Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Going to look at a SAVAGE (Read 225 times)
jonahbronah
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Going to look at a SAVAGE
Reply #15 - 03/11/19 at 20:51:12

I have seen all of your guys’ posts! Haha
Thank you all! I actually drove out to the guys place and he was a no call no show. I might try again but not really sure. I’m going to continue looking. The longer I wait the more I can save up to get a slightly nicer bike or to get better gear. I’m located in San Fernando valley in California for anyone that might have any clues for a bike nearby. Thank you guys again for all the advice.

IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #16 - 03/12/19 at 02:47:27

Some would say the lack of a front fender, doesn't help the handling.

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
jonahbronah
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #17 - 03/12/19 at 09:31:13

In my search for my first bike i have become attached in a sense to 3 particular bikes.  All with their own attractive features.  First, the s40 of course. Just kind of a reliable brute for everyday cruising.  Next the newer honda rebel for its affordability and apparent reliability with fuel injection instead of carb.  Finally the yamaha Bolt which i don't know too much about except that its within the same price range, and its quite a bit more powerful than the s40.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #18 - 03/12/19 at 10:07:49

There isn't much that would attract me to the Bolt......it is not a stellar bike and a 540 pound motorcycle is not a big asset when you are learning to ride and are not yet over the "dropsy's".

The Savage is a bike I personally like - the larger Honda Rebel 500 would also be a bike I would not be afraid to own.....provided long trips on the interstate were not going to be in my future.  The Rebel 300 might even be OK if I was stuck in a city environment and seldom needed to go over 60 mph.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Reply #19 - 03/12/19 at 11:53:14

For a first motorcycle, I don't think you could go wrong with a Savage/S40 as long as you could find a fairly new, under maybe ten years old, low mileage ( 5 to 10K) example in stock condition that has not been "customized" by the previous owner(s) for a reasonable price.

These bikes are light, easy to ride, and comfortable. They are also simple, dependable, and inexpensive to maintain, and the folks on this site will happily walk you thru anything you need to do.

They are also surprisingly capable all around motorcycles. They are nimble in traffic and easy to maneuver in tight quarters. The engine is very docile while just cruising around but still has enough power to deal with long stints of highway riding at 70 -75 mph if you need to do that. I have  taken multi-day trips on mine that involved hours of droning along the interstates  (sucks but sometimes you have no choice) with no ill effects on either me or the bike.

My 2006, which I've had for five or so years now, was two other guys' first bike before it came to me. It wasn't my first motorcycle by a long shot but it may well be my last. I have another bike right now in addition to the S40 - a Sportster. If I was ever forced to just keep one it would be the Suzuki. It does everything that I need a motorcycle to do.

IP Logged
jonahbronah
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #20 - 03/12/19 at 13:37:32

The more i look into rebel 500's the more i find bikes that are either a little out of my price range or older 250cc versions so maybe that can be for some time in the future.  the more i look at s40's, especially the new ones, the more i like them.  I just found a 2008 s40 near Sacramento from a  dealership that is letting it go for $2299 (hopefully closer to 2k after negotiation).  They said it has a new battery and rebuilt carb and has gone through inspection.  I'm worried about tires because its older and the shop didn't change the tires when they got it, so they are likely fairly old.  But Sacramento is a 5 hour drive for me so i want to be sure

IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #21 - 03/12/19 at 16:45:14

If it still has IRC tyres on it, I would get rid of the back one at least, IRC's dont like the wet or uneven tarred surfaces, or tar snakes.

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
jonahbronah
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #22 - 03/12/19 at 18:48:18

What’s an IRC?

IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Reply #23 - 03/12/19 at 19:34:30

jonahbronah wrote on 03/12/19 at 18:48:18:
What’s an IRC?

IRC is a tire brand. New S40s come with IRC tires on them from the factory so if the bike you are looking at has IRC tires on it there is a pretty good chance that they have been on there since the bike was new. The IRCs don't have a very good reputation on the Savage site. Just about everyone replaces them with something else once they wear out.

Tires have a date code stamped on the sidewall. Look for the letters DOT followed by a series of numbers. The last 4 of those numbers are the date code.  For example, if the last four digits are 2517 the tire was made in the 25th week of 2017.  So, May of 2017.

The recommendation of most tire manufactures is that tires over six years old should be replaced even if the tread is not worn out.

$2299 for the 08 sounds like a fair price as long as the bike is stock and in good overall condition. Look at the tires and see how old they are. If they are too old, instead of trying to negotiate the price of the bike, see if the dealer will replace them for you as part of the deal.  

IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #24 - 03/12/19 at 20:37:14

If you do get them to replace the tyres, don't let them put more IRC's on. There is a Shinko brand which is very popular here as good value for money.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
03/28/24 at 15:56:26

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Going to look at a SAVAGE

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.