Send Topic Print
Mikes 97 Savage build (Read 175 times)
1997savagedude
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mikes 97 Savage build
03/03/19 at 16:02:46

Here is a pic (I hope) of my 97. I am buiding her out with alot of custom parts while the snow flies here in the Colorado mountains. I am putting in a high performance cam, high compression piston and nitrided cam chain i purchased from Lancer. These will go nicely with the Mikuni 36mm VM center slide carb set up I already got from him last summer. I got the ultimate flow optimizer, Dial a Jet and Quad Flow Torque Wing from Thunder products to really make the carb come alive. New valves, springs and seals. Progressive shocks and springs for the forks too. hotwire plug wire. Stebel Nautilus horn, velocity stack tires paint.......lots of things. it is at the performance shop as we spaek. The rockers were sent off to Webcam for hardening to match the camshaft. I also purchased the head plug and cam chain tensioner form verslagen, they are on the way. I am putting the Mac 2'' id headpipe with reverse cone exhaust on it, so it can really breathe. I am barely ablr to sleep while its being done. The rockers wont be back for about 2 and a half weeks, man the anticipation is killing me. I will Keep updates as i have them. will be at shop this weekend and will take pics of her torn apart. Coolest thing ive done ever.  Smiley

00D0D_5reqCBfmOci_1200x900.jpg
  IP Logged
1997savagedude
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Mikes 97 Savage build
Reply #1 - 03/03/19 at 16:31:05

oh yeah. i posted on rubber side down hoping for any tips you all may have for me. Thanks!

IP Logged
Justjoshin
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 03/03/19 at 16:39:55

Oh yeah, looks like we can document our builds together here. I hope to finish my rear fender and tank fab work this week and then move on to the fake oil tank and battery box. Good luck!

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #3 - 03/03/19 at 23:25:27

Savagedude , kind of a mistake coming for advice "after the fact", rather than send the rockers off to be hard faced $$$$ it would have been faster and probably cheaper just to buy new rockers for about $55 a piece ,I believe the factory hard faced them starting about 2005.
Velocity stack? their generally used only in racing ,you need an air filter for the street ,or dust and dirt will enter and ruin your motor.
  the 2"mac pipe may be too big . The largest pipe you might run is 1.65" ,a 1.5" would work just as well. The stock header is double walled ,this helps keep the exhaust gases moving at about 350 ft/per second,  from slowing as they cool ,( the gases slow as they cool moving down the header) . The 1.5 "header is single layer and presents 56 cu.in's of volume .   but the 2"pipe would present 100.5 "(the gases will cool and slow over twice as much) which may reduce the power the bike makes.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #4 - 03/04/19 at 03:07:31

Yep....welded rockers are a waste of money - however WebCam does require them to make their warranty valid.  The 2005 and later rocker arms have hardened pads brazed on and they work just fine with the Webcam.

With all the work you are doing....the head should get some mild port work to reduce the size of the ring in the exhaust port, and some general cleanup of the rough casting.

Can I interest you in a lightened flywheel?  Armen made some of these and they improved my 0-60mph time by 1/2 second.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1504271719/0

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
1997savagedude
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 03/04/19 at 14:00:30

The hardened rockers are required by webcam for their warranty. Also recommended by my mechanic. I am having the exhaust port work done and i have several different exhausts to play with while we tune it out and see what the dyno says. i have the stock header and a 22" delkevic slash cut with the racing baffle in it. That may end up working better. I am counting on the reverse cone and the louvered core exhaust to help with the gasses cooling the "backpressure" i will need , etc. . its an experement. i can change it if it doesnt  work, and the exhaust issue may be quite valid. i will report on which exhaust set up works best!

IP Logged
1997savagedude
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 03/04/19 at 14:45:50

i forgot......the velocity stack IS a bad idea for street use, unless you have a filtered one like i do. I know Inkow, the filter pretty much ruins the flow help a velocity stack provides....im doing it for looks my brother. I just like how they look. I am looking for advice on like oil to use, breaking in a rebuilt engine, the stock brakes seem decent...is an upgrade worth the money? i am using a fork stabilizer. has anyone else had good luck with the one from superbrace? I Think the flywheel dave put up might be worth the time. im gonna ponder that for a bit.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #7 - 03/04/19 at 17:24:49

For break in....us anal folks recommend a straight weight dino oil for the first 150 miles - I use the oil made by PennGrade.  It has a minimum amount of detergents, no multi-grade additives and a high ZDDP level.  Detergents and additives that make an oil "multi-viscosity" take the place of oil molecules.....so builders claim a straight weight, low detergent oil is best for the first 150 miles.  

https://www.amazon.com/Brad-Penn-Oil-009-7120S-Engine/dp/B002RF8IN2

After 150 miles....I would use Shell Rotella T4, which is a 15W-40 mineral oil with a good ZDDP level and all the other additives you need.  You could also use the T6 synthetic which is 5W-40 - but I would wait until after the 2nd oil change to use a synthetic.

With my first Webcam I drank the Kool Aid and bought the hardwelded rockers from WebCam - I am not impressed with the quality...your mileage may vary.  I suppose the welded rockers are better than using the early 1 piece rockers - but the 2005 and later factory rockers with the brazed on pad are much better quality than the welded ones from WebCam.  I have never seen one of the later style rockers fail (I have plenty of worn out early rockers that prove they are not durable - and the only pair of welded rockers from Webcam I bought had the exhaust rocker fail).  I found the failure when doing a head plug repair after 8,000 miles of use - Webcam repaired the cam for about half price but charged me $137 for the rocker repair.....that is the last pair of welded rockers I will ever buy.

IP Logged
1997savagedude
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 03/04/19 at 17:46:47

Thanks Dave. I will use break in oil. sounds smart,
Hopefully the rockers hold up. we will see i guess. if they dont ill buy a new set and use as is.

IP Logged
badwolf
Serious Thumper

Ridin' my Lil'
Bagger - 153k miles
so far

Palm Beach County, FL
Reply #9 - 03/04/19 at 18:10:19

Everyone thinks about what they want a build to LOOK like, and people want POWER so they build-up the engine and or change the gearing.
That gets you INTO trouble that the weak front brake on our bikes CAN'T GET YOU OUT OF!
There are a couple of ways to improve the front brake, you can buy a whole kit with a bigger rotor and stronger caliper that bolt-on, or if you are a do it yourselfer a SV650 left front dual piston caliper will be a huge increase in power with the stock rotor. BUT you will have to build a new mount. No biggie if you have access to a welder and drill press.
You will NEVER regrett having a stronger front brake.

IP Logged
1997savagedude
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 03/04/19 at 19:35:29

break in oil. a brake upgrade idea. thanks for everyones interest and input. This site has been a wealth of knowledge. Pepole taking interest in my build is inspiring.  Thanks to all of you.

IP Logged
1997savagedude
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #11 - 03/07/19 at 09:40:06

I want to thank everyone for the thoughts about the rockers! I was able to stop my order and get the right ones sent to me with no hassle. i made sureto order the later model part numbers to get the ones witht the factory brazed tip on them. too cool.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #12 - 03/07/19 at 09:46:45

Here is a thread on the early/late style rockers.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1476207917/2#2

Here is a photo of the WebCam welded rocker that failed.  It appears the intake rocker was done properly - however it appears the exhaust rocker was not ground flat after welding and as a result the wear pattern is not straight.  I don't know for sure why the rocker failed.  I used good oil and believed I broke it in properly.......the rocker has about 8,000 miles on it when this photo was taken.

IP Logged
1997savagedude
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #13 - 03/07/19 at 10:17:32

Awesome. Now i can verify i get the right thing when i see it. You may very well have saved my build! now i just need my head plug and cam chain tensioner from verslagen. i ordered from him about 3 weeks ago, so i bet it wont be much longer.

IP Logged
1997savagedude
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #14 - 03/07/19 at 14:59:16

Once I verify that i have the correct two piece rockers i will post the part numbers and where i got them so everyone else knows too.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/03/24 at 22:30:10

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Mikes 97 Savage build

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.