Why be positive? (Read 27 times)
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Why be positive?
02/22/19 at 09:11:50

Since making a consciousness effort, challenge, to myself, to be a upper, not a downer, I have experienced things mentally, as well as physically, in my life.
The first ting I do, when I open my eyes, is reach for my Iphone, read a Verse of the Day, which has a verse,  a thought pertaining to that verse, and a prayer.....
I do this even before I pee, which means sumtimes, I read shorthand  Grin

After I tub it, coffee up, help the wife, PEE......I then meditate/reflect on "things" before I saddle up to meet the day.

I am the guy who will leave hours early for a appointment, because I do not want to be late.....
I am not sure where that came from, but if I have to "rush" to make it, it effects my day in its entirely, as my mind is frayed with negativity.
So taking the few moments early in my day helps me to avoid that personal snare. ( I wonder how many motorcycle accidents happen because the rider is rushed and not thinking clearly and focused?)

So, anyway, I found this, I LOVE IT.....and I will share it  Smiley

by Belle Beth Cooper

One thing that I noticed immediately when joining Buffer was our emphasis on cultivating positivity.

If you take a quick look at our culture deck, you can see the high priority we place on this. Since I joined the team, positive thinking is something I’ve focused on a lot, and it’s been fun to see how spending time with positive thinkers rubs off on me.

At the moment, some of us are experimenting with sharing one great moment we had at the end of each day. I’ve found that making this a habit has encouraged me to look out for positive moments during the day, since I know I’ll need to share one later on. It’s also been a great way to increase my feelings of gratitude—often for everyday things, like a great coffee to start the day or encouragement from a friend.

I wanted to really dig into positive thinking as a habit and see what science has to say about it. I found some really interesting research on how positive thinking can improve our health and happiness, as well as some great advice to cultivate a habit of being positive.

Why be positive in the first place? – Consider these 3 key benefits
Before we get into building positivity into your life, let’s look at why we would even bother. What are the real benefits of being more positive?

The first thing I realized is how negative emotions affect us: they have proven many times to narrow our focus and scope of work. It’s one of the most powerful ways shut our minds off to opportunities or new ideas. This is why this post about listening with intent to agree is so great—it encourages listening with a positive emotion (agreeability) in mind, so that our minds will more naturally open up to what the speaker is saying.

We know that the effects of negative emotions are biological instincts programmed into our brains to help us survive. For example, if we were to come across a dangerous animal in the wild, the negative emotions of fear and anxiety would narrow our focus so that all we could think about was not becoming that animal’s dinner. This helped us to more efficiently direct our energy and mental functions towards that objective, without wasting our resources on unnecessary actions like working out which direction we’re going or thinking about what to have for dinner when we get home.

Of course, modern life doesn’t often put us in life-and-death situations like this, so allowing negative emotions to narrow our thinking can be harmful. It can make us less open, more hard-headed and more difficult to communicate with.

1. Negativity doesn’t work – Literally – Our subconcious brain can’t handle it
The other thing about negativity is that our brains can’t process negative words according to the latest studies. So when we hear phrase like “don’t smoke” or “don’t touch that,” our subconscious skips over these negative words and simply hears “smoke” or “touch that.” Our conscious mind can obviously process these words, but it’s the subconscious that makes a lot of our decisions without us realizing.

For young children, this can often be an issue because they haven’t learned to use their conscious minds to process those negative words and take control of the subconscious to make sure they follow instructions correctly. It’s no surprise why children decide that way if you look at the split between conscious and subconscious mind according to psychology:

Conscious mind (12%) versus subconscious mind (88%) is the way our brain works/processes input/data/stimuli

What this means for us is that we struggle to change our habits or thought patterns when we tell ourselves negative phrases, since only our conscious minds can take those in. We can make this much easier and let the subconscious do its job by using positively-framed phrases like “refrain from smoking” or “walk away from that.”

2. You’ll improve your outlook of the future
Positive thinking can actually improve our overall happiness. I’ve written about this before in terms of noting down things we’re grateful for on a regular basis and how that can improve our happiness.

A study at the University of North Carolina also showed that positive emotions are more likely to encourage people to plan ahead and think of actions they would like to take or activities they’d like to participate in the future. Negative emotions, on the other hand, led to participants being less inclined to think positively about their future.

