Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
I dropped the oil pump drive gear pin. Help! (Read 93 times)
LessThanLethal
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

I dropped the oil pump drive gear pin. Help!
03/09/19 at 21:20:13

I understand that there are a couple of threads about the pin dropping out when you pull the clutch basket but I didn't find them until I went looking because it happened to me. The problem is the only solution I have been able to find is a magnetic drain plug or a big magnet behind the oil filter.

I already replaced the pin and have the clutch back together but I am hesitant to just rely on a magnet to catch it before it gets jammed up somewhere causing catastrophic damage.

Any Ideas on how to get that pin out before I start the engine without having to split the case?

1999 Suzuki Savage LS650
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Re: I dropped the oil pump drive gear pin. Help!
Reply #1 - 03/10/19 at 10:31:57

Just split the cases it will give you the chance to reseal the main cases.
If not , when it leaks. Grin Grin Grin

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
norm92de
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

El Paso TX
Reply #2 - 03/10/19 at 11:34:19

I have a magnet and a mirror on  telescoping rods. I believe they are widely available.

If you can locate the pin I bet it would be worth a try.

2014 S40. Raptor. idle mixture adj.Needle raised one notch. 4000' altitude. Stock jets. Shell Rotella synthetic.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 03/10/19 at 11:34:35

Telescoping magnet.
Unless you already put the side cover on.
I would have retrieved the pin, not replaced it.
I sure hope you got the gear on right.
It Will go together backwards.
It won't STAY together,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
LessThanLethal
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 03/10/19 at 15:31:02

I borrowed a telescoping magnet but could not locate the pin. The thing is I'm not sure that I'm the one who lost it. I got the bike for dirt cheap with the understanding that it needed clutch work and once I got in there I realized it was missing a few parts, the lock nut wasn't torqued down but it had brand new friction plates like someone made an attempt to replace the clutch. I'm not sure the pin is inside the case but I'm going to run a large magnet along the bottom of the case while I drain the oil. If nothing comes out I'm just going to let it be. I test drove it a few miles and handed it over to my GF, she rode around for a while with no issues yet. I'll be sure to update the post if it binds up the gears or causes any issues. It's her bike and she probably won't be doing any long rides on it and only having about $500 into it I won't be too upset if I have to replace the engine.

1999 Suzuki Savage LS650
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #5 - 03/10/19 at 17:51:03

The oil pump drive gear goes on backwards and, to the untrained eye, looks good.
But you will be replacing the engine.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
LessThanLethal
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 03/11/19 at 06:20:04

You seem pretty sure lol. I am sure I put the gear on correctly. I actually super glued the pin in place and made sure the gear slid over it securing it as well. If you read the post I explained that someone put this thing back together all wrong and that I did my research.

It would be helpful if you gave a suggestion in regards to getting the pin out of the crankcase if it is in there without splitting the case.

Smart guy!  Grin

1999 Suzuki Savage LS650
  IP Logged
LessThanLethal
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 03/11/19 at 06:30:39

To clarify the oil pump is working just fine and the $5 cam chain mod I had my buddy weld up is too. Before anyone else hops on here with their keyboard warrior armor on, please reconsider your decision and make the decision to help with the original question.

1999 Suzuki Savage LS650
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #8 - 03/11/19 at 12:01:11

I  believe the forum members have tried to help you.....poking a magnet around inside and/or flushing the crankcase out with diesel fuel are about the only things you can do (unless the engine is out of the frame and you are strong enough to hold the engine up and roll it around to try and get the pin to fall out.

The members were just trying to make you aware that the gear can be put on backwards, and the results are bad.

Do you have a Clymers manual?

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
LessThanLethal
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 03/11/19 at 13:11:12

Thanks for the suggestions Dave. I do have a Clymer manual and it does mention the pin but it just says be careful to not lose the pin. Doesn't really tell you what to do if the pin is lost or how to avoid losing it. I like the diesel fuel idea and I'll probably give that a shot here in the next couple weeks.

I do appreciate the helpful ideas. Thanks to those who have made suggestions.

1999 Suzuki Savage LS650
  IP Logged
LessThanLethal
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 03/12/19 at 10:38:09

I'm going to pick up a magnet to stick to the bottom of the crank case to catch any metal that might be inside until I'm ready to tear it down again. I can get one that's 3in. x 0.5in. at the hardware store for $5 with a 95lb. pull rating. Has anyone ever had a large magnet in close proximity to a stator? I'm wondering if it's going to screw up the stator or the bearings but I don't know enough about stators or magnets to know if it will have any effect at all.

1999 Suzuki Savage LS650
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/18/24 at 20:38:51

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › I dropped the oil pump drive gear pin. Help!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.