Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Cheap but good Linux Mint computers (Read 460 times)
zipidachimp
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

surrey, b.c.
Re: Cheap but good Linux Mint computers
Reply #30 - 03/13/19 at 23:16:48

Connecting my Mint desktop to my plasma tv lets me watch youtube vids on giant screen. Connecting my mint desktop to my stereo allows me to listen to radio stations/music from anywhere in the world.
That is how I survived a recent bout of bronchitis/ nasty cold weather. Cheers! Cool

IP Logged
rl153
Serious Thumper

S40 Just right!

Bloomfield,CT
Reply #31 - 03/14/19 at 06:01:43

It seems like everything is working fine, I haven't tried to burn a CD yet. I did the updates but can't really make out what they are about. If I have info on a flash drive that was created in windows, can I copy to the Linux machine? I appreciate your input. Thanks!

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #32 - 03/14/19 at 06:21:49

Linux reads and writes files in any Windows format, but you have to generally know which exact file format you want and you have to use the "Save As" function not just the simple Save.   Remember, Linux CAN do this if told to, but it will automatically use .ODF format on a simple Save unless you reset your system default format to do something else.  

In my house all the machines are set to use the default format for whatever my wife currently uses at school, and we do a lot of translating of old file formats as some of her stuff goes back through like 7 generations of forced Mickey Word format "upgrade" forced willy nilly changes.

She thinks it was clever of me, that she can open up some moldy old shite from one of her buddies that they can't even read anymore on any of the equipment the college owns and my big Mint box opens it and lays it back down in their current MS Word format so they can all  use it again      --- its plumb magical, it is .....

It is funny, Libre Office can open and save files in ANY of the many many many file types MS frog marched the world through at gun point (forcing everybody to upgrade multiple times as they went for over $80 a seat each time).   MS Office itself cannot do that once they roll like 2 revisions past it --- Mickey then sells a translator program for each level for big $$$$ and expects you to pay them to use the files written by their old stuff THAT YOU PAID FOR on your new stuff THAT YOU PAID FOR.    Mickey is a little greedy, sometimes.

Libre Office is a great tool for folks who get files sent to them from all over the world as it can handle most all of them (and translate the files between them too).

I learned originally about the old FOSS Open Office software 20 years ago from an executive secretary who had it on her machine to use as a file translator for her boss who got files from people scattered all over the world and he expected her to be able to "handle it for him".

So, remember "Save As" and use it when dealing with other people's stuff that you plan to send back to them.   You have to use Save As when dealing with Windows files that you plan to read again on a Windows machine.  

Or else tell your Mint Linux box to do it automatically for you .....

https://www.howtogeek.com/281166/how-to-change-the-default-file-format-in-lib...     Detailed "how to" on changing your default save format in Libre Office

And for those who remember Open Office, here is what finally happened to it once Oracle got done screwing everybody in the world over about it.   This is the same story as to what happened to Star Office, Star Office was the predecessor to Open Office and Oracle did them at the same time they did Open Office.

https://www.zdnet.com/article/openoffice-is-dead-long-live-libreoffice/

« Last Edit: 03/14/19 at 08:20:40 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #33 - 03/14/19 at 07:36:52

rl153 wrote on 03/14/19 at 06:01:43:
It seems like everything is working fine, I haven't tried to burn a CD yet. I did the updates but can't really make out what they are about. If I have info on a flash drive that was created in windows, can I copy to the Linux machine? I appreciate your input. Thanks!

If you are talking thumb drive, stick it in and Linux will read it.    COPY over anything you want to your Linux box but do not put anything back on that thumb drive from your Linux Mint machine or Windows will refuse to read it (they can read it you know, but you are being punished because you touched Linux and got Linux cooties on their MS thumb drive).

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
rl153
Serious Thumper

S40 Just right!

Bloomfield,CT
Reply #34 - 03/14/19 at 12:38:39

Thanks!

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print