3. You’ll be more healthy
Yep, positivity has shown to directly affect your physical health. Another study from the University of North Carolina used the ancient practice of loving-kindness meditation to test how cultivating positive feelings like love, compassion and goodwill towards others could affect the emotional and physical health of the participants.

Compared to the control group who did not participate in the meditation, the meditators showed increases in positive emotions like amusement, awe and gratitude during the research period. They also reported feeling more socially connected and closer to the people around them.

Physically, these participants showed improvements in vagal tone which is linked to cardiovascular health and a general indicator of physical well-being.

Happy thoughts all, and JOYFUL attitudes....PEACE!

“The biggest big business in America is not steel, automobiles, or television. It is the manufacture, refinement and distribution of anxiety.”—Eric Sevareid (1964)
  IP Logged
Eegore
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Why be positive?
Reply #1 - 02/22/19 at 10:25:32

"and it’s been fun to see how spending time with positive thinkers rubs off on me."

I know in my case I get a whole lot more done in my life, and for my community and work if I spend my time with the appropriate people for the goals I have.  In none of those cases do I find myself getting anything done around people who complain instead of leaving the house and doing something.  Its a different situation to be around a group that says "How can we solve this problem" versus "Someone needs to solve this problem."

I agree that positive thinking is beneficial, and having methods to do this is even more important.  I do however wonder how this referenced article/verse or whatever came up with the 12% vs 88% numbers.

The Implications of Conceptual Critiques and Empirical Research on Unconscious Processes for Psychoanalytic Theory paper has a lot of information that agrees with the general idea but doesn't come to any conclusion regarding percentages.

https://guilfordjournals.com/doi/abs/10.1521/prev.2013.100.6.881

These are also good references, the first being a decent "go-to" reference for me:

Unconscious knowledge: A survey
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3101524/

This is a good supplemental as it uses actual biological scanning information from dreaming subjects:

Dreaming and the brain: from phenomenology to neurophysiology
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2814941/

IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #2 - 02/22/19 at 14:23:48

Thank you for those links, I will surely investigate them!

The numbers are not mine, but copied from the article of Beth Cooper.

I have heard stories/reports from winning professional sport teams, they all shared that believing, and sharing positive attitudes/outlooks, was the glue that  held the team together....

That it became a force in itself, that continued to grow and expand, as they all shared the same belief....

With that, it would stand to reason that a negative person, outlook, could  contaminate others, a toxin, yes.... misery loves company  Undecided

“The biggest big business in America is not steel, automobiles, or television. It is the manufacture, refinement and distribution of anxiety.”—Eric Sevareid (1964)
  IP Logged
Eegore
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 02/22/19 at 14:40:10

I've always told my employees that we are either looking at the problem, or the solution, but we don't look at both at the same time.

The goal is to process from time used examining the problem to time used examining the solution.  Negative thinkers tend to stop with the habit, or find other work.  I imagine sport coaches work in a similar way.

IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #4 - 02/22/19 at 15:21:03

Eegore wrote on 02/22/19 at 14:40:10:
 I've always told my employees that we are either looking at the problem, or the solution, but we don't look at both at the same time.

The goal is to process from time used examining the problem to time used examining the solution.  Negative thinkers tend to stop with the habit, or find other work.  I imagine sport coaches work in a similar way.  

Yes, not to side track the issue too much, but using a current topic, opiates, the addiction, the effect on society, and how we are trying to combat it.
All need their own scrutiny for certain, but believing we can find a solution, based on fighting the use of a drug, will not really resolve the issue to begin with.....and lord knows, our intentions are just and worthy, but that alone just can't do it.

John Wooden was a very successful basketball coach, left his mark on many.....
I remember one of his observations, kinda goes against conventional wisdom, as in, "don't sweat, or worry over the small stuff"....put your energies into the BIGGER picture.

Where he said, if you in fact do worry over the little things,attend to them first,  then their won't be any BIG things, to take care of ( or sumtin like that )  Smiley .

This is great and prudent advice in getting financially sound.
Pay off your small debt FIRST, when those are gone, you now have all your resources to tackle the bigger debt.  Wink

BTW, you sound like a good boss, setting a good example.....sorely missing in the little bit of exposure I had in the corporate world.  Wink

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/11/24 at 22:29:14

General CategoryPolitics, Religion (Tall Table) › Why be positive?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.