Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Older GPS devices clock accuracy (Read 136 times)
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Older GPS devices clock accuracy
02/14/19 at 08:55:41

Is your GPS driven device older than 10 years old?

https://liliputing.com/2019/02/old-gps-devices-may-stop-working-properly-in-a...

If you use your smartphone for GPS navigation, or pretty much any other GPS receiver released in the past decade you can probably ignore the rest of this article. But if you have an older GPS receiver, it may malfunction on or around April 6, 2019.

That’s because the GPS system works to identify location using GPS Time, a “weighted average of GPS satellites and ground station clocks.” And GPS Time is about to reset on April 6th, which could cause some older devices to reset their clocks to sometime in 1980 or 1999… which would lead to inaccurate navigation results.

The problem arises from the fact that GPS time uses a 10-bit binary parameter for the week, which means it can only count to 1023, and then it resets to zero.

« Last Edit: 02/19/19 at 13:47:10 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Re: Older GPS devices about to lose clock settings
Reply #1 - 02/14/19 at 09:11:04

OT.......

I got a 4 track tape player, and I was wondering if you might have any idea why it.........  Grin

Sorry, cabin fever is  winning here  Embarrassed

“The biggest big business in America is not steel, automobiles, or television. It is the manufacture, refinement and distribution of anxiety.”—Eric Sevareid (1964)
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #2 - 02/14/19 at 11:59:18

4 track tape player ?????    I googled it and yes it existed back around 1960, but it predates me by about 10 years as my first tape player was a "state of the art" 8 track car cassette tape player installed in year 1971 in my 1966 Corvair.

I betcha MM has a GPS in his stuff somewhere that is old enough to be affected as for a while back there he used to like to buy cheap old used ones off of E-Bone and put them on his bikes.

« Last Edit: 02/15/19 at 20:29:46 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #3 - 02/14/19 at 12:49:04

Yep...my first was a 4 track, pert near set me back that when the 8 track came out, I had to eat it for a spell because that rendered all my tapes, etc, moot....

Funny how technology works like that  Grin

“The biggest big business in America is not steel, automobiles, or television. It is the manufacture, refinement and distribution of anxiety.”—Eric Sevareid (1964)
  IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #4 - 02/14/19 at 14:25:43

THIS explains why MM is always getting us lost in the mountains...his GPS has been suffering from this for several years already  Grin

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | Rotella T4 | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #5 - 02/14/19 at 15:05:09

stewmills wrote on 02/14/19 at 14:25:43:
THIS explains why MM is always getting us lost in the mountains...his GPS has been suffering from this for several years already  Grin

I heard he takes it with him into the restroom  Shocked

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #6 - 02/14/19 at 20:19:22

I betcha MM has a GPS in his stuff xomewhere old enough to be affected as for a while back there he used to like to buy cheap old used ones off of E-Bone and put them on his bikes.  

Last year I updated all of them to the "Life-time" up date models .   So "IF" Garmin holds up to their end of the deal ... we should be alright ... ?

Ray some of those places Stew and Dave get us into are so remote you need a GPS to FIND the bathrooms .  Grin

I used to ride by the "Compass" and general direction , that worked good till I started doing these MOUNTAINS  rides where the roads don't go strait for more than 100 yards at a time.    But they sure are FUN !

So , the clock on the GPS's are going to quit working ?

Smiley

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see.
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #7 - 02/14/19 at 22:06:03

MMRanch wrote on 02/14/19 at 20:19:22:
I betcha MM has a GPS in his stuff xomewhere old enough to be affected as for a while back there he used to like to buy cheap old used ones off of E-Bone and put them on his bikes.  

Last year I updated all of them to the "Life-time" up date models .   So "IF" Garmin holds up to their end of the deal ... we should be alright ... ?

Ray some of those places Stew and Dave get us into are so remote you need a GPS to FIND the bathrooms .  Grin

I used to ride by the "Compass" and general direction , that worked good till I started doing these MOUNTAINS  rides where the roads don't go strait for more than 100 yards at a time.    But they sure are FUN !

So , the clock on the GPS's are going to quit working ?

Smiley

Ok Mike.....I believe you.

If you hear any banjos playing, just turn around and haul butt away, you don't need a GPS for that, JUST GIT!  Grin

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #8 - 02/14/19 at 22:40:49

As I think I understand it, the things will still work but all location calculations get thrown off by rounding and math errors bouncing around inside the program because the clocks themselves won't be doing their jobs correctly.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #9 - 02/15/19 at 03:39:07

Both of the Garmin units we use in our cars are.........old.

They may suffer issues - they already suffer from being cumbersome to enter addresses.  (My phone is far more user friendly for navigation).

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Re: Older GPS devices clock accuracy
Reply #10 - 03/23/19 at 06:34:03

Y'all done been warned about this twice now, most of your wives DEPEND on that car GPS to work correctly.

My wife uses GPS inside town now for everything as she doesn't even keep a map in her car, period.   Hates a map, cannot read one unless she is stopped at a gas station.   Eyes have gotten too old she says.   She needs the phone to be up close so she can see it clearly.

April 6th is only 10 days away ......

If your GPS goes flaky in your car, your car maker wants over $100 for an update to "fix it".   This is for the same kludgy GPS that your car always had, just fixed a little bit.

Better is a $10.00 holder like this that can put your cell phone up where you can glance at it without taking your eyes off the developing road traffic patterns .....    This one from Amazon can be switched from car to car without too much trouble since it is a suction mount  --- there are variants that clip on to air vents too.

https://www.amazon.com/Windshield-Universal-Dashboard-Suction-Compatible/dp/B...

« Last Edit: 03/23/19 at 13:44:17 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #11 - 04/02/19 at 18:43:02

Tomtom sent me an email about this with a so called "fix", couldn't make the fix work on Linux, so went back to Windows, as the Tomtom is configured for Windows, tried on Windows but unsure of the results.

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #12 - 04/03/19 at 08:15:42

Well......2 more days and you will find out.

Seems like April 6th was the wrong day to pick....they should have picked the 1st so it would be April Fools!

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/01/24 at 10:27:59

General CategoryThe Cafe › Older GPS devices clock accuracy

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.