Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Selling a bike across "the cultural divide" (Read 179 times)
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Selling a bike across "the cultural divide"
03/10/19 at 13:57:48

This is strange ...... posted the big black bike on Craiglist and got a half dozen hits from non-English speaking persons who wanted a code from me to verify I was for real.

Is Craigslist gotten all eat up with the crazy stuff that badly, or are these people simply scammers and rip off artists of some sort ???

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
norm92de
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

El Paso TX
Re: Selling a bike across "the cultural divide"
Reply #1 - 03/10/19 at 14:19:59

I had a friend who almost lost a beautiful Mustang like that. They sent a check for I believe more than the full amount, he was supposed to send them the surplus after shipping etc.

He had already made arrangements to ship the car when I told him about a scam I had heard about.

2014 S40. Raptor. idle mixture adj.Needle raised one notch. 4000' altitude. Stock jets. Shell Rotella synthetic.
  IP Logged
norm92de
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

El Paso TX
Reply #2 - 03/10/19 at 14:23:56

I didn't mention that if he had cashed the check, since it was stolen, he would have been liable for that also. Not sure how it all works out but that is as close as I can get from my befuddled memory.

2014 S40. Raptor. idle mixture adj.Needle raised one notch. 4000' altitude. Stock jets. Shell Rotella synthetic.
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #3 - 03/10/19 at 17:57:53

I am wondering how many different craigslists my bike would have gotten peddled on if I gave out any string of made up numbers as a "code".   I won't of course, but I can see getting sucked into these fraudulent games if you are NOT CAREFUL.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #4 - 03/10/19 at 21:23:14

All scams. I do a fair amount on Craigslist as a buyer and seller. As a buyer, I do not accept any communication other than phone or text. Emails posted on the image or in listing text are always scams. I will text first but if they will not have a phone call with me I walk away. As a seller, I communicate by text or phone only. No emails via craigslist or text requests asking me to email them more info. Again, any request to email or provide codes is a scam and the first step to lure you in.

Plain and simple, phone calls or texts only and CASH ONLY. No exceptions. For every 1 real buyer there are 10 to 20 scam texts, you just have to be prepared to ignore the barrage of scammers.

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | RT6 w/Redline | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
ArkansasBrian

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Little Rock, AR
Reply #5 - 03/11/19 at 02:23:26

Craigslist seems like a pile of scammers and not much else these days. Facebook Marketplace seems to have largely filled that niche, at least locally. I have sold an electric piano and bought an Intruder 800 there in the past month.

I'm sure some people are categorically against doing anything, much less business, on FB, but it really has some solid advantages. It's easier to verify that you're dealing with a real person. You see their full name or at least one that is recognised by their friends. You can see connections through mutual friends or groups. You can stalk their profile to make character judgements. Depending on how much they share publicly you can even verify info about the object being purchased.

Kid who sold me the Intruder said he'd had it for 2.5 years. I went back on his timeline and found the picture from 2.5 years ago when he bought the bike. I know where he works. I know where his dad works. I know that his dad is a Harley guy who does quality control at a private jet manufacturer and therefore that the kid probably had a good example for how to take care of his bike. If I found him on Craigslist I wouldn't have these assurances.

Anyway, that got longer than I intended, but y'all might want to check it out as a CL alternative.

Still looking...
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Selling a bike across "the cultural divide
Reply #6 - 03/11/19 at 04:39:06

Craigslist is full of creeps....both buyers and sellers.

If you see a nice bike, trailer, etc. for reeeeaaally cheap - it is likely a scam.  I saw a Scamp trailer that was really nice and pretty darn cheap, and you needed to pay for it and then pick it up at a military base.  He had a YouTube video of the trailer that had several thousand viewings and was 6 months old....the trailer would have been scooped up in less than a day if it was legitimate.  I started looking at the Craigslist's from other cities, and it was posted all over the country.

Do not respond to anything that asks:  "Is your item still for sale?"  "What is your lowest price?" or similar questions that are vague.  They are just trying to get your phone number and/or email address to add to contact lists they sell.

For small items.....meet the folks in a public parking lot - no sense having the world know where you live or what kind of stuff you own.  I meet the folks at my office - which is at the city building right next to the Police station!

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
zipidachimp
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

surrey, b.c.
Reply #7 - 03/11/19 at 23:48:28

If you are not local, I'm not buying. If you are not local, I am not selling. cheers! Cool

IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WTF is JOG?
Re: Selling a bike across "the cultural divid
Reply #8 - 03/12/19 at 06:09:04

THIS

stewmills wrote on 03/10/19 at 21:23:14:
All scams. I do a fair amount on Craigslist as a buyer and seller. As a buyer, I do not accept any communication other than phone or text. Emails posted on the image or in listing text are always scams. I will text first but if they will not have a phone call with me I walk away. As a seller, I communicate by text or phone only. No emails via craigslist or text requests asking me to email them more info. Again, any request to email or provide codes is a scam and the first step to lure you in.

Plain and simple, phone calls or texts only and CASH ONLY. No exceptions. For every 1 real buyer there are 10 to 20 scam texts, you just have to be prepared to ignore the barrage of scammers.
-----------------------

AND THIS

Dave wrote on 03/11/19 at 04:39:06:
Craigslist is full of creeps....both buyers and sellers.

If you see a nice bike, trailer, etc. for reeeeaaally cheap - it is likely a scam.  I saw a Scamp trailer that was really nice and pretty darn cheap, and you needed to pay for it and then pick it up at a military base.  He had a YouTube video of the trailer that had several thousand viewings and was 6 months old....the trailer would have been scooped up in less than a day if it was legitimate.  I started looking at the Craigslist's from other cities, and it was posted all over the country.

Do not respond to anything that asks:  "Is your item still for sale?"  "What is your lowest price?" or similar questions that are vague.  They are just trying to get your phone number and/or email address to add to contact lists they sell.

For small items.....meet the folks in a public parking lot - no sense having the world know where you live or what kind of stuff you own.  I meet the folks at my office - which is at the city building right next to the Police station!

---------------------------------------------

pretty much covers it.

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #9 - 03/27/19 at 06:52:34

Just a quick follow up, on the day the guy supposedly shows up at 1:00 with the cash to buy the bike.

The Barcalounger is a VERY pretty bike.   Putting 8.5 gallons of gas in the bike seems "fantastical" to most folks viewing the pictures.   One told me that me selling the bike was stupid, that I should keep it since it was "made to fit me".

The guy that finally signs the title in front of the bank officer will be a lucky SOB, simply because he could believe the simple truth.

Scammers on Craiglist have pretty much spoiled that venue, in my opinion.   Or else I am a complete oddity in the reality these kids live inside.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #10 - 03/27/19 at 08:18:37

So , OldFeller

Did ya sell the  " The Barcalounger "  ?  

It is a pretty bike !  But made for a Floridian ... or other Flat-Lander type.

Smiley

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion , we may never know
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #11 - 03/27/19 at 14:17:36

Floridian?   We won't remind you of the view you got of that poky Floridian Barcalounger most times when I was younger and spry and could whup your butt on a motorcycle at will ......  and what your last Sportster had to say about the Barcalounger just plain running away from him repeatedly on the Cherohala.

Seriously, it was a nice bike for what little I paid for it and I sold it 2 years later for what I paid for it (and the guy who wheeled it away got a good deal on it and I hope he can make a buck when he sells it too).

However, I am glad it is gone as it is "a temptation removed" for where I am in life right now.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #12 - 03/27/19 at 17:57:03

Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 03/27/19 at 14:17:36:

Floridian?   We won't remind you of the view you got of that poky Floridian Barcalounger most times when I was younger and spry and could whup your butt on a motorcycle at will ......  

I think MM was referring to the tendency of that new Barcolounger to scrape the footpeg mount whenever you tried to corner "festively"....it was not a comment about the rider.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #13 - 03/27/19 at 20:51:15

Me?  Scrape the crossbar up some?   You are kidding, right .....  scraping the crossbar, I never heard of such a thing.

I don't believe I ever showed the young man that particular feature as he was 6 feet all and 175 pounds skinny so he might never find that particular feature.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #14 - 03/27/19 at 21:20:12

I was referring to those skint places you showed me up under the  Barcolounger .

I"m not sure I was pushing the Sportster to its limits  , but might have been pushing the limit of what I was willing to do.      You know I'm a "Law-o-bidding type most of the time .   Wink
Either way I'm rid of all 600 lbs of it now , and feel good about the 400 lb bike that replaced it.   But , I'm still "Law-o-bidding" most of the time.   Smiley

You realize your not the only one rolling the years up on the Clock !    You remember that guy we met on the  Savage trike  (Yellow I think) ,  at the time it did't seem like such a good idea but in 20 more years it could be a really good idea ?  Huh

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion , we may never know
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/25/24 at 04:37:42

General CategoryThe Cafe › Selling a bike across "the cultural divide"

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.