joeyt
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Joeyt's Bike Build
Reply #30 - 02/14/19 at 21:17:28

norm92de wrote on 02/14/19 at 13:57:52:
Joeyt,
I'm sure you have been warned about not letting the drill go too deep when you drill the brass plug.

I put a sleeve on the drill so only a small portion of the drill was exposed.

Yes, sir. Thank you for the reminder. I was intending to use duct tape or spot weld a washer on a junk bit to act as a collar.

IP Logged
joeyt
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #31 - 02/15/19 at 10:06:57

My father volunteered to swap the petcock this morning while I had an emergency trip to the doctor's. Turns out a combination of ghost pepper, tequila, and grease now causes me severe pain a few hours later. Ohhh the karma. Anyway..

The bike starts right up with the Raptor petcock, without needing to fiddle with the throttle to get her going. One observation he made when getting to the vacuum side, is that the carb doesn't seem to have a line for a EPA canister. Take a look. If this is correct, did the '96 models not have them yet or could I possibly have a 49 state savage and not know it?

I'm referencing to post #15 in the carb spec thread for comparison.
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1098869040/15

P_20190215_090222_vHDR_Auto_HP_1.jpg
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #32 - 02/15/19 at 10:32:00

I have a '96 and it has it.
Even the '88 had it.

WWW   IP Logged
joeyt
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #33 - 02/15/19 at 10:43:31

verslagen1 wrote on 02/15/19 at 10:32:00:
I have a '96 and it has it.
Even the '88 had it.

Then I may have lucked out! Thank you again Vers! Hey, I'll be changing oil sometime next week and am thinking it's a good idea to pull the cover and check the chain tensioner. Will I need a OEM gasket, or would RTV suffice? Anything else to check while I'm in there? Roll Eyes

IP Logged
norm92de
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

El Paso TX
Reply #34 - 02/15/19 at 11:40:58

Joeyt,
The thickness of the stock white plastic spacer is .110 in case you need to know. Also, Mikuni on their other carbs, not ours, use grooves on the needle which are .035" apart which gives us an idea of what the manufacturer considers an adjustment standard.

2014 S40. Raptor. idle mixture adj.Needle raised one notch. 4000' altitude. Stock jets. Shell Rotella synthetic.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #35 - 02/15/19 at 11:46:58

joeyt wrote on 02/15/19 at 10:43:31:
Will I need a OEM gasket, or would RTV suffice? Anything else to check while I'm in there? Roll Eyes

RTV can work, but never had any luck myself.
clutch rod projection, and condition. depending how old it is, some get burrs.  I like to have 12 to 12.5 mm projecting out of the pack.
check the clutch lever position before you open it.

WWW   IP Logged
joeyt
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #36 - 02/15/19 at 15:48:57

Thank you all for the tips!

I just got off the phone with the shop that had said they'd do my header pipe. They backed out for whatever reason! And here I am sitting around with an unexpected check. Hmm.. getting the pipe made seems to be a hassle.

I have a 1.5" muffler. Too lazy to exchange for 1 3/4".

Two options I'm considering, what would you guys do?

1. Cave and order the beautiful Ryca header. I believe it's 1 3/4" tube. Have a shop expand muffler to fit. Maybe put a lollipop in the header if the muffler doesn't provide enough back pressure.

2. Give up altogether. Still expand the muffler to fit the stock header.

Is it better to go muffler smaller than header or larger than header? The carb will be rejetted as soon as I get the exhaust sorted, I swear! Love you for your carb kit btw, Mr. Lancer!

