Send Topic Print
Cable cutting update (Read 86 times)
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Cable cutting update
03/08/19 at 11:16:51

We're much more satisfied with the offerings available and saving, I'm guessing, ballpark, seventy bucks a month. Commercials are much shorter, depending on which service I'm using, sometimes under a minute.
There's even a countdown timer so I can unmute the tube.
So, if you're laying out an uncomfortable amount of money for cable, a Roku Express, for about thirty bucks, and a very healthy Wi-Fi connection, and you can get a ton of movies and T.V. shows you can watch from season one episode one through to the end.
I miss game shows, otherwise, Phhht, we're both really happy with it.
We do have fiber optic cable that our internet runs on. Pretty good stuff considering we live in the boonies.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Cable cutting update
Reply #1 - 03/09/19 at 04:20:40

My wife and I are in need of a technical makeover at home.

We have had our Zoomtown cable service for nearly 18 years, our Direct TV satellite for 14 years, and our TV is likely close to 10 years old and is not a "SMART" TV......and the picture goes off the screen a bit on both sides and we can't find any way to correct that.

I am technically illiterate on the Roku, Hulu kind of crap.

« Last Edit: 03/09/19 at 07:12:10 by Dave »  

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 03/09/19 at 04:50:18

I don't know for sure,but suspect if you don't have a high speed internet connection to support the WiFi, it's not gonna work well. But, a visit to the store where you would buy the stuff would fix your lack of understanding .
Getting schooled by pimply faced kids is a little painful.
If your T.V.has HDMI ports,it'll work. If it's got rca ports, ehh, maybe,, another question for the kids.
If you decide to update the T.V., get one that's been on the market a couple of years.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #3 - 03/09/19 at 09:31:43

If ya got good net then you can have a digital ant and Netflix .  Then quit paying that cable bill.😊

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion , we may never know
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #4 - 03/09/19 at 10:47:47

Dave, you got to go start looking around fairly soon anyway .....

ANY electronic technology you have held for over 5 years is going to be verging on "out of date" and has likely been replaced by something that is "better" and more modern.   Plus, 4G and 5G is becoming more and more compelling as we speak for value for dollar spent.

Here is what is coming new for this year -- 5G wireless service from all the players, functionally faster than your existing internet (yes, faster than even that optical laser expensive stuff that nobody could afford when it was hot 2 years ago) with all of the cell phone players and the NVOs making 5G services available, competing hard for the new business in all ways possible.   Your cable companies really do not compete at all, being "rate set" by the .gov agencies that monitor and control them.

When 5G lights up in your area, then the old 4G plans (perfectly good for streaming TV and the internet) will become the new bargain basement stuff, with suitable price deals out there for you to find.  

The old 3G service will now become throw away cheap, but you can still stream 720p movies on low end 3G speeds (using standard buffering tricks).

Android cell phones can now throw anything you can see on the phone screen up on your TV screen using a ChromeCast device ($50 at Walmart) and Apple phones have similar things available to them through the Apple store.    Likely your existing phone can do the duty that you are after, or a wifi router driven Roku box ($80 at Walmart) certainly can do it, absolutely certainly.   But you gotta start counting out your total bill for both phones and TV viewing and considering that total as the nut you are trying to crack ......

It depends on what is cheaper (assuming both are available to you) --- an unlimited data plan on your phone or a cheap wifi off your internet service combined with a cheap limited phone plan from a cellular provider.

Remember, you have to buy the phone service for your phones anyway and the "unlimited data" might be cheaper than another complete form of internet service (like internet service, wifi router & the Roku wifi box ......)  

Remember, if you can manage to get rid of an entire service while saving money on what remains, that is the best possible outcome.

===================================================

Why it is better to actually spend some time looking and getting familiar with the tech and the terms before you need to actually go buy something .....

Pre-thought makes for better choices on your part.   Example, I could use a open end die wrench to loosen reloading dies when changing them.   A cheap stamped sheet metal 1 1/16" die nut wrench from Hornady costs $16-$20 plus shipping (a real rip-off).

Some thought spent on it said 29mm stamped sheet steel metric wrenches would engage and turn the die nuts just fine, but could be awkward on my 3 die and 4 die turret Lee Progressive machines because of the very close spacing.   Hornady makes a cheap sheet metal socket that costs too much, and a normal deep well socket is too large and too thick walled to fit the in between spaces on the four die turrets.  

But metric stuff is always cheaper than inch stuff (and is getting more so as the years go by).

So I began watching Amazon and Ebay for 29mm combination wrenches and sockets, expecting a low cost wrench or deep thin wall socket to be ~ $14-16 ~ if one became available used.

Amazon popped this one up for one day only -- $8.95 with free 2 day shipping.   Why, I dunno .... but it came today, looking good as it is brand new in the hanger display packaging ready to go up on the sales floor display hanger.  

SAE standard dimensions, drop forged tool steel, all properly polished and hard chrome plated.   Good stuff, in other words     Wink

The wrench is of a sizable length as you can see and it rests on the "Y" leg bracket under my computer table like it was built on purpose to stay there permanently, being all "always on hand" and always "right handy for use".   The box end will go over my largest dies and turn the big lock nut to either tighten or loosen them just fine, and the 12 point box end system means I can engage a die nut on any of my turret positions from either side of the press as needed.  

Ditto for the open end, but it isn't as nifty to use as you still have to aim it properly and then fight the neighboring turrets for enough turn room -- the box end always just drops over die and the nut and seats itself, and then jest a little bit of 12 point turn action breaks the die nut loose good enough for finger turned die removal/installation.

« Last Edit: 03/11/19 at 21:30:00 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

IMG_20190309_131529248.jpg

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/18/24 at 12:28:14

General CategoryThe Cafe › Cable cutting update

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!