tn. ?   I've seen some of these fellers roll up my driveway in some years ... this may be one of them ?

Nah, I'm closer to Knoxville.

2002 Savage
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #12 - 03/14/19 at 07:44:08

I pass through Knoxville on our way to the good riding areas down your way.......just east of you is the Tail of the Dragon and other really good riding areas in TN/NC/GA.  The speeds aren't high - but the terrain is challenging with lots of hills and very tight corners.

You need to get a few miles under your belt and get confident in your riding ability - hopefully you can join us on a group ride someday.

IP Logged
kiwi5000
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Tennessee
Reply #13 - 03/14/19 at 12:13:33

Dave wrote on 03/14/19 at 07:44:08:
I pass through Knoxville on our way to the good riding areas down your way.......just east of you is the Tail of the Dragon and other really good riding areas in TN/NC/GA.  The speeds aren't high - but the terrain is challenging with lots of hills and very tight corners.

You need to get a few miles under your belt and get confident in your riding ability - hopefully you can join us on a group ride someday.

Yeah that'd be great! How often do you come down?

2002 Savage
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #14 - 03/14/19 at 13:42:01

I try to get down 2 or 3 times a summer.

Last year I only got down early in the summer....and then again in November.

There are generally 2 or 3 other forum members that meet me there.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/24/24 at 15:48:40

General CategoryThe Cafe › Out For My First Ride

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.