Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
No start - turns over - w/ fuel and spark (Read 118 times)
NCrider88
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

No start - turns over - w/ fuel and spark
03/10/19 at 11:49:10

Hey folks. Been reading here for a couple years now since I bought my Savage! Awesome resource! But I've finally hit a wall. So nice to meet y'all.   Shocked Grin

I don't do a lot of highway riding but last week I was and my bike lost throttle, or at least power and I pulled it over where it promptly cut off. I have been able to start it since. I've replaced the petcock (raptor), cleaned the carb (plugged the vacuum) and replaced the spark plug, oil and filter, and put on a new air filter. All this stuff needed to be done but weren't really solving my problem because it won't start but will turn over.. I tried bumping the engine today and I can push the bike forward in second with out the clutch engaged. Oddly even with the clutch engaged when trying to start in second the bike wants to learch forward. Any advice? Thanks.

IP Logged
norm92de
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

El Paso TX
Re: No start - turns over - w/ fuel and spark
Reply #1 - 03/10/19 at 13:25:12

Are you sure the battery is good. If you have spark and fuel it should try to start.

What you describe about lurching is normal if it is in gear with the clutch engaged.

2014 S40. Raptor. idle mixture adj.Needle raised one notch. 4000' altitude. Stock jets. Shell Rotella synthetic.
  IP Logged
NCrider88
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 03/10/19 at 14:03:05

norm92de wrote on 03/10/19 at 13:25:12:
Are you sure the battery is good. If you have spark and fuel it should try to start.

What you describe about lurching is normal if it is in gear with the clutch engaged.

Ok going through the trouble shooting guide here I was trying to test for decomp solenoid so it was new for me starting in second after bumping it. The battery is new and charged or was as of starting the trouble shooting. I am trickle charging it now to be sure.. rectifier problem maybe?

IP Logged
norm92de
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

El Paso TX
Reply #3 - 03/10/19 at 14:14:01

If the engine turns over it is unlikely to be the decomp solenoid.

If you had the carb off you may have introduced an air leak. That would sure cause a problem.

2014 S40. Raptor. idle mixture adj.Needle raised one notch. 4000' altitude. Stock jets. Shell Rotella synthetic.
  IP Logged
NCrider88
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 03/10/19 at 14:48:41

norm92de wrote on 03/10/19 at 14:14:01:
If the engine turns over it is unlikely to be the decomp solenoid.

If you had the carb off you may have introduced an air leak. That would sure cause a problem.
Aye. Since I bought it it's actually been running with the stock petcock and the vacuum hose disconnected.. not bragging but it ran. I just replaced the petcock and sealed up the vacuum line on the carb.. all carb work was done after it died while on the road. While I mention it has compression it's just a thumb feel I haven't gotten to a psi check.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #5 - 03/10/19 at 17:59:36

I use ether when I don't trust the carb.
If it's got good compression the engine will have a beat to it as the starter spins it. If the starter doesn't slow down a bit then it's not coming up on compression.
If the battery is low it won't spark.
It Will spark with the plug out, because the starter is not sucking current fighting compression.
If you've been cranking on it and it's not starting, bet that battery is low.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
NCrider88
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 03/16/19 at 05:04:19

Thanks Justin and everyone else. I've wanted (and needed apparently) to do some work on the bike. I've had a full set of gaskets cam chain and the a ability to modify the cam chain tensioner.
I'm not sure it's compression, I'm but after considering the ol thumb gage and  and not having any other ideas. I'm going to stop being lazy and either fix it or FUBAR it while I check everything else as I break it all down.. Since I'm opening it I'm going to replace the Piston rings but I'm waiting to order those. I'll post some pics and let you know one way or another. Tongue
I'm trying to be prepared but I. Fairly broke and ignorant so if you have anything to add I'd gladly hear it. Shocked

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #7 - 03/16/19 at 06:49:33

Charge the battery
Use ether if it doesn't start
Then open it up

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #8 - 03/16/19 at 08:44:50

After a lot of trying to start, but no joy,... you may have gas washed the cylinder.
This will wash away the oil seal on the cylinder walls and give you no compression.
Pull the spark plug and spray a little oil in the hole.  Just a second or two of spray lube or a squirt from an oil can and it will recoat the cylinder.