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #37 - 02/15/19 at 23:08:59

Muffler craziness ! That's why we recommend the Dyna muffler because it's a bolt on needing no mods and it works with a little carb tuning,  A smaller muffler may tend to act like a straight pipe ,not letting the gas expand at the end of the header pipe . A lollypop in the header pipe ? You might as well use a potato . You should do a bit more research on intake and exhaust tuning, trying to rig a custom exhaust is more complicated than you think ,most mufflers and pipes are design by companies that do nothing else , and they have been at it for years. Some new companies like Ryca make some of the worst I've ever seen, but they look good. With only 31 hp stock, you can't afford an exhaust system that 's loud, makes the bike run badly most of the time, and ends up making less power.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #38 - 02/16/19 at 03:53:43

I would not not go smaller than a 1 5/8” OD & 1 1/2” ID for a stock engine.   If planning engine mod’s later you might as well do the 1 3/4”OD &
1 5/8”ID pipe.  Do not make the header shorter that a stock header and if longer don’t add more that 3-4”.
It can be done on the cheap by getting a piece of pipe from a muffler shop 4’ long.  When I got mine it came as an 8’ piece so I had a spare piece left.  Cut the head off of an old header and take that, the pipe and your bike to a welder or muffler shop and have them copy your stock header shape & check it on the bike, have the head welded on and recheck fit, and if needed tweak the shape & length until you like the fit.  The whole process took about an hour at the shop.  $20 for the pipe and $40 for the welding and bending.
He can swag the end too if you like.

“Works good, lasts looong time GI” 😁🇺🇸👩‍🚀🎖⚔️

IP Logged
Eegore
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #39 - 02/16/19 at 08:51:18

"With only 31 hp stock, you can't afford an exhaust system that 's loud, makes the bike run badly most of the time, and ends up making less power. "

This is correct from my experience.  I currently own three of these bikes and the one with a Harley Dyna outperforms easily the one with a straight pipe.  This being the only difference between those two bikes.

IP Logged
Irish Bill
YaBB Newbies

O'l Skool Street
Bobbers Rule

Fenimore, New York
Reply #40 - 02/16/19 at 17:49:12

Sent you a private message...

1996 Suzuki Savage Street Bobber, Arlen Ness Air Filter, El Diablo Ape Hangers, Kuryakyn Flame Mirrors with more parts to come...
WWW   IP Logged
joeyt
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #41 - 02/18/19 at 12:02:42

Boy this weekend was busy busy. Welp, exhaust troubles will be addressed sometime this week or next. I really like the cone muffler, so I'm being a little hardheaded about it.

Fresh oil and filter hopefully tonight to solve the gas in crankcase issue, then I'm just going to ride it as is this week with the lack of rain.  Would it be necessary to flush oil again after a few dozen miles? Im not sure if these engines have nooks for old oil to stay in after a change.

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #42 - 02/18/19 at 17:51:03

What little gas that might be in the oil trapped in the oil passages , should evaporate the first time the motor reaches temperature.( gas evaporates at 89F your oil reaches 270+F in the bottom of the motor).

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #43 - 02/18/19 at 19:59:23

batman wrote on 02/18/19 at 17:51:03:
What little gas that might be in the oil trapped in the oil passages , should evaporate the first time the motor reaches temperature.( gas evaporates at 89F your oil reaches 270+F in the bottom of the motor).

or an air leak in your header or muffler joints.

WWW   IP Logged
joeyt
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #44 - 02/24/19 at 11:32:53

Happy to report I changed the oil(old stuff jet black and sorta gritty, yikes) and sorted the stalling on decel/stop issue. I upped the idle screw. I read somewhere that it being adjusted correctly will pull you 8-10mph in first gear throttle off, correct? I'm sitting at 10. Turns out there really wasn't much gas in the oil, maybe .5qt opposed to the gallon or more thought previously.

I did however notice that there's a leak at the header as well, and a few other places that could be either built up crap, or leaks. There's smoke coming out of what seems to be the exhaust port. New gasket will be installed at time of swapping muffler.

I'm going to either degrease the engine when it cools(and find my garden hose) or ride it to work next weekend and steam clean it there.  All in all, I'm glad to have made a little progress and ride it.  Grin

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
06/16/24 at 05:52:44

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Joeyt's Bike Build

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.