Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
dies under acceleration (Read 212 times)
fang
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

dies under acceleration
02/11/19 at 17:34:24

So I'm at a bit of a loss about what the problem could be

A friend of mine has a suzuki s40, 2008 i believe

The bike starts and idles fine but when accelerating it sputters and won't
accelerate beyond 15 miles an hour

We've cleaned the carbs with the exception of the accelerator pump? or maybe it's a decelerator pump, it's got 3 stuck philips head screws holding it in
I didn't have my impact driver on me at the time so that will have to be cleaned within the next few days

all ports and jets have been cleaned

The petcock has been tested, somewhat, the fuel will run from the line when it is in the prime position, it will also run in the on position and reserve (checked by disconnecting the vacuum line from the petcock while idling and it died)

we also pulled the petcock off and verified there wasn't anything blocking it, clean as could be

Nothing is blocking any air ports including the one in the front of the carb, the port that lets air into the upper diaphragm, I know sometimes aftermarket air filter housings can block them

The bowl float moves freely as well as the needle that the floats actuate

The upper diaphragm area has been cleaned and i cannot see any holes or anything in the upper diaphragm

We also checked the spark plug and verified it worked as well as the wire
I also checked the voltage at the battery thinking maybe it could be a charging issue with the battery voltage dropping but that checks out too

I disconnected the decompression cable thinking maybe the valve was stuck open, nada

double checked all the lines from the carbs and tank
the tank vent line is clear
the the vacuum line from the carb to the petcock is working and is pulling fuel into the carb
I verified the fuel flow by opening the carb drain bolt, gas came out so I know that is working
i also tried to run it with the gas cap off in case there was a vacuum issue with it, nothing

I'm not sure what else it could be, it was running fine until it was parked for a few weeks, had a little rain that probably got under the bike cover but it wasn't like soaked

I assume if the rain did something to the wires then there would be a blown fuse or something

I also pulled the exhaust to check the gasket, that was good as well

Could this accelerator pump be related to the issue?
Or is the piece on the side of the carb a decelerator pump?

To me it feels like the carb slide isn't reacting the way it should, almost as if it had a hole in it but i can't see one

Shocked

IP Logged
Yoshi
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

LongIsland, N.Y.
Re: dies under acceleration
Reply #1 - 02/11/19 at 22:11:30

You said you cleaned the carburator but did you clean the jets?
What's your air filter look like?
I'd rejet the main a step or 2 higher if you're going intonthe carburator again

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #2 - 02/12/19 at 07:07:41

The diaphragm behind the 3 screws is the TEV (Tranient Enrichment Valve), it is supposed to provide additional fuel when decelerating to help prevent backfiring noise.

Have you tried riding the bike with the petcock in the prime position?  The petcock diaphragm can become stiff as it ages, and fail to allow fuel flow at speed as the engine vacuum decreases when the throttle is opened.

Have you checked the battery/charging system for voltage?   A weak ignition system can cause these kind of symptoms.

When you had the carb apart....did you take the needle out of the slide....and put the spring and plate back properly?  The spring needs to be on the top of the needle pushing it down, and the plate needs to be installed so the holes in the bottom of the slide are not blocked.

Did you remove the float seat from the carb body and clean the screen on top of the brass seat assembly?

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Reply #3 - 02/12/19 at 07:59:13

With all that I have read and all that has been said, I don't see a lot of mention of the carb slide.   Sounds to me like it is stuck/sticking.
Check one:  
Tap around on the upper carb body while opening the throttle to see if it helps.
Check two:
Take the boot off the carb intake so you can see inside it with the bike running.  When you open the throttle, the slide should rise up.
If it doesn't, it could be a hole in the upper diaphragm (yes, I know you said you checked it), or just stuck (from dirt, finger print, whatever).
Try giving it a nudge up with a clean wood/plastic stick (or something that won't leave a scratch).

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
2000 - Green (Mad Hamish)
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut between the seat and the handlebars. Make sure yours isn't too tight or too loose.
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #4 - 02/12/19 at 08:05:13

The brass plate also has to be positioned ,with the dimple (right next to the needle) protruding down into the slide-(which should be clean and free of even fingerprints) and you should be able to see light through the two tiny vacuum ports in the bottom of the slide.
     In the bowl, besides what Dave and Youzguyz  said, you should check to see if the washer is on the main jet , it holds the needle jet body tightly up into the carb body and MUST be in place. you should also set the float level last before closing up .

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WTF is JOG?
Reply #5 - 02/12/19 at 09:56:14

youzguyz wrote on 02/12/19 at 07:59:13:
With all that I have read and all that has been said, I don't see a lot of mention of the carb slide.   Sounds to me like it is stuck/sticking.
Check one:  
Tap around on the upper carb body while opening the throttle to see if it helps.
Check two:
Take the boot off the carb intake so you can see inside it with the bike running.  When you open the throttle, the slide should rise up.
If it doesn't, it could be a hole in the upper diaphragm (yes, I know you said you checked it), or just stuck (from dirt, finger print, whatever).
Try giving it a nudge up with a clean wood/plastic stick (or something that won't leave a scratch).
--------------------------------------------------

This...  

It happened to me once.

IP Logged
norm92de
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

El Paso TX
Reply #6 - 02/12/19 at 10:25:15

I had the exact same symptoms but it was my fault since I had taken the top off the carb and got the slide spring cocked or something.

It sounds like you had the problem before you touched the carb so it is probably not what happened to me. Just a thought.

2014 S40. Raptor. idle mixture adj.Needle raised one notch. 4000' altitude. Stock jets. Shell Rotella synthetic.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #7 - 02/12/19 at 11:08:46

One year mine did that.
It would idle, but would not take throttle.
Puke and die..
I dumped the gas, and it healed up.
That was after sitting a few months.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
fang
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 02/12/19 at 12:35:15

Dave wrote on 02/12/19 at 07:07:41:
The diaphragm behind the 3 screws is the TEV (Tranient Enrichment Valve), it is supposed to provide additional fuel when decelerating to help prevent backfiring noise.

Thank you for clarifying that, on my yamaha road star it is labeled as a deceleration pump and it does the same thing

Have you tried riding the bike with the petcock in the prime position?  The petcock diaphragm can become stiff as it ages, and fail to allow fuel flow at speed as the engine vacuum decreases when the throttle is opened.

Yes I have tried riding it in all 3 positions with the same results each time

Have you checked the battery/charging system for voltage?   A weak ignition system can cause these kind of symptoms.

Yes i've checked it while running, twisting the throttle does not effect the voltage

When you had the carb apart....did you take the needle out of the slide....and put the spring and plate back properly?  The spring needs to be on the top of the needle pushing it down, and the plate needs to be installed so the holes in the bottom of the slide are not blocked.

When I had the carb apart I didn't end up taking the needle out of the slide, i just removed the diaphragm /slide assembly along with the needle and sprayed the needle and slide body off with carb cleaner, my friend who owns the bike had just cleaned his carbs out a few months prior so when I go check it out tomorrow I will take a look at the needle/slide assembly

Did you remove the float seat from the carb body and clean the screen on top of the brass seat assembly?

I didn't end up taking the float needle out i just verified the needle was moving up and down, i didn't realize there was a screen on the top of the seat I just assumed since the bowl was filling/ able to idle that it had sufficient gas flow

How would i go about testing the amount of gas coming out per minute for the on and reserve position of the petcock?

As for testing the flow rate per minute on the carb, I think  would I just leave the petcock on prime, allow the carb bowl to fill up, then after it is filled open the drain screw on the carb and measure how much pours out in ten seconds, then multiply that by 6?
Giving me the flow rate per minute?

I will take a look at the float seat and screen when i go look at it tomorrow

I need to talk him into just getting a gravity feed petcock, seems much easier to deal with

IP Logged
fang
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 02/12/19 at 12:46:58

Yoshi wrote on 02/11/19 at 22:11:30:
You said you cleaned the carburator but did you clean the jets?
What's your air filter look like?
I'd rejet the main a step or 2 higher if you're going intonthe carburator again

The air filter is good, it's basically a velocity stack with a mesh screen on it and it is clean
The main jet he has in there now is a 147.5 and it has been riding good up until a few weeks ago
That's what has me confused seems like it would be acting up when we re jetted it for the first time years ago

IP Logged
fang
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 02/12/19 at 12:50:29

youzguyz wrote on 02/12/19 at 07:59:13:
Check one:  
Check two:

That sounds like it could be the issue, It hadn't occurred to me that it could simply be getting stuck

What would you recommend for cleaning the top rubber portion?
I had just wiped it off gently with a paper towel but there is a good chance it could be dirty

I will try to clean that and check the needle and slide tomorrow

IP Logged
fang
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #11 - 02/12/19 at 12:55:08

batman wrote on 02/12/19 at 08:05:13:
The brass plate also has to be positioned ,with the dimple (right next to the needle) protruding down into the slide-(which should be clean and free of even fingerprints) and you should be able to see light through the two tiny vacuum ports in the bottom of the slide.
     In the bowl, besides what Dave and Youzguyz  said, you should check to see if the washer is on the main jet , it holds the needle jet body tightly up into the carb body and MUST be in place. you should also set the float level last before closing up .

I can't remember if we did the washer mod on the needle but I would assume so, I will be looking at it tomorrow to see if the plate is mounted up correctly, my friend who owns the bike said he cleaned the carbs a while back so maybe he put it in up side down

Thanks for all the info, I will be double checking on the floats as well

IP Logged
fang
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 02/12/19 at 12:58:23

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 02/12/19 at 11:08:46:
One year mine did that.
It would idle, but would not take throttle.
Puke and die..
I dumped the gas, and it healed up.
That was after sitting a few months.

That was my first thought and I had him dump the old gas from the tank and the petcock and get new stuff in there, no luck with it though  Undecided

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #13 - 02/12/19 at 13:29:46

fang wrote on 02/12/19 at 12:50:29:
What would you recommend for cleaning the top rubber portion?
I had just wiped it off gently with a paper towel but there is a good chance it could be dirty

I will try to clean that and check the needle and slide tomorrow

A dirty rubber   Huh  won't cause a problem.
Clean it with the wrong stuff and you'll have a problem.

It's made for a gas environment, gas on a paper towel shouldn't hurt it.

WWW   IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #14 - 02/12/19 at 19:33:09

OMG!     A velocity stack is terrible !!!!!!     ( even a cone filter-which isn't great- would be better) it will never work with a main jet as small as the stock 147.5 and the stock 52.5 Idle jet,  the bike is running dangerously lean !!!!!!  It's no wonder it stalls when the throttle is open! You'll need to get a proper filter , do the spacer mod and go to much larger jets , and I'd hate to ask what you're running for a muffler , (but I hope it's not a straight pipe) you should tell us as that also affects jetting.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/16/24 at 16:50:11

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › dies under acceleration

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.