Then, I'd try starting with a car battery jump... (make sure not to have the car engine running or it can fry the small bikes electrics)...

Why did the bike die originally?... Might have been the petcock,... might also be a clogged gas tank vent.

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #9 - 03/16/19 at 10:21:39

Pulling the plug without first thoroughly cleaning around it invites grit into the cylinder. As Dave said, turning it over without the plug sucks crap in.
If you pulled the plug and put it on the wire, held it by the engine, spun it to check spark, and didn't have it clean up there, you may have made a mistake.
Charge the battery
Clean it up around the plug
As Row said,
Why did it die?
What did it do?

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #10 - 03/21/19 at 04:51:51

Forgot how primitive this site is...
Anyway...

If you spun it over with the plug out, anything that may have fell into the cylinder blew right back out. If the engine has enough power to raise the piston it has enough to blow road grit off the piston crown. JoG is kinda paranoid...

Does the engine “chuff” when cranked? You have compression.
Does the plug spark when out of the cylinder? Ignition is good.
Crack the bowl drain screw and get drips? Petcock is good.

It is either a low battery, very common, the charging system is a joke... or a plugged jet. Also very common, and easy to fix. Pop off the float bowl, pull the float and run a big needle through the jet you can now see. Does the slide move freely, or is it sticking the ethanol blend crud in that jet?

My 2003 sat idle from late 2016 until last week. New battery. New spark plug. Fresh fuel. Nothing... Pulled carb and ran a torch tip cleaner through the jets. Filled float bowl with fresh pure gas and fired right up. Gas tank with 2 gallons of white vinegar is in the back of the truck. Soak and agitate for the next couple weeks. May be savable... not important. Have another just in case.

Good luck, happy tinkering, don’t ride it until you replace the factory cam chain tensioner. The stock one will fail and will destroy your engine. Usually between 20-30 thousand miles indicated.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Bubba
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Denver, CO
Reply #11 - 03/21/19 at 11:09:06

I agree with the battery folks...also, although it sounds dumb...does it have gas in the tank? is the raptor petcock in the right position? does it have oil?

It's something simple I bet...

I fixed up an old '97 for a friend a while back and took it out for a spin after a buncha work...flying along the hiway and just died...checked everything and then flipped it to reserve...fired right up!
Then I went and got gas...just sayin'

'06 lt Blue, Dyna Power pipe, air screw 2 1/4 turns, 52.5 pilot w/ bleed holes, 150 Main, 2/3 spacer, Pirelli MT66 tires, Raptor petcock, 412-4006 Progressive shocks
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #12 - 03/21/19 at 13:04:24

WD wrote on 03/21/19 at 04:51:51:
Forgot how primitive this site is...

Are you referring to the bike.....the forum.....or the members? Huh

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Spamcan
YaBB Newbies

Burdened with a
restless mind !

Reply #13 - 04/01/19 at 13:30:47

Amen to checking that tensioner... I got real nervous reading the various posts about the stock tensioner on my recently purchased 2006 w/14k. Purchased a used/modified one from Versy and finally, at 15k got into the right side. Good thing I did 'cause it mic'd at 17.6X mm!  Whooooeeee, dodged a bullet, I'd say!

USAF Ret E7. Instrumentation and Flight Controls. QC Activity Team Chief. Field Training Instructor, Type IIA PMEL. C-47, C-54, C-121, C-130, T-33, T-37, T-38, F-5, A-37, F-101, F-105, F-16. Loved it!
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/19/24 at 13:18:13

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › No start - turns over - w/ fuel and spark

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.