Send Topic Print
Joeyt's Bike Build (Read 834 times)
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Joeyt's Bike Build
Reply #45 - 02/24/19 at 11:49:23

When you're done shooting high pressure water at it, and it won't start, you'll have a time figuring out what got wet. IF that happens.
I would not aim a pressure wand at any seals. Including the oring on the clutch arm.
Against all the instructions I always leave engines running when I start hosing them off. That way if it stumbles or dies I know what I was getting wet when it happened. Remember to jack up the sidestand enough to keep the cam oiling and don't piddle around if you go that way.
The engine degreaser might be a good idea, but I don't know what it would do to the clear coat.
Some Dawn dishwashing liquid in a spray bottle, let it soak, a waterhose rinse, repeat, might be a good answer.
I migrate tired home and kitchen brushes to the shop. A brush that fits glasses is handy, toothbrushes are great for the fins.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
joeyt
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #46 - 02/24/19 at 12:31:24

Justin, you're the nicest realist I've talked to. Low pressure garden hose and dish soap it is with an old toilet brush.  Grin

I'll keep the degreaser for any difficult spots on the engine casing.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #47 - 02/24/19 at 15:46:47

Thanks for the kind words.
Remember to spot test before giving it a big dose.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #48 - 02/24/19 at 15:53:28

Toilet brush may be a good start, but smaller radius stuff might be your friend.
Don't try to scrub clean on the first pass.
Water in the bottle, add dawn, wet it, might hit the parts that drain off again, let it sit, thirty minutes of soaking is easier than rubbing. Brush it off, soak it again,,
That's how I clean the shower. Well, I get In the shower when I'm ready to argue with the junk the water deposits..
anyway, you don't have to win on the first pass.

IP Logged
joeyt
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #49 - 03/03/19 at 09:59:06

Washed the engine a bit to get some grime off and took a few short videos to give you guys an idea of how she's running. There's a tick in one of the videos. I was holding her up for two of them, on the kick stand for one. Some of the smoke is probably steam, but the one by the exhaust port is what I mentioned the other day. It was smoking. Gut says head plug. I'm hoping it ain't. There's a rattle as well.

https://youtu.be/W_83_-lsFjo

https://youtu.be/DaR2RPYt9Mw

https://youtu.be/bRc0FDkbAzc

Also I had a muffler shop prep the muffler to fit on the bike. We overlooked the angle on the stock muffler, annnnd.. I'm going back to have him make an adapter for that.   Roll Eyes

Here's how she's sitting now, crappy header wrap job and all. Finally cleared some space in the garage.  Grin
« Last Edit: 03/03/19 at 17:28:04 by joeyt »  

P_20190303_165900_vHDR_Auto_1.jpg
  IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WTF is JOG?
Reply #50 - 03/04/19 at 04:23:34

Based on you videos, it looks like you need to do the head plug, adjust the valves and hope your cam isn't toast.  When you get done, loosen the header pipe, move it around a little until you feel it sitting square against the header gasket and then tighten everything back up.

IP Logged
joeyt
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #51 - 03/04/19 at 17:42:39

ohiomoto wrote on 03/04/19 at 04:23:34:
Based on you videos, it looks like you need to do the head plug, adjust the valves and hope your cam isn't toast.  When you get done, loosen the header pipe, move it around a little until you feel it sitting square against the header gasket and then tighten everything back up.

Does the header look eskew? I'll double check it anyway.

Replacement head plug ordered. Is red or copper rtv recommended for sealing the cover? I gotta say, I've read some of the resources on this fix and while I feel confident I can get the job done, it's a little unnerving as I've never torn a motorcycle engine apart or done valves. It can all be done on the bike correct? Anything to adjust after getting it all back together?I don't have to drain the oil to do the job I'm sure, or will I? Logic says its sitting down low.

« Last Edit: 03/04/19 at 18:50:04 by joeyt »  
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #52 - 03/04/19 at 20:28:34

Is red or copper rtv recommended for sealing the cover?
Neither.
Get a semiliquid. Hondabond , Yamanond, and you gotta be careful about the application.
You're setting the clearance between the cam journals and the head and cover.
Plenty of reading and preparation for this.

IP Logged
joeyt
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #53 - 03/04/19 at 22:04:25

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 03/04/19 at 20:28:34:
Is red or copper rtv recommended for sealing the cover?
Neither.
Get a semiliquid. Hondabond , Yamanond, and you gotta be careful about the application.
You're setting the clearance between the cam journals and the head and cover.
Plenty of reading and preparation for this.

Pencil thin bead of sealant, correct? Also, the clearance statement refers to setting/adjusting the valves correct? I was reading up on Verslagen's(I believe) write up concerning valves. It seems simple enough.  Wink

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #54 - 03/04/19 at 22:11:23

No.
Journals.
Fat sealer equals loose tolerances for the cam journals in the head.
Not good.
There are places to not apply sealer.
There is a central bolt that must be In the head cover as you set it. A corner bolt that's upside down, IIRC.
And fergoodniss sake make three or four careful, gentle passes with a short 1/4" ratchet.
It's easy to feel the bolts hit their
Clamping torque,
It's easier to fix a leak than a wrecked bolt.

In order to not have a puzzle going together,draw the shape of head cover on cardboard and put a slice for every bolt. Stuff the bolts in the slots.

IP Logged
joeyt
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #55 - 03/05/19 at 18:43:35

Little bit of an update on the muffler progress. Stopped by the shop on my way home from work and went "I told you so.  Roll Eyes" The guy was more than happy to grab a piece of tubing and ask what degree bend is needed and how long to make either end. I had him leave one end long so that we may shorten it later. The tube is maybe 4-6" long so I might have him chop enough to just fit it on the header. Test fitted and I kinda like the length after seeing it, kinda feel like it needs 2" off. What do y'all think?

P_20190305_181318_vHDR_Auto_1_1.jpg
  IP Logged
joeyt
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #56 - 03/09/19 at 18:38:35

Im in the middle of tearing the valve cover off, and before I go any further I'd like to ask for direction. I'm following the how to on this forum and have all the bolts off except the center one. I realized I should've found TDCC beforehand, and was wondering, is it easier to find it before the cover is off or after? I was intending to follow Serowbot's method of watching/feeling the intake rockers.

In other words, is it possible to find where I need to be by the camshaft position? If so, what would that position be?

Boy some of those bolts are in really tight spots, especially the two under the valve inspection covers. The baseball mitts glued to my wrists dont help either!  Shocked Roll Eyes

Edit next morning: Cover's back on and torqued down. Just trying to find the energy to adjust the valves before I button it all back up. That head cover is tight as all heck to fit through the frame!

Also, at this point, I think I'm going to do the spark plug door mod, just trying to find a spare bolt in my bolt box to decapitate.

« Last Edit: 03/10/19 at 13:54:20 by joeyt »  
  IP Logged
joeyt
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #57 - 03/29/19 at 12:16:09

Little update to mention I'm still alive. Life got in the way and I couldn't work on the bike for a little while. Still haven't adjusted the valves. I need to do brakes on the car then get back to the bike.

A buddy dropped off a spare dinky emgo muffler he didn't need that he had repacked with ceramic packing. I don't think I'll use it, but hey, free parts! He claims it didn't sound that loud on his Indian, though I'm skeptical.

Y'all ain't kidding about how tight it is to get the valves adjusted. My fat, amateur hands are an obstacle.

Things left to do:
Adjust valves.
Fit muffler.
Clean/rejet carb
Enjoy the Cali sun on two wheels.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #58 - 03/29/19 at 13:04:37

I take the leaf out of the feeler gauge and bend it to a Z shape and put a bit of a ski trip on the end.
You need to hold the adjuster with an offset screwdriver while you snug the nut. When you do that, it will raise the adjuster up, tight against the threads. Depending on how sloppy they are, it could slightly affect the adjustment.
The 05 had pretty loose threads and was a bit fiddly.
Having a magnet handy to retrieve the feeler gauge when you drop it can sure save a trip to the toolbox.

IP Logged
joeyt
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #59 - 04/09/19 at 10:37:15

Little update. I adjusted valves over the weekend. Found TDC by watching the intake valves open and feeling the weight on the piston shaft(terminology?) drop down as soon as the valves closed, and lined up the notches in the inspection port. Adjusted them so that .005 had a fair bit of friction to go in, but .004 went in and moved with a little less friction. Should be somewhere between the two now.

Fitted the dinky emgo after repacking with ceramic and what a waste pf packing. Without muffler the bike sounded deep and angry. With what I'm assuming the 1" ID emgo baffle has there was a nasty, loud as my ex blatty sound. I was going to install the cone engineering, but the muffler guy for whatever reason expanded the adapter. I fear there's too much slop now to make an airtight seal. Welp, I'll chop off the adapter later and keep the cone engineering for another project.

"I should've listened to the wiser gentlemen.." said Joey rather sheepishly as he sourced a Dyna muffler, which was a steal and will soon arrive.  Grin Embarrassed

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
06/25/24 at 17:31:31

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Joeyt's Bike Build

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.