philthymike
Serious Thumper

Wallowing in my own
crapulence

Philadelphia Area
Thumpy Still Thumping
02/03/19 at 21:36:54

Hey all,

I know it's been like two years or so but Thumpy still rides and I'm still alive. I thought I would stop by and give a report on old Thumpy a couple years and many miles later.
The only change Thumpy has had in all this time is changing that nasty Kenda rear tire for an Avon Cobra. This tire may have been the best money I've spent on the bike yet. Can you say transformed? All that skidding and sliding and general bad squarely behavior - GONE! There's so much grip now I can pull off sick nuts on Thumpy that I can't get away with on my Duck and not break a sweat. Traction galore and such an improved overall ride.

Anyway, product bump aside, I have been riding my LS650 as my main bike again since the Duck got the Disco Lights of Death last year.  Embarrassed
Eventually I'll have the $3K to fix what ought to be a recall but for now she can sit in the garage. At this point the only thing I miss is the heated gear she could run.
But Thumpy has been blissfully thumping along all this time without a hitch or a worry in the world. I still have the clutch slipping issue in 3rd gear. I just ignore it. It's probably healthier that this torque doesn't go to the wheel instantly. I might get reckless with it.

I got spoiled for awhile with all the modern miracles of my Hyperstrada but it didn't last long. In all honesty a bike like that takes the fun out of riding the backroads and twists. It all becomes an exercise in routine because it's so easy. But not so with the little thumper! You hang on for dear life, your adrenaline hits like a hammer, and afterwards you thank the blessed mother of acceleration.

Thumpy has come up against some bigger company in a competitive sense. And while he ain't setting any land speeds records he's had alot of tough comers scratching their heads in total wonder at why they didn't leave me in the dust. And in some cases why I got past them when the road started twisting. And the poor dudes with the Sportsters just never learn. I guess they have a greater appreciation of Thumpys tail light than me  Tongue

A buddy of mine who's a real long haul veteran and quite a bit advanced in age from me asked to ride thumpy one day. This is a dude who's risen coast to coast on just about every kind of bike starting with Honda's 1st 2 cylinder 350 right off the showroom floor in what? 74? I don't know...
Anyway this old fella came back with the biggest nuts eating grin and couldn't stop singing the bikes praises for the rest of the day. He's now in the market for a LS650. Go figure.

Anyway, I still ride the crap out of mine and it still ticks along as though it might continue doing so forever. To this day I have not had one single thought of selling it.
I seriously doubt I ever will. I may give this bike to my grandkids one day.

As for the Duck. Well the closest service dealer for her was an hour away. It got bought out and moved 2 hours away. Now that ones going out of business and the next nearest one is 3.5 hours away. crappity smack that! After I saved the repair cost and have the work done she's back on the market.
However they opened a Moto Guzzi dealership up 30 minutes from me. That MGX21 Flying Fortress looks like a nice long haul machine. Maybe. It can take the spot next to Thumpy where the Ducati languishes away in my garage.

07 S40 (Thumpy): 666cc big bore, stage 2 webcam, dyna muffler, 412 shocks, Barnett clutch, Kawasaki ZL900 FE
  IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Re: Thumpy Still Thumping
Reply #1 - 02/04/19 at 15:55:11

Is Duck a colloquialism for Ducati?

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #2 - 02/04/19 at 22:29:34

What a great update philthymike.  Does my heart good to hear that another biker is lovin their Savage.

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
Matchless G11

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Newfoundland NJ
Reply #3 - 02/05/19 at 03:25:48

jcstokes wrote on 02/04/19 at 15:55:11:
Is Duck a colloquialism for Ducati?

Yes, and a goose is a Guzzi.

IP Logged
philthymike
Serious Thumper

Wallowing in my own
crapulence

Philadelphia Area
Reply #4 - 03/27/19 at 09:46:29

DragBikeMike wrote on 02/04/19 at 22:29:34:
What a great update philthymike.  Does my heart good to hear that another biker is lovin their Savage.

Thanks. The more I ride it the more I love it. I love I can actually fix it too. Both my Ducati and my LS650 had electrical problems in the past year. The Ducati is totally impossible to fix at home thanks to ECU + CANbus + digital dashboard + sensors etc. etc.
You need the diagnostic systems and software only Ducati dealerships have for any effective troubleshooting.

OTOH with the LS650 I only needed a dirt cheap analog voltmeter, my brain, and some basic hand tools. After verifying the start switch, relay and solenoid were good it became obvious I had a bad connection somewhere. 15 minutes of unscrewing, unplugging connections and applying contact cleaner and the problem was solved.

I'm getting more and more wary of modern hi-tech bikes and concerned about a future where every bike is a rolling computer nobody can fix at home.

If bike makers aren't going to open source the firmware in the bike and the diagnostic software for troubleshooting it to the public then over time motorcycles will essentially have the same lifespan as your average desktop computer.

07 S40 (Thumpy): 666cc big bore, stage 2 webcam, dyna muffler, 412 shocks, Barnett clutch, Kawasaki ZL900 FE
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/20/24 at 00:30:57

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Thumpy Still Thumping

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.