Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: New Member, Used Ryca
Reply #15 - 03/14/19 at 08:58:11

I have ridden several stock Savage bikes in this area (500' - 800' elevation), and some of them run OK....while a few have a surging just off idle at low throttle openings.  The bikes seem to run fine at full throttle - but when you try to ride them at a normal traffic speeds...the bikes surge when you just barely open the throttle.  This condition is usually corrected by replacing the #47.5 pilot jet with a #50, and replacing the white spacer on the slide needle with 3 washers (#4 machine screw).  I also replace the main jet with a #150......this recommendations will likely be a bit rich at higher elevations where the stock jetting might work just fine.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
LiftdT4R
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #16 - 03/14/19 at 09:59:35

Interesting that it may be lean. I've got to open it up and find out what's there.

Dave, when you say surging, what do you mean by that? I'm thinking like when a 2 stroke hits the power band.

IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #17 - 03/14/19 at 12:35:13

Surging feels like the throttle is being rocked back-n-forth.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #18 - 03/14/19 at 13:02:18

When you hold the throttle steady - the engine alternates between a slight acceleration and a slight deceleration........kind of like a cylinder is dropping in and out on a 4 cylinder bike.

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #19 - 03/14/19 at 14:37:04

Gary_in_NJ wrote on 03/13/19 at 14:47:18:
I think I'm running a 52 and 155 with the #4 washer shims to make the mid-throttle a bit richer. I haven't messed with it n years because it was correct on the first shot. The only time I notice a lean surge is when the engine is cold - and that's exactly how you want it.

The QQ's are for a '72 240Z.

That is a very nice looking 240Z.
I never owned or even driven one but do remember racing a few in Ft Worth on weekends when we had leave from Ft Wolters.  They were quick and it was always a close race.  No one ever got in trouble.  😏  🚁😎

IP Logged
norm92de
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

El Paso TX
Reply #20 - 03/14/19 at 21:03:42

If i might add my two cents worth.

I add half an ounce of engine oil to my gas on every fill up. I think/hope it helps the inside of the gas tank especially with the darn ethanol. And lubricates the slide as well as the throttle shaft. My bike has only 9k on it but it runs very well, and I have never had a carb issue.

I have never seen a two stroke carb that was in poor condition, meaning petroil lubricated of course.

2014 S40. Raptor. idle mixture adj.Needle raised one notch. 4000' altitude. Stock jets. Shell Rotella synthetic.
  IP Logged
LiftdT4R
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #21 - 03/15/19 at 06:58:26

Thanks, good to know! The last carb'd 4 stroker I had was a 1998 Kawi ATV that I sold in 2004 so it's been a while. All my new 4 strokers are fuel injected and I've even had problems with those with the ethanol.

I do run Startron Enzyme treatment and it seems to work pretty well.

I was reading on older threads that if the vacuum seal on the petcock goes it siphons fuel into the carb causing a rich condition which is why I'm planning on replacing it with a Raptor petcock before I do my jetting.

Also, I saw in some old threads that the Ryca tanks are prone to corrosion from ethanol and because they are modified from the stocker. Is there any truth to this? Is the inside coated? If not should I coat it while I have it apart? There's a drag strip by my house that sells non-ethanol gas but it's a PITA to get and at $7 a gallon I like Speedway's priced much better.

IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WTF is JOG?
Reply #22 - 03/15/19 at 07:14:59

I think coating a modified or old tank is probably a good idea.  An ounce of prevention...

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #23 - 03/15/19 at 07:27:14

The stock tanks don't rust as long as you run good fuel through them on a regular basis - but if you let gas sit and go stale all kinds of bad things can happen.

The RYCA tanks have been cut and welded, and that can create problems that didn't exist in the factor tank.  I would line them....I prefer the Caswel Epoxy - but it is really important that you comply with their temperature guidelines and don't try to coat it when it is too cold.  The POR15 is less temperature sensitive and is a good product....don't waste your time on the Kreem stuff.

IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WTF is JOG?
Reply #24 - 03/15/19 at 09:03:07

I've heard good things about Red-Kote.  

I got the tank on my bike off of eBay and it was done with Kreem.  It working out great so far.  I have no idea how long it's been in there, but there is no rust or leaks.

EDIT:  I should add that I one nice thing about Kreem is that it is easy to recoat with it as long as the tank is in good condition.  I'll probably keep using it on my tank since it's already there and in good condition.  It can also be removed if needed.  Some sealers are a little more "permanent" or difficult to work with if it gets compromised, so do your research first.  

I've done a little bit on the subject and think that Kreem might be a little easier to maintain long term.  I'm still not sure if it would be my pick on a new tank but finding out that it's pretty easy to refresh every so often might prove to be an advantage over the long haul.

« Last Edit: 03/15/19 at 11:23:59 by ohiomoto »  
  IP Logged
LiftdT4R
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #25 - 03/17/19 at 09:49:44

I pulled my plug last night to do a compression test and noticed it is a DR8ES-L which doesn't seem like the correct plug for this bike. I searched and found: http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?board=tech;action=display;num=1107534689

It looks like the correct plug is a DPR8EA-9 or any other one in the above thread. Just wanted to double check with you guys but I don't see any reason why someone would run the DR8ES-L.

I'm not certain what the difference is between the two but it would be nice to know to diagnose my bike's issues. As far as I can tell I have a resistor plug whereas the correct one is a projected center insulator resistor plug. I'm not sure the rest of the coding difference even after consulting NGK's chart.

IP Logged
LiftdT4R
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #26 - 03/21/19 at 16:03:05

Anyone on the plug Q?

EDIT: I did not hold the throttle wide open today when doing my compression test and got a reading of 110psi. I held it wide open just now and got a reading of 140psi.

Throttle position never seemed to matter on 2 strokers when compression testing.

With 140psi compression is it worth it to do the leakdown test too or should I be ok?

« Last Edit: 03/21/19 at 17:08:03 by LiftdT4R »  
  IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #27 - 03/22/19 at 03:52:17

I’m a big fan of running the correct spark plug. At 140 psi you have good compression.

IP Logged
LiftdT4R
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #28 - 03/22/19 at 07:13:38

Thanks again!! I am too, that's why I was wondering why someone may have put this different plug in the bike.

That was cold too, so I imagine warm it will be a bit better. From what I've been reading there shouldn't be a need to do a leak test, right?

IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #29 - 03/22/19 at 19:20:43

Do you suspect that you have a leak? Even a good engine will allow about 10% loss during a differential compression test. Even then it's hard to determine where the 10% is going. When a piston, rings or valve has gone, it's quite easy to tell where the leak is. At 140 psi for a basic compression test I don't expect that a differential test will tell you much.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
03/28/24 at 19:24:37

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › New Member, Used Ryca

